Xbox Acquisition |OT| - So We’re Back to Making Lists, Huh?

No way it’s first person. Nobody likes first person :slight_smile: dont you know xbox has to many first person games

A good game is a good game to me. I understand wanting different camera focuses but if I am young to enjoy the game, I don’t care lol

Talk of launching on a billion devices and hitting Netflix subscriber numbers are dubious, with shades of the old “just 1% of China!” meme. Yes, 1 billion devices are theoretically available to tap with XGPU cloud streaming, that’s true, but the practical addressable audience for GP in 2020 / 2021 is much, much, much more limited.

A huge percentage of gamers never play anything resembling a core game. They dip their toes into mobile gaming, but they are not “lifestyle gamers” who play so many games in so many genres that GP seems appealing to them. An additional large percentage of gamers might play Minecraft or League of Legends, but that’s their one game, and they don’t branch out much.

Netflix can reach 200 million subscribers because watching video content is extremely mainstream and penetrates into every demographic. My 75 year old aunts asked me to hook them up to Netflix. They are not and will never under any circumstances subscribe to Xbox Game Pass - no matter how many AAA games get released per month.

The realistic total market size for these services is basically the current total console & PC market + 20% or 30% on top who might be convinced to get back in (lapsed gamers) or might be convinced to give it a try. Now that is still a huge number! It’s “possible” that in some distant future you might reach 100 million subscribers or more. But even getting to that number would require keeping costs low, diversifying offerings (lots of games for gamers who might only enjoy “casual” experiences too), and spending years increasing subscriber bases.

I would consider it a big win if they hit 50 million subscribers within the next 4-5 years. It could very easily be a much lower figure than that.

2 Likes

They’ll be at 50 million by the end of 2021 absolutely 1000% guaranteed

Wow that Stalker 2 engine teaser is kinda getting a lot of hype lol the video already has like 35k likes and there is a few reaction videos on it weirdly enough. I didn’t really think much of the game but is it like popular or something, never played the first one.

1 Like

I think the game is very popular with the CIS crowd, I was checking the views of Xbox’s last event and it was the 2nd most viewed trailer after Halo infinite I think, more than fable, forza and Avowed. GSC game world, the devs behind the game are also privately owned.

1 Like

Oo I can 100% see MS picking them up, haven’t they been struggling for money and MS funded this game for them. These are the companies I like MS picking up because I really do hate seeing studios struggling to survive. Tim Schafer was saying something like how it’s so good not having to think about where next he’s going to get money from to keep the company afloat and I think if GSC is in that situation then they might be a good fit.

Another epic thing with being a “Xbox” studio is you also make it for PC, some dev teams and games are more PC focused so it probably helps with convincing them over saying they can still focus on PC they don’t need to just make console game could win them over.

I 100% think with Xbox games on PC helped a lot with the Bethesda deal, Fallout’s home is really on PC.

2 Likes

I prefer third person over first person for various reasons but I will at the very least check out Stalker 2 as it does look good but only because it’s in Game Pass and even then, all depends on what kind of game it is.

Yeah, Xbox is also looking to make small dev hubs where they have a few studios from the same area. It helps with collaboration and also talent retention, if a Rare dev is looking for a new project, they can join Ninja theory or Playground if they find it interesting.

That’s why Asobo would make a lot of sense together with Arkane Lyon.

Ya’ll need to stop bringing up first person vs third person everywhere lol. I know its basically an xboxera meme at this point but it has the potential to drag things the wrong direction haha.

5 Likes

Oh trust me, I haven’t. Relic and CA are always my go to for the PC argument and RGG is arguably one of the best Japanese studios out there.

4 Likes

Dontnod too

1 Like

Cant forget ATLUS, arguably a crown jewel developer on their own.

2 Likes

Forsure Vampyr to me is just an underrated game

Vampyr still got some spotlight. Their true underrated game is this gem:

I never played it

It was their first game, I believe.

Unfortunately it is not backwards compatible, so it will only get more forgotten as the time goes by :frowning:

That sucks

There’s a reason I usually just throw in the Sega umbrella :wink:

3 Likes

Not only does Creative Assembly make great strategy games on PC, they also have an AAA console team (the one that made the great Alien: Isolation). They’re currently working on a new IP, that’s supposed to be a tactical FPS for next-gen (well I guess current-gen now) consoles. They’re a really great and talented studio.

2 Likes