Xbox Acquisition |OT| - So We’re Back to Making Lists, Huh?

honestly IO Interactive fits that the best I think. Mostly because Jez corden said on an xbox two podcast a while ago that ms wanted to buy IO interactive back when they were first spun off from square enix, but that they couldnt come to an agreement for the hitman IP from square Enix so they didnt go ahead with it. Maybe Square needs the money for the IP now, and especially with the hitman trilogy done for a long time could be more willing to sell it. Plus IO interactive are working on 007 now.

Even if 007 wasnt exclusive I dont care, I love IO interactive and the hitman games are so good, I would love for xbox to acquire them so they can keep doing what they do best!

3 Likes

The acquisition process is dead there. Almost a last man standing kind of a process. The issue was not the bid amount, but who was willing to go through the pieces that TikTok was going to leave behind, and the international politics that was just shadowing the acquisition.

1 Like

And if IOI are the current licensees of James Bond, XBox might try and restart the GoldenEye 64 remaster, but it seems like these film franchises are licensing out to anyone interested non-exclusively.

I don’t think its IO Interactive. Whether or not they came with the Hitman IP wouldn’t matter since Xbox would still be getting incredible talent. The way it was mentioned in the podcast was that it wasn’t worth it without the IP which I think aligns more with Gearbox or Platinum.

1 Like

Not so sure. The tone used in the podcast was not one of excitement and they implied the deal would only be exciting if it came along with something else. I’d persnoally say that IOI would be an amazing steal, even without any IP. So for me, it doesn’t fit the bill.

But Hitman has probably been my favourite series of this generation

2 Likes

I agree I don’t think it’s IOI. Although they didn’t specify that it was an IP they were referring to. Just SOMETHING. I assume it’s an IP. but it could just as easily be an engine or a game store/front. But an IP is the most likely.

Basically, it sounded like a potential acquisition that:

• Has not made critically lauded games in the past - or they have made games that were middling, review-wise
  • The particular speaker is not a massive fan of
  • Has worked on or owns/previously licensed an IP that could be worth getting; and/or
  • Has developed it;s own tech e.g. engine, that could be useful

Honestly, I was on a run when listening to the pod, so give it a listen to make sure I’m not talking broken biscuits… Get working sleuths!

1 Like

What’s unbelievable is the lengths people are going on the basis of someone’s mood during a podcast :sweat_smile:

It’s peak level of speculation right here

5 Likes

Idk how about someone like Turtle Rock :turtle:

1 Like

I mean, he did specifically say it wouldn’t be worth it without the IP. That narrows it down quite a bit, doesn’t it?

Turtle Rock is actually a good guess. We don’t know what’s the deal behind Back 4 Blood. I honestly wouldn’t mind seeing Evolve come back either…

2 Likes

he didn’t say that. Jon said something along the lines of “Yeeaaaah, but only if [REDACTED] sound” :rofl:

Thinking about it more it kinda fits WB, maybe they are back on the table? It wouldnt make sense for either AT&T or xbox to buy them without some extensive license agreement, so the studios might not be that exciting by themselves without any of the WB IP but with the ‘something else’ being WB IPs they would be good.

I dont think gauging what the presenters mood was is going to help at all :smiley: thats reading the tea leaves too far imo

1 Like

You guys are right, I totally misremembered that. I thought he mentioned that it wasn’t worth it without the IP. He didn’t.

And sorry to the podcasters about not saying stuff by your names, I’m a new listener. hah

2 Likes

Haha. maybe you’re right. I felt it was less mood and more, they just aren’t excited by the developer in question. Who knows?!

I’d love WB. They have some serious talent. Buy them and unleash them all on new IP.

3 Likes

In my opinion any deal like this (2 year exclusives) – points to financial instability. You are moneyhatting to get capital in advance for adjusting your finances. This makes Square Enix a viable target, IMHO.

The comedy and just pure saltiness would be worth watching if Xbox acquires SE.

Sperasoft are already owned by kewords o believe

• Asobo – opted for a PE investor which was very strange. Not a good investor choice.
  • Bungie – likely a part of a bidding war right now
  • Moon – most likely wants to be independent with Activision Private Division doing the publishing. I find this slightly annoying that Moon was given an opportunity with Xbox, but pushed for a Switch version and then went the multiplatform route. I don’t think the chemistry works with Xbox. Talented, but seem to be headed in the direction of the blue team.
  • Ubisoft – too many people, probably the largest publisher in terms of employee strength. Some good IPs. Not a fan.
  • Dontnod – very talented studio with interesting ideas. Have resisted being acquired. Let’s see.
  • EA – best to buy IP rather than opt to buy EA. Besides, EA is 30bn+
  • Valve – must buy – but depends on Gabe and co.
  • Square West – must buy – simply for the way the media and the blue team treated Xbox for the Tomb Raider series. Death threats and all to the actors by them, and the media just brushed it under the carpet. Buy it to make an example for the blue team followers. Crystal Dynamics and Eidos are amazing studios, btw.

Xbox is close to several small studios. The ones that you listed are in the limelight always.

1 Like

One of my favorite trailers ever, they have really good dev diaries too. Hope that game turns out great.

1 Like

I think you mean Private Division (Take Two) for Moon. I’d been speculating for months before the deal was announced that their next game would be with PD. Perfect fit for what they’re looking for.

1 Like

Yup, my bad. Thanks @NierlyCrazy

2 Likes

No worries.:slight_smile:

1 Like