Xbox Acquisition |OT2| Something, Something, Snowball Effect

Since the Bloomberg articles said that Xbox was in talks to acquire studios we have had news of kojima games, Japanese games coming to xbox, rumors of them buying IPs and more. I wonder if they will buy studios and who could the be? I hope its bokeh studios or Nakamura new studio. I absolutely don’t expect them to buy any big publisher in Japan, at least not until they have a lot more mind share in Asia.

The exception to that could be a publisher that has popularity in the West. I still look at Sega as someone like that with their European studios and pc presence.

I think the next purchase will be under either Bethesda label or a publisher purchase.

1 Like

But pretty much the big publishers all already have PC presence with western studios. Sega, Square Enix, Capcom. Money is also not an issue, it’s the owners willingness to sell. In the bethesda letter they said they wouldn’t sell to anyone but Xbox. For example, Nintendo didn’t want to sell despite Microsoft having the money to do so.

So I guess the good news is that the AI Medical Company shows us that if the price is right that Publically traded companies are good to go acquisition wise.

7 Likes

There is never a problem in purchasing the public company. It is more about whether some other company will decide to participate in bidding. Like for example in case of Codemasters or Leyou.

If MS really wants something, there is a handful of companies that can overbid it. For private companies it is easier as the owners might personally want to sell it to somebody and so on.

4 Likes

Not sure if Behaviour has any interest in selling, but wow, they’ve been growing a lot.

4 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

DbD 2?

More expansions?

Juggling Dbd/DbD2/New Ip?

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I’ve been thinking a little bit more about the importance of PC.

Right now there are roughly 50 million units sold of the Xbox One & Xbox Series consoles. It’s still proving to be a limited user base to sell Gamepass to. Whereas with PC you have over 1.5 billion gamers.

With games like The Show 21 hitting the Xbox, Gamepass’s value is hard to deny. But the PC version of Gamepass is still somewhat bare bones compared to the console version and it becomes more apparent when games like The Show 21 are not available on PC. PC Gamepass feels like a good year and a half behind the console version.

The reality is that there are going to be some console only offerings and it makes sense for Microsoft to have some PC only offerings. The perfect genre for that are RTS games.

Having SEGA’s PC offerings seems like it could be a cornerstone of Gamepass PC. Between that and AoE, They could lock up a critically important PC gaming genre.

So I was thinking that any near term future acquisition should have a significant impact on PC. Get that ball rolling so that it as irresistible as console Gamepass by the end of '22.

3 Likes

Why I been thinking that Paradox although not a sexy name in the console space would be a great purchase for the PC aspirations.

3 Likes

I know they expanded a bit due to DBD Mobile (seemingly a separate team than the main team), they also do a lot of contract work too. Wouldn’t be surprised if they start working on another original IP soon.

Ok this is going to be hilarious… gonna post just before bed then wake up to the craziness.

Enjoy :joy:

6 Likes

I don’t understand?

Look at his shirt

3 Likes
2 Likes

Sega incoming

How often in do MS people wear T-shirts with Sega?

Also looking at all those Metal Gear Solid smoke around MS, something is probably brewing there too.

1 Like

Don’t do that to yourself Chucke

2 Likes

Bbc Reaction GIF by Line of Duty

Malik posted pics last week of the same day at the office with his Sega shirt on. Don’t get your hopes up ppl. Not sure he is the person they would have on board for such a big announcement.

5 Likes