Windows Central Rumour Roundup - Kojima, 4 Global Publishing Projects, Nintendo Collaboration

Even moreso when you speak from a position of semi-authority. I mean he’s the head of GameIndustry.Biz, his word is gonna hold a lot of weight. So if you’re just shouting off what’s at the top of your head, without thinking, without using your connections, people are 100% gonna take it at face value.

Sure he’s walked it back, but it’s too late now. That clip is already being used as console war fodder, he’s being hit with shit on both sides etc etc.

2 Likes

I was hoping for 2022 for Avowed. But that is solely based on what Sponger said. But if that game doesn’t get a proper reveal this year, then yeah, 2023.

Fact is, as promising as XGS is, it’s gonna take a good while before we see the real results. Had covid not been a thing it undoubtedly would have been sooner. But hopefully that’s where the XGP published games come in.

I know we’re all in on this E3 or bust thing, and I hope they never do this, but they could always hold something back for X0/Quakecon/Gamescom

1 Like

Maybe it is a hot take for me, but I think MS will sign as many big 3rd party games Day One on Game Pass as possible to fill the gap when it is needed. To me, it is even better than timed exclusive.

2 Likes

I think they will. They’ve done that the last several years in a row right? They clearly think there is value in having something impactful to announce at each of the big events throughout the year.

I wouldn’t totally discount Avowed for 2022 me personally. We know the game has been in active development for a good number of years now and is not in a similar situation like Fable or Perfect Dark whereby the team is being built up with the game.

1 Like

:exploding_head: That would be crazy.

1 Like

I want receipts on that one. In early February 2017 playground announced plans to open a new studio.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gamesindustry.biz/amp/2017-02-07-playground-games-opening-second-studio-working-on-open-world-game

In this same article they say there forza studio only has room for 145 people. Today they are 300 plus. Which means their fable studio may now have more people then their horizon team.

2 Likes

Yes klobrille said on Twitter the other day that the only anounced Microsoft games with an internal target launch date beyond 2023 are elder scrolls 6 and maybe state of decay 3. I think he maybe forgot about Indiana Jones but IDK.

So I’m sticking with that.I think everwild and Hellblade are 2022. Avowed could be 2022 or 2023. I do think fable and perfect dark are being targeted for 2023.

2 Likes

Plus there was already rumors in 1/2018 about Playground Games doing a Fable game.

New Fable Reportedly in Development at Playground Games - IGN

1 Like

So ya it’s safe to assume that they have been working on fable since at least the beginning of 2018. Meaning they have just over 3 years dev time on the game so far, though some of that is likely pre-production.

1 Like

I personally feel pre-production started in late 2017.

1 Like

If they were announcing intent to start a second studio in early 2017, then yeah, I agree that they probably did some concept work that year. Might not have been a lot, but just getting ideas for mechanics or something down would still be steps toward the game, and I could see them having a few people doing stuff on it. You wouldn’t need that many people bouncing ideas around early on to get some key concepts and storyline info down, then when Xbox agrees to it, add more people to flesh it out and start filling other roles.

1 Like

Lol @ this guy saying games like fable, pd + everwild will take a further 7yrs, such a rediculous statement. PD is probably a long way off as it just started, im guessing 2023/24, everwild who knows, fable im surprised that will be really long, there has veen fable rumblings since 2017. Luckily Bethesda and XGS’s other teams will fill 2021/2022.

No one is saying 7+ years. Dring admitted he was exaggerating. I agree with him how a lot of XGS games are further out then we think though

If that was the case we would have seen gameplay now, and had a full blowout. The only thing we saw was essentially a proof of concept designed to get people to want to come and work on the game

Avowed started development around 2017 and everwild maybe as early as 2016 going off job listings. Playground started hiring staff in mid 2017 for their rpg. The fable rumors started by the end of the year. So pre-production had surely began. By mid 2018 they had almost 50 people. These games have had around 4, 5 and 3 years of development. Everwild in 2022 would be around 6 years of development, avowed around 5, and fable early 2023 around 5.

Developers and studios play around with ideas for a while before they even enter full pre production never mind full. The majority of Rare, Obsidian, and PG were focused on SOT, TOW, and FH 3 and 4 in those years. Full development or even pre production wasn’t active.

Avowed March-November 2023

Everwild November 2022-March 2023

Fable. November 2024

Have been thinking about this Xbox/Nintendo rumour and whilst it would be awesome to have GP on Switch I don’t think the number of changes/concessions needed would make it viable. Don’t think Xbox and GP are at the level yet to pull something like this off.

Have seen a couple of comments suggesting a curated library for Gamepass on Switch and again, I don’t see this happening and don’t think it would be a good idea to fracture the service in such a way.

The eventual appeal of the service is that you have a single, cohesive library, regardless of how you access the service.