Xbox Acquisition |OT| - So We’re Back to Making Lists, Huh?

I still see Techland as the most likely to already have been acquired. Radio silence from them, the web sites hasn’t been updated since 02-21-2020, game silent delayed, massive new building, apparently working another AAA new IP. They have something up there and it strikes me as one of the big names that would have acquired them because they are the only ones that sit on these announcements.

6 Likes

Well good sir or madam, I am in the hopeful boat with you there as Techland would be an incredible get. Every day I warm up more to the idea of Bungie being one of the other studios acquired, or will be acquired, so I would be jumping with joy if those two were the two currently in the mix. Obviously, I have a whole list of others that would be a great fit; Asobo probably crowning the top of that wish list, but I think with the additional Xbox project and Flight Sim’s 10 years support-contract, I could see Microsoft taking a slower pace in acquiring them. I just hope they don’t wait to long and let them get picked up by Focus or some other publisher.

1 Like

I remember on the other site I had mentioned Techland and everyone thought I was crazy.:joy:

Like I’ve said before. I’d love to see them get a full crazy budget for some game. Dying Light has yet to grab me (I loved Dead Island though), but I can definitely see the appeal.

2 Likes

Yeah I really like Bloober as well. They understand elements of good horror. Not just jump scares. Region is a good one for growth so I could see them growing into a premier horror studio long term.

Don’t forget Compulsion in that list. I believe their next game will be horror themed.

For Poland, I feel like Bloober and People Can Fly still make the most sense on paper. Both have relationships with Microsoft. Outriders looked generic AF when I first saw it but after watching some gameplay and listening to the people preview the game, it looks to have a lot of potential. Like a mix of Gears and Destiny. PCF recently expanded. They also just filed an IPO prospectus so not sure if they makes them less likely.

Interesting blub from Reuters: https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-poland-ipo/people-can-fly-video-games-company-plans-warsaw-ipo-idUKKBN25S52J Polish video games developer People Can Fly plans an initial public offering in Warsaw this year, as rising valuations of listed gaming companies combined with record-low interest rates and high inflation have attracted investors to the sector.

It confirms the narrative that Polish studios are hot commodities right now. As an aggressive shopper, Microsoft is probably in the mix.

1 Like

I feel like there’s more aquistion to come than just than just two that’s being rumored, If Microsoft was willing to enter the mix into making a 4 billion dollar bid for WB Gaming while bagging Zenimax for 7.5 billion you got to be making multiple transactions.

2 Likes

They’re definitely shopping, but the studios have to be willing to sell too.

Definitely a lot of possibilities out there, even with ones that have expressed no interest in acquisition in the past (like Asobo).

2 Likes

I love Compulsion, and had no idea that their next title was going to be a Horror title. Few, if any, games have as effective of world-building as We Happy Few and Contrast was such a gem of a title as well. Seeing what they can do with a budget, time, and Xbox resources is going to be a treat beyond treats.

I personally would prefer to see Techland than PCF, but that’s purely from a consistency standpoint tinged with a bit of personal bias.

Yeah the willingness to sell is often overlooked, but I wonder how the pandemic may have shifted studios that may have felt differently in the past. I know that gaming overall is doing great, but there are still smaller devs who haven’t been getting that boost and still have overhead that larger devs and publishers are insulated against (rent, qa contracts, etc.).

1 Like

Great point, makes you think if the pandemic was the deciding factor in the Zenimax aquistion.

1 Like

I think Techland is a bigger get as well. Just speculating on which might be realistic targets. A studio with multiple teams and an existing relationship seems like a realistic target. PCF might be the next up and coming studio out there due to their recent growth.

5 Likes

Dying light 2 as exclusive will be system seller and service seller (GP and Xcloud) in 2021

it will be killer lineup for Xbox in 2021

Halo Infinite

Wolfenstein III

MSF 2020

Dying Light 2

Psychonauts 2 Next Gen Version

this is without timed exclusive games

Microsoft usually makes good on previous commitments. Would be shocked if they canceled the PS5 version of Dying Light 2 with a purchase. Everything after would likely be exclusive though.

2 Likes

Possibly add Starfield.

3 Likes

That is true but in this case it’s different they are not tied to a contract

1 Like

Yeah I think that’s the key. Microsoft wouldn’t be sighting anyone they work with or try to partner with. Don’t see any way they lose by making it exclusive

1 Like

Neither was Psychonauts. I think Microsoft is carefully threading the needle here. If a game hasn’t been shown or officially announced as coming to PS5, they’ll pull it and make it exclusive. Pulling a game like Dying Light 2 right before it crosses the finish line would recieve more backlash.

2 Likes

Acquiring techland would be huge, with Dying light 2 coming out probably early 2021, MS would also get to promote the Fantasy RPG Techland has been working on since 2016, which the studio hopes to release a year or two after the launch of Dying light 2. this studio would instantly give Xbox two AAA big hitter games in just over a year.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m down Techland, I honestly want Microsoft to be ruthless when it comes to Poland acquire, acquire, and acquire.

4 Likes

I hope MS looks at Crytek as a possible acquisition, you can tell they’re working on VR games and remasters just to stay afloat, they remind me of Guerrilla games, who both are technically advanced in graphics that make first person shooters(Crysis/Killzone) but given the creative freedom, money and resources they can go out and make the next great franchise like HZD.

No they bought publishing rights for 13M and the game was crowd funded on Fig https://www.fig.co/campaigns/psychonauts-2

also for techland did they say the game is coming for PS5 or the game is coming to next gen ?

1 Like