Xbox Acquisition |OT| - So We’re Back to Making Lists, Huh?

To me, Halo Infinite looked as bad as Spiderman: Miles Morales. The humans are just not realistic enough, but I enjoyed what I saw. Art style != Graphical Capabilities

Square Enix being Square Enix. New The World Ends With You skipping Xbox again :frowning:

2 Likes

Of course. They don’t release the games on Xbox because “they won’t sell on the platform”. Well, no shit they don’t sell when you release them a year later when everyone has already bought them on PS and Switch.

5 Likes

I expect this shit to continue.

I thought Halo Infinite looked just as good as the new Call Of Duty game running on the next gen systems. It was a shame there was no Raytraying used in the demo and that’s to me, why so many felt they could knock 7 bells of crap out of it. I feel sorry for the team TBH, it wasn’t as bad as was made out and much like with any Sonic Team 3D game people hate on it, just because of who’s making it, rather than what it actually looks or plays like.

I really think MS should bring out an 8 min demo on the Series X/S and show off the gameplay because it looks a winner in the gameplay dept.

Square Enix barely gives a shit about Xbox, sadly. That needs to change. Final Fantasy VII Remake, Final Fantasy XVI, Project Athia, Spider-Man in Avengers, all exclusive to PlayStation. Dragon Quest and Kingdom Hearts continuously skipped Xbox only till recently. It’s why I never got into any of Square Enix’s games, because I can’t even play so many of them.

I don’t know if it’s the Japanese publishers fault to focus on putting games where they think their audience is. It’s up to Xbox to make the case for bringing them to Xbox. E.g. Dragon Quest, PSO2, Yakuza etc. If the sales are good they will keep bringing their games otherwise they won’t. Let’s not pretend like a “The world ends with you” game will sell big numbers on Xbox.

I was making a general statement not just this singular game, let’s be real here Sony is being outsold like 8:1 in Japan by the switch, most of PS sales come from US and Europe, so that argument that Xbox gamers won’t play Japanese games doesn’t really make sense when most of PS player base is from the same regions, they just have more players.

1 Like

While the PS4 is currently being outsold massively in Japan by Switch, there are just under 10 million PS4s that have been sold in Japan compared to about 100,000 Xbox.

The bulk of the Xbox and PS user base are in the same regions yes but the prevailing wisdom is that if you want access to most Japanese third party games you get a PlayStation. Because the publishers get the western audience plus that 10 million Japanese user base.

It’s up to Xbox management to convince them to put titles on Xbox. For big titles it will probably be worth it, but for niche titles it won’t be.

2 Likes

until xcloud make splash in japan or xbox gain share in japan this won’t change also did you see that leak the ace attorney collection it sold only 4000 copies on xbox one …

MS needs to fund Japanese content for GP

1 Like

That’s already a given. Third parties will code for parity, and MS internal teams aren’t even close to ready - no gameplay has been shown of ANY of their titles with the exception of Psychonauts 2

At least it’s coming to the Switch. Disappointing, but expected

I guess halo infinite doesn’t count

If you want more small and mid-tier Japanese games on Xbox you have to buy the ones that do come to Xbox. It’s a two-way street. Xbox One made up less than 1% of the sales of Ace Attorney Trilogy, for example, so the next Ace Attorney release will not be on Xbox. Y’all didn’t put your money where your mouths were. Better see some strong Game Pass numbers on Xbox for DQ11S to show that Xbox is a viable platform for the franchise.

I wonder how much it would set Microsoft back to cut up the Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo PS5 exclusivity contracts for a quick infusion of exclusive content to buy more time for 343i.

1 Like

We just have to wait and see what they have for 2021.

1 Like

I’m not going to buy a game I’m not interested in in the hopes it convinces Japanese Publishers to release more games on my platform of choice. If they don’t want to invest in attracting my business, that’s their problem, not mine. The “it’s our fault” narrative is bullshit imo.

7 Likes

No no no, that’s not what I’m saying, about buying games you don’t want in order to “show support.” The point is that the reason for Xbox exclusion from certain Japanese games is not xenophobia, as one poster here is insinuating, but low sales expectations as backed by my AAT example. It’s all about money. Phil Spencer can make yearly trips to Japan to ensure that the Big Japanese Games like Tales of Arise or Yakuza: Like a Dragon offer Xbox versions, but he can’t ensure that smaller titles include Xbox. The sales have to be there.

(I don’t think Capcom did as much as it could have to make Ace Attorney thrive on Xbox. Should have launched into Game Pass.)

So many games have gained more popularity after becoming multiplat…Yakuza, persona etc. have seen big success on pc and Xbox, but low sales are still being cited as a problem on these platforms still. Like what is holding back a P5 royale port? It’s time even smaller titles gave pc and Xbox a shot with easier development facilitated by gdk on both.

2 Likes

I agree! Games should be on as many platforms as possible (First-party exclusives are excused… except Spider-Man. Pretty peeved at Marvel Games deciding that they should license the IP exclusively to Sony). More publishers should give Xbox a chance, especially with Game Pass launches or releases of older games on Game Pass first like Yakuza to build up interest.

My counterpoint is that you have 60million+ potential customers and instead of trying to attract those customers, most Japanese publishers seem disinterested in spending the money to do so. You can’t say “the sales aren’t there” if you don’t actually try to sell your games.

There are a lot of variables that go into all of this and I suspect we’re actually agreeing on the same points. :smile:

3 Likes