With all the IP's and franchises Microsoft owns I hope they NEVER do any licensed deals

Damn a new transformers game with more open levels for high speed vehicle action would be my dream.

2 Likes

I was out here being like Playground x Transformers as a dream project, but mfs got High Moon now, so yeah, back to expecting a new kickass Transformers from the OGs themselves.

3 Likes

Look Transformers may not be Spider-Man levels of popularity, but it’s still huge with kids, has a new movie coming out next year, and is probably more mainstream marketable than Indiana Jones

1 Like

That’s semantics. I believe hitching your wagon to another company’s properties is shortsighted. Agree to disagree.

Disagree.

A strong licensed IP, properly negotiated can do wonders as a means of getting people into the ecosystem.

Miles Morales has been the best selling PS5 game since 2020.

Granted it’s Spider-Man, but do you Miles MOrales would be nearly as popular if wasn’t Spider-Man?

Quality Game+ Licensed IP = Bigger fanbase.

3 Likes

Spider-Man is a weird example. Sony don’t own the property, but they have the leverage to act like they do.

It’s not semantics. A fan of Star Wars might have dreamed their entire life to make a game in that universe.

It is. I can shitpost on this forum all day or I can go enjoy my weekend. Which is the best use of my freedom?

I think they own the film rights which they use to their advantage, so they own Spider-Man by Squatter’s Rights?

1 Like

Does everyone enjoy their freedom the same way? Lol

3 Likes

I just hope MS lets their devs make the games they want to make. If it’s a licensed IP and they can work out a deal then I’m all for it.

This sounds a bit weird and would never happen but I’d love Double Fine to do a Gravity Falls game. The humor and vibe is already a lot like Psychonauts. Frankly, I wouldn’t be surprised if Psychonauts 1 didn’t inspire the show runners to some extent.

1 Like

Microsoft got enough studios where they can make new IPs and work on licensed IPs. Also a good licensed IP will always do crazy numbers and it will catch more people’s attention than a regular game. For example more people will be more excited for Radical to make a Hulk game over Prototype 3. Anyways, I think Microsoft needs a mixture of both and I don’t think licensed games can neuter creative freedom. For example Jedi Fallen Order was something we haven’t seen in the star wars universe, and in the past KOTOR was something we’ve never seen. I felt both of those games were creative and provided a fresh experience

1 Like

The best way for Microsoft to approach this is to contract out third party developers to make licensed exclusive games, in a second party structure. Several benefits I see to it is it removes additional studios off the playing field from making games for other platforms, makes exclusive titles for Xbox, and leaves first party to work on owned IP. So not only does it build up Xbox it also tears down others.

7 Likes

Still upset War never came to Xbox One, but Fall got a port. Might have to pull out the 360 to finish that one up!

I agree, but licensed games sucked for a long time and I can’t help but think it was at least partly because they were being farmed out to studios who were just doing them to make a buck.

1 Like

That’s what sony did with insomniac and spiderman in the beginning and it worked

3 Likes

I really hope we begin to see a licensed IP or two. We’re in a time when licensed games are usually pretty high quality. I think a Mandolorian game would be pre I think damn good. However I think the best idea would be Microsoft approaching a studio with an IP and ask them about it

2 Likes

I want High Moon Studios to make a Mech Assault game.

1 Like

IMO this is a shortsighted view, there should always be balance, MS already deals with licenses, like FH series or Gears 5 or SoT, etc…the fact they are wary of licensed properties is a myth born to justify the lack of a Spiderman counterpunch.

5 Likes

Is it a myth though?

It’s something we’ve seen Jez repeat multiple times when he talks about MechAssault (I think).

I think it’s obvious MS would prefer to work on something they own, but I definitely don’t think they’d give up on making a Star Wars or Marvel game if given the chance.