Will we ever get a game that captures the Sci-Fi magic of Mass Effect?

Answering the question from the OP:

Yes there will be a game that does this: Mass Effect Remastered

:wink::sunglasses::crazy_face::nerd_face:

1 Like

The outer worlds seemed something more like firefly to me. It really does not fill the ME void, but itā€™s not really trying to.

I think that short of having a new ip or something like star trek making big into consoles the one that comes close is Halo. Wish they would own that up and make a more rpg like spin of.

Telltale did it with The Walking Dead. But you are right, nobody tried it on the same scope as Mass Effect, which is a real shame.

I really miss the old Bioware.

1 Like

I can see why you feel that way. I just meant in terms of design choices like the smaller hub level design, companions, and a few pieces of music. Though maybe itā€™s more accurate to say itā€™s closer to Knights of the Old Republic.

I do hope future games in the series lean closer to the Mass Effect/KotOR influence.

Unless inXileā€™s next big RPG is this type of game then we may not see this type of game for quite a while because there doesnā€™t seem to be a development team right now with both the desire to make this game and the budget to do it justice.

Is there any word on what InXileā€™s big game will be? Itā€™s crazy to me that there are barely any Sci-Fi/Space RPGs.

Iā€™m not too excited for Star Field given Bethesda lately or even TES6 but that can always change once we see more of the games. Then again I was excited for Fallout 4 and that game was a hot mess

Would we consider Cyberpunk sci-fi? Maybe the Outer Worlds sequel, Outer Worlds reminded me a lot of Mass Effect 2.

Outer Worlds is nothing like Mass Effect tbh.

Its science fiction, it had companions with detailed backgrounds and personality, Phineas reminded me of Mordin Solus. It had more in common with ME2 then youā€™d think

Of course its on a much smaller scale but the comparisons and similarities are there and there are a quite a few of them

Starfield supposedly has inspiration drawn from Deep Space Nine so thereā€˜s hope. I do think Bethesda can come back strongly next gen, Fallout 76 was a mess, but the core strengths or the team (environmental storytelling, atmosphere, sense of discovery) were still there.

And if not, youā€˜ll just have to wait for our Dreams Enterprise project :stuck_out_tongue: https://youtu.be/NNvlerWHYm4 I know, not the same thing, butā€¦

Bethesda games canā€™t be compare to BioWare games at all. I would put my hope on studios which have similar game ideas to BioWare like Obsidian, inXile and Larian.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been saying this for a while, let InXile make a full on Hard Sci-fi Space Opera RPG in the vein of the SyFy/Amazon series ā€œThe Expanseā€, thatā€™d be crazy.

1 Like

Dont think any of the 3 you just mentioned compare to Bioware either.

Well, Larian is making Baldurā€™s Gate 3, the first part was made by Bioware. Bioware made KOTOR, Obsidian followed them with KOTOR2.

2 Likes

You can add Neverwinter nights 1 and 2 as well. Also, expect Larian, they all are related to each other. Interplay with Black Isle and the releases of Icewind Dale and as u mentioned Baldurs Gate. They all have their roots in D&D mechanics.

I really hope so.

I am having a lot of fun with Wasteland. Divinity 2 is one of my favorite games of all time. So thatā€™s the Fallout and Dragon Age itch getting scratched.

Still nothing like a space opera in the horizon :frowning:

There is Technomancer by Spiders (Greedfall). Mixed bag but some people compared it to Mass effect. Low budget and janky. Never played it myself but Spiders has a good reputation because of Greedfall.

fun fact: Both Obsidian and InXile were actually in the race alongside Larian for getting the deal on who makes Baldurā€™s Gate 3, eventually Larian won out. I think it was the D:OS success that brought them that huge acclaim. Theyā€™re independent now, guess what would be a good option for Xbox if Baldur Gate 3 succeeds? :wink:

Obsidian, InXile, Larian. RPG Powerhouse.

1 Like

This is kind of what Iā€™m hoping they are doing as well, but then another part of me wants them to take Wasteland to full on AAA Action RPG space.