Xbox Acquisition |OT| - So We’re Back to Making Lists, Huh?

I get that but they want to sell gamepass having one or two studios over their would not be a waste imo

I agree, I was just trying to elaborate on @Marduk’s point.

People like me like Japanese games and you need those type of games for gamepass

3 Likes
  • Asobo
  • Bloober
  • Studio MDHR
  • IOI (love Hitman, but Phil would allow this to be multi-plat)

xCloud will get into markets where perhaps consoles aren’t a thing and most play on their phones. South Asia, Middle East, Africa, etc.

1 Like

Trust me if Xbox dominated the western market especially US, no Japanese game will skip Xbox unless if it published by Sony or Nintendo.

They literally mention WB Interactive in their statement, so yes it does have something to do with them.

I still think getting one or two would not be a waste or a bad thing

They had Japanese games skipping them when the 360 sold 85 million, and they have Japanese games skipping them now with ~55 million Xbox Ones. How many sales do they have to get before Japanese games stop skipping Xbox?

Anyway as others have said, the reason to invest in studios in Japan is because they have a great talent pool and add to the diversity of titles on offer via Game Pass. And that’s a really good reason. Of course it’s not unique to Japan, but Japan stands out on both counts.

3 Likes

If we were just talking console sales in Japan, sure. We’re not though. Japan is a viable market through 5G streaming. The Japanese games have also regained popularity in the West after some down years. Japan is important to the longtime gaming enthusiast therefore cannot be ignored.

5 Likes

They NEED to buy Asobo and Bloober. I know Bloober is public and they do not usually buy those but both these studios are perfect for Xbox

1 Like

I agree completely with everything you’re saying. Continue to package mp with games like gears and halo. That’s fine. My argument is that this treatment shouldn’t be mandatory for every one of their franchises

1 Like

I hope they get a JRPG studio down the road. They are great on every other genre I enjoy.

2 Likes

Absolutely agree, and they’ve shown just how much they improve from project to project even with a small budget increase.

On a side note, I disagree with the takes that feel the need to skip the investment in Japanese games. Even if the console market is a dud there for Xbox, the potential for XCloud could be massive given their mobile play style and fantastic networks. Additionally, Japanese citizens aren’t the only ones that play Japanese-made titles, and as someone who’s been sinking the COVID hours into the Yakuza series on Game Pass, I appreciate every title we can get.

2 Likes

This is not true. EuroGamer got it very wrong.

7 Likes

Microsoft buying Japan and making it a Xbox exclusive!

3 Likes

Eurogamer got something wrong… color me surprised. In all seriousness, there anti-MS bias was already enough reason to ignore most of their reporting, but over the past year or so with their late reporting, false claims, and omission of important stories have convinced me to swear off pretty much all of their content save for Digital Foundry.

What’s Iron Galaxy up to as of late? I haven’t heard anything about them for a while.

…because the western market likes their games too, maybe? You know japans market for consoles isn’t that big anymore and alot of sale on Japanese games more than likely come from the west. Saying only focusing on the west is what ms did the later half of the 360 and majority of the one generation, and those games didn’t come. Getting Japanese games is to help eastern markets more than gettin into japan

Daedalic for Adventures, Japanese Companies for variety, Playful, PLaytonic because I want old Rare IPs renewed.

Well unfortunately one of my wishes is out at least. Not sure how I feel given THQ Nordic’s checkered history, but if it means 4A isn’t having to scrounge for funds then I’m happy. Here’s hoping that MS sees the market as it is and starts being aggressive in their pursuits (which I think we can assume given the SEC statement).