Witcher 3 getting Xbox Series X update, Ray Tracing

Like many others, I have this on my X One X backlog. I loaded it up and played with the intro and performance vs visual settings. It’s a demo game (for now) of why 30 fps can really mess with my eyes in visual mode. That goes away in performance mode. More than resolution, I’m hoping for improvements in frame rate and pacing, draw distance, motion smoothing/motion blur improvement, general graphical and lighting effects, maybe more NPCs around or animation adjustments and other immersion tweaks. This type of BC capability and developer support for patches are what I’m most excited about for the Series X out of the gate. I have SOOOOO much in my back log brand new games aren’t my concern. Add to that my surface level understanding that game projects take years to develop and next-gen console specs aren’t locked in and provided to developers until roughly a year or less before launch and I understand the leap in games likely won’t be in the first year. I’m completely okay with BC updates and title patches like this!

TLDR; YAY CDPR and WITCHER 3 updates for XSX!

2 Likes

You are in for a treat my friend! My wife bought it for me at launch, as it came out right around my birthday, and I started it but felt like it was too daunting after playing Witcher 2. Came back to it in 2018 after I got the One X and I couldn’t put it down. This game ruined so many open-world games for me, in the best possible way, as the mission and narrative structure is unparalleled still (at least I would argue). Side missions have emotional gravitas, the world-building is incredible, your choices feel like they genuinely matter, and if you’re a fan of the mythos, it’s such an earned, loving sendoff.

My only advice would be these tips: take your time and enjoy the experience by soaking in the dialog and the world CDPR built, and don’t feel overwhelmed by the sub-systems. Play on Easy if you have to, so you don’t necessarily have to study the mastercraft armor builds or alchemy, etc.

I can’t wait to hear what you think after you pick up the Series X. I know I’ll be playing it again :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for that! The only only games I don’t play on a difficulty that make my kid and his friends laugh at me are generally RPGs! :laughing: But remembering how I got spanked in the PC version of the Witcher 2 before my save corrupted I was expecting to start out on the mode that gave me a free diaper, bottle, and milk & cookie time outs! :relaxed:

Once school starts in earnest soon and my kid is doing more schoolwork that gameworks, I think I’ll jump back in to the 360 version of the Witcher 2 in preparation. This Witcher 3 news is what I’ve been crossing my fingers for and just bumped itself to the first XSX game I want to actually play rather than load up to giggle at all the QOL improvements.

2 Likes

Fast load times are nice. Those load times when you died were terrible.

1 Like

What??? Awesome news worth a playthrough then. I think I will wait then I was replaying it too with other games but now will put it aside waiting for the free patch.

Props to them. Great studio!

2 Likes

Brace yourself it is a huge game. And a superb one. Yes like @Knottian said you are in for a treat! Take your time play it as you want, incredible adventure awaits you…

1 Like

This is the game that keeps giving, completely wild unprecedented support for a single player game.

4 Likes

Well, one more reason why CD Projekt Red is the best damn developer in this industry. And to think that they’ve only released three main games with Cyberpunk 2077 being their fourth in their short development history.

Massive props to CDPR as they released a game over five years ago with The Witcher III that not only has stood the test of time by remaining my PlayStation 4/Xbox One game of the generation but it’s still the RPG in which all other RPG’s will be judged against.

Super hyped for Cyberpunk 2077 even though I will be waiting for their next gen upgrade in 2021 before playing it.

2 Likes

I hope they will take the time to fix the lighting bug on Xbox One X. It was really distracting in my last playthrough.

Can’t wait to get back for the third time !

I love that they could have easily sold us a remaster, but didn’t.

I’ve just started with Blood and Wine, base game and everything in it I have finished last year along with Hearts of Stone.

This is awesome news, and I might just go for a second playthrough just because of this.

Awesome news, I’ll have to buy it on sale for 12 dollars so I can upgrade it :grin:

Any info on release timeline here?

Great news.

Maybe just a bit after next gen consoles release probably december I would say…

CD Projekt always giving me a reason to keep coming back to The Witcher 3.

In the mean time Control…

1 Like

Take notes, 505.

2 Likes

CDPR continues to be the best. I never got around to playing the DLC so I’ll have a reason to jump in on Series X. Excited to play it again. The main game was such a phenomenal game. Easily one of the best games this generation. Cyberpunk 2077 will keep me busy til then. :wink:

If you loved the main game wait till you play the DLCs. Way better than the base game. One of my favourite games of this gen. Played it numerous times and will make another run on XSX with the patch.

1 Like

brill news loved this game so to see it in even more glory on the series x is going to be amazing

They deserve every bit of credit for this!

1 Like