Xbox Acquisition |OT| - So We’re Back to Making Lists, Huh?

WB has some extremely talented studios. Almost all of them have been good. Would love to see most of them get to work on new IP. Just don’t think ATT is selling without deals on those IPs. Also, as much as Microsoft needs family games, TT’s 5 studios all have been one dimensional. I wonder how well they’d do working on other types of games besides Lego.

We do have to remember that Netflix borrowed Disney’s IPs for most of their rise. Now they can rely on their own. WB and a 10 year deal for their IPs might not be the worst thing…but again, outside of Batman, Mortal Kombat and a return to FEAR, I’d like to see them work on new IP if that choice were given.

Wild card will continue to be Tencent, Google and Amazon pushing in the background.

1 Like

:clap:

Doesn’t work that way. You get all or nothing.

The lego piece might be the biggest in their offerings for what Xbox needs.

MS are not interested in the WB licenses at all. I think however they have strong interest in this particular studio due to thier need for a premier fighting dev. My analysis is about as valid as yours mate who still thinks MS are interested in teams like Asobo, or Studio Wildcard.

Time will tell who is right and I will remember this message

If WB can’t find a buyer for all thier studios, they will have no choice but to sell independently. Doesn’t seem they are having much luck so far

No, they’ve pulled them from sale for now. Doesn’t mean they will forever, but they won’t sell them individually. And why wouldn’t Microsoft want them all anyway? Makes no sense.

1 Like

Listeing to teh recent Era posdcast, one presenter (I’m terrible at remembering which…Sorry!!)…mentioned he’d heard a rumoured acquisition that left him “meh”…unless it came with “XXX”.

Now, that suggests to me a studio that he felt underwhelmed about, unless it either came with a specific IP, or an engine, or something else.

There’s some pretty unique takes amongst that presenter group, in terms of game taste’s, so I can’t really speculate as to what would make them go “meh”…but I know one presenter has taste totally opposite to me…he slags off TLOU2 constantly and spends all his time playing Fortnite, so if he thinks it’s “meh”, then this might be quite promising, from my point of view.

Any thoughts about an acquisition that could be deemed to be meh, but better with a specific IP added into the mix?

2 Likes

For me it sounds like IOI or Crytek or even Kojima Productions

Crytek popped into my head too, with Cryengine sweetening the deal. Not sure though.

3 Likes

Maybe MS could buy konamy’s IP

1 Like

Konami is closing its gaming division, likely means that they will be selling their IP.

1 Like

Valve acquisition needs a sufficient gap before and after. So that the regulators don’t get too alarmed.

After watching this I hope the polish studio rumour referred to The Astronauts.

4 Likes

An acquisition for MS ?

To me it sounds like Gearbox with the Borderlands IP or Platinum with the Bayonetta IP.

I don’t see people going “meh” to IOInteractive since they constantly release high quality content.

Crytek doesn’t make sense because you know they would come with CryEngine, The Hunt, and Ryse IP. Just not sure if they’d come with Crysis (EA?).

That’s how I read it

1 Like

It was on the XboxEra podcast ?

1 Like

Yep.

1 Like

Thanks !

1 Like