Xbox Acquisition |OT| - So We’re Back to Making Lists, Huh?

Lol, fair enough. Though I think many will blame Microsoft for acquiring well above our wildest hopes :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s precisely why I’m hoping no one does. I know the content wars are here but I’m genuinely hoping that all the gaming industry isn’t just a few remaining indies and the rest of IP/Publishers being swallowed up by Microsoft, Amazon, and Google.

2 Likes

What we should all be hoping for instead of plotting ways for Microsoft to conquer the industry.

2 Likes

Lol I hope there’s sarcasm there… :no_mouth:

2 Likes

There would’ve been, but Microsoft bought that too.

5 Likes

Idk, Microsoft has really given devs a lot of resources and support. They’ve also been working on bringing back old but good IP. I’d love to see that with Sega. They have a ton of great dormant IP.

3 Likes

You don’t have to convince me that Sega should be brought into the fold, I’ve been an evangelistic for the SegaXbox religion since the OG Xbox days; I now think it’s the smartest large acquisition for growth after Bethesda’s.

As for Microsoft’s treatment of developers they’ve brought in, I absolutely agree and have heard nothing but great things. That said, competition is good and a diverse industry is also good, so I don’t want it to become some ultra-capitalist monopoly or three-corporation industry. I just think that it’s better for the industry if Microsoft didn’t own everything, and that’s coming from a staunch Microsoft/Xbox supporter.

9 Likes

Agreed. The start of this gen and the 7th is already showing what happens when Sony goes complacent. Current gen what happens when MS and Nintendo does. It’s not good!

2 Likes

It’s not just the console wars, the sheer number of people coming into the ecosystem as well would be a huge benefit. Can not ever see it happening though.

That’s what Amazon, Google and Tencent are there for. Whenever there is competition, one will always replace another competitor. It’s just how things work out in the end. Not saying Sony and Nintendo are going away, far from it. But they’ll have their own market to cater to. The next five years are going to be really interesting.

3 Likes

Moving away from big publisher acquisitions, I was just reminded of Little Hope, the new Dark Anthology chapter; Supermassive Games could complete a perfect triumvirate of DONTNOD and Interior Night for XGS. Those types of narrative, choice-driven titles really fit Game Pass perfectly.

I think those three studios also fit XGS perfectly, especially given the relationship two of the three have had with MS. I’ve said multiple times DONTNOD would be perfect to fill in that genre gap (and the fact that they have some experience beyond with Vampyr and Remember Me), but Interior Night and Supermassive both have some incredible industry veterans at their studios. It’s just another reminder how many independent studios are out there that could really benefit Xbox’s portfolio, diversity, and global reach.

I still have a little bit of Sega fanboy in me dating back to the Sega Genesis, the GOAT console. The Sega partnership on the OG Xbox added a lot of magic to it for me. Panzer Dragoon, JSRF and even Gunvalkarie were all games I remember fondly.

If I had to guess, there’s going to be a partnership with Sega rather than a purchase. The hope is that a Game Pass partnership opens up possibilities to bring back a lot of niche IPs that otherwise wouldn’t work in the traditional economic landscape of gaming. Another Panzer Dragoon. Another JSRF. Reboot Shinobi and Outrun. Skies of Arcadia is a huge opportunity as a Xcloud killer app in Japan. If Microsoft can negotiate something significant with Sega to round out the rest of these purchases, in my opinion the Game Pass library is well rounded and pretty close to complete.

3 Likes

@Shpeshal_Nick in investigation mode

3 Likes

:scream:

1 Like

Both the CEO denying it and Jez’s first comment makes me think it’s not MS ://///

Ahhhh that game pass deal was huge how could they not land the acquisition

I hope it’s ms

Jez is just saying that it could be anybody, which is true. It could be Xbox or it could be not, if we aren’t reading too much into all that.

Tencent loves live service games.

1 Like

Sony needs Bungie more than anyone else right now. If I were to identify holes in Sony’s first party lineup it’s with online multiplayer shooters. They have great single player games that can be finished over a long weekend, but few high profile games that keeps players engaged over months, apart from GT Sport.

And $2 billion is affordable for a company that Sony’s size. Knowing them, they’ll get Sony Pictures to do a Destiny movie too so they can make the IP more recognizable. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

They also need to respond to MS after last week, and ensure MS (or Google/Amazon) doesn’t pick them up either.

I’m not saying one is more likely than the other, just saying that Sony needs them more than MS (who is perfectly fine in the online shooter category).

4 Likes

It makes most sense for Sony and tencent I agree with you guys

The game pass deal is just throwing me off

Launching a brand new expansion which for destiny is as close to being sequels as you can get DAY ONE into gamepass is huge

Why sign that and then sell to someone else

2 Likes

If the deal aint done you operate business as usual until it is.