Xbox Acquisition |OT| - So We’re Back to Making Lists, Huh?

That would be cool. If it’s mostly gameplay, I’d love to just see a new trailer or two drop every day till launch. Constant stream of news, people excitedly checking every day. Could drop a surprise game announcement in here and there.

1 Like

Yeah, I think they’re definitely gearing up for something. The ‘Power Your Dreams’ trailer, the announcement of a digital FanFest, some of Greenberg’s teases, etc.

I could be grasping at straws but I’m really hopeful that we hear another big bombshell right before launch day a la the Bethesda announcement.

Well it looks like Take Two purchased Ruffian Games, which is a good reminder that publishers are also always looking for new studios. The amount of acquisitions going on right now is reminiscent of the 90s, and having the reminder that it’s not just the platform holders looking at acquisitions definitely makes the times a bit interesting. I wonder if anyone else was bidding on Ruffian, and/or whether we’re going to start seeing some bidding wars on a studio or two.

2 Likes

Oh really

3 Likes

Curious on what “big” means in this context.

2 Likes

Yea a popular theory is techland

3 Likes

I’ll take Techland, Asobo, Sega, and Bungie thank you. At this point, because of the absurdly high bar Microsoft set “big” has an entirely different meaning now ;p

6 Likes

Yeah I know this is a longshot but Take Two Interactive CEO was saying on a interview that Microsoft balance sheet looks pretty good and hes see more aquistion from Microsoft, hopefully its them, or CD Projekt Red.

2 Likes

Guys, guys, guys!

Take-Two!

@Raider_Might :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Please add Take-Two on the menu. Thanks!

Let me dream! Lol.

1 Like

yeah but this is small publisher

they need big studio like FromSoftware :doge: :booty: :p3:

2 Likes

Realistically Techland or Bungie will be considered big acquisition

and if it’s publisher then it going to be private company like WB Games :batman: :batphil:

I personally would love for the two studios hinted at to be Bungie and Techland. The technical expertise alone would be a win, and then you consider the IP. The sky’s truly the limit after Bethesda.

1 Like

The ceo of bungie said no flat out twice!!!

Let it go lol

Jez even said he heard it wasn’t ms taking to bungie

2 Likes

Sorry but just because Jez hadn’t heard it means nothing when the entire industry was caught by surprise with Bethesda; acquisitions, with a few rare exceptions, are incredibly tight-lipped affairs. Additionally, the Parsons denial also means nothing in the business world, and when even Eurogamer ran the story only after receiving multiple, independent corroborations from their sources talks definitely did happen. Whether or not it ends in an acquisition, no one knows, but denying a rumor that’s been verified seven ways to Sunday isn’t a good-faith stance.

2 Likes

In response to the earlier tweet

This guy knew about the Bethesda acquisition in August

3 Likes

My hope, if there is an acquisition out there that is yet to be announce and it’s one of the names that has been rumored, that it’s either Sega/ATLUS or Asobo. I wouldn’t be upset with Bungie or Techland, but I feel like there are already plenty of studios within Xbox Game Studios/Bethesda that offer in terms of First Person shooters or First Person action/adventure games.

Sega/ATLUS on the other hand, would make Xbox a JRPG powerhouse overnight with Persona, Phantasy Star Online, Shin Megami Tensei, and Valkyria Chronicles; they also have studios like Relic and Creative Assembly, who have worked on Halo Wars and Gears Tactics; Sega’s back catalog would be huge for Game Pass; Sonic would give them the kid-friendly mascot that they’ve always lacked; and they would give Microsoft a Japanese publishing arm.

Asobo is a studio that seems to be on the brink of greatness. It makes sense, even with a 10 year contract, to lock them down for Flight Simulator. Also, A Plague Tale would make an awesome first party addition in terms of third person story driven games.

1 Like

Look, I follow this guy on Twitter because I try to get as many sources as possible, but tweeting a bunch of vague “I know who they’re buying” statements with a massive cloak of ambiguity leaves a lot of room to claim later that they “knew before anyone”. Without a fragment of a hint like @Klobrille often does, I’m not going to give credence to someone who makes claims like this; believe me, I’d love for him to be a credible “insider”, but until he’s got a track record and makes more than vague well-timed claims, I’d hesitate to apply any veracity to him carte blance just yet.

Edit: I meant to mention the old adage of a clock being right twice a day, and so far that’s all we’ve got from this guy. Unless someone with sources can validate his status, I’m hesitant to do so.

Edit 2: Also, if that tweet holds any water, then I’ll eat my shoe with a side of gravy… and keep buying more Game Pass subscriptions.

1 Like

I would temper expectations for this year.

1 Like

Well, he gets a lot of attention rn. He did say sometimes he had no info on things so there’s that. But during summer nobody knew who he was. And he said Microsoft was working on something big for xbox(acquisition). IMO he has credibility.

1 Like