Xbox Acquisition |OT| - So We’re Back to Making Lists, Huh?

ACG/Matty also mentioned that Focus Home Interactive was a possibility a year ago before Microsoft acquired Bethesda.

I believe that Microsoft acquires Paradox Interactive this year. I put Sega at 50/50 and wouldn’t be surprised if they acquired a single development studio like Techland.

Have to wait and see what happens but im ready!!!

2 Likes

Whatever happens, I’m sure it’ll be a great addition.:slight_smile:

1 Like

What are your plans going forward for DC?

… My mantra coming in was to make it bigger and broader and we really want to surprise and delight the fans with more connective tissue across the various media and platforms. I’m talking movies, HBO Max, television and our games division.

…Last August, I was made head of studios and networks and I now have all of the creative groups underneath me, so now around that table it’s not just Warner Bros. film, Warner Bros. television, and Warner Bros. games, but it includes HBO and HBO Max and the Turner networks, Adult Swim, and the Kids and Family networks…

I think WB Games is really off the table for now

2 Likes

Probably AT&T and WB will tightly couple their divisions. Similar to what Sony is trying to do. It seems like it is a common trend across all the companies. Probably Amazon will go similar route but with big budget and possibility to make their own games. Even Disney with their Lucasfilm games moved to that, except they will probably loan IPs for that.

It doesn’t add up as simile because Disney bought Marvel and Lucasfilm…and later 20th Century fox in massively multi billion dollar deals, viciously removing content on other platforms and also under priced Netflix significantly.

Playstation couldn’t stop Sea of Thieves…and now they’re supposed to underprice gamepass as well?

1 Like

83 posts were split to a new topic: Microsoft in talks with Discord over $10 billion+ acquisition

I don’t see Sony being number one in the Netflix of gaming arena. I think they will have a strong competitive service that probably has subscribers in the tens of millions, but Game Pass will dwarf it because MS can afford to get it going and keep it going in a big way.

I think Sony would get a lot of subs to start, especially if they time it right with a tentpole release plus a bug third-party exclusive to kick things off, with another tentpole release every 4-6 months. Then they would fill in the gaps with a few third-party deals for timed or outright exclusives, while having parity on a lot of other third-party content. I disagree they don’t have the funds to build something relatively competitive.

I imagine this happening towards the end of the current gen, like last 2-3 years. In the meantime they find a partner to work on tech and services (Azure?) and bulk up first-party studios so they can achieve a good enough level of output to retain subscribers.

Enough about Sony in this thread. My main point is PS Now, or whatever it will likely be rebranded, will have instant success overnight and be a competitor, even if smaller, to Game Pass.

Sega is literally the chest of IPs. Legendary IPs. IPs are very important for the streaming services. Disney is a prime example.

Sony is just not as profitable as Microsoft and it can’t work in debt like Netflix because it has the hardware division. Do not underestimate the expenses in streaming. They are not small, it is a sizeable investment.

1 Like

Well, this gen is going to be great. What makes me go crazy are not the acquisitions, but the studios already acquired now have a TON of real juicy money to do whatever they need to. Table is going to be insane, avowed too, and boy I think we’re not ready for Halo Infinite…

Imagine the possibilities, we’re entering some next level stuff now.

1 Like

Cdpr will not cost as much as bethesda. For the talent they have, yes you do pay for that. Talent delivers content what xbox needs.

The problem with talent is they can leave. Look what happen with Bungie and MS. With that situation at least MS got the Halo IP. That’s why MS thinks IP is just as important as talent.

Their talent that just took eight years to release a half finished buggy disaster? Their talent that has released four games and only one of those is objectively good? Their talent that operates a exceedingly toxic work environment? The talent that is already leaving?

Cyberpunk 2077 Design Lead Andrzej Zawadzki exits CDPR after nearly 8 years | Shacknews

MS isnt buying them. They have nothing to offer.

7 Likes

Microsoft could just set up a studio across the road with a big sign outside the studio saying

WE’LL GIVE YOU 10% MORE PAY + EXTRAS + FREEDOM TO WORK NORMAL HOURS

1 Like

Even if they set up just the sign, I’ll be laughing so hard. :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

For the nth time, CDPR is not on Microsoft’s target list. No IP, an entire distribution platform that not only flies against everything MS has been building and which grossly increases the cost, terrible culture in management and PR, and a snail’s pace development turnaround are just a few reasons Microsoft will stay miles away from acquiring the studio. And yes, you may want to check your information, because CDPR is valued at more than the entire Bethesda acquisition, thus further making it a fruitless purchase.

4 Likes

I just want them to buy the gaming arm of Konami, and pump all the money into Pro Evolution Soccer. That’s it, that’s the only acquisition I want.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Microsoft in talks with Discord over $10 billion+ acquisition

I mean, yes they will. They are a publicly traded company with a market cap of 5.5 billion USD, even after all the terrible PR and disastrous launch of Cyberpunk.

You would need to pay almost Bethesda levels at their current valuation to get shareholders to consider it worth their time. Maybe a bit less but not dramatically so.

Microsoft have a good relationship with EA and making a direct rival game to EAs biggest game in FIFA would be questionable.

Understood, counter point, PES has hit gamepass nearly day one for two straight years too, whereas Fifa is the one “2021” EA sports title that is not yet on gamepass, even though Madden etc are