Will there be a Xbox Series X2 + PS5 Pro in 3 years?

Either no or PS5 only. Series X is so strong there is nothing much better possible within 3 years

Yes because both aren’t very good at reaching the full potential of ray tracing. Sony especially will want to close the power gap.

If the 1S taught me anything, it’s that I will be buying the Series X this time no matter what the SS costs. Performance definitely matters. Playing Jedi Fallen Order was a chore on the 1S, for example. Quit after less than five hours to wait for next gen. Same goes for Ori 2, and RDR2 as well … I cannot even imagine trying to play something like CyberPunk on it without chuckling

Dunno about Ps5 but on Ms side given that there’s a decent performing cpu and ssd they might do upgrades but more smoothly taking advantage of each new tmsc nodes and then move to a full phone lifecycle (not yearly, but the rollout of new consoles and phasing out the old ones)

Indeed, the 1s an og x1 was not the best hardware because of its ddr3+esram ram system and weaker GPU. I don’t think XSS will be a x1s situation or even a PS4 situation. The PS5 being a 10tflop machine is kinda a blessing for Lockhart, because even of 3rd parties decide to make a multiplat game that is 1440p on PS5, Lockhart will be able to do the same game at 1080p andaybe some lower settings, the Lockhart version may have a few medium settings where the PS5 has mainly high and ultra. Unless devs make a 1080p game on PS5 Lockhart will be great. We also have to remember that if the Lockhart CPU is clocked the same as xsx it will see less bottlenecks then the x1 and ps4 did at the end of this gen.

However I will be getting a XsX because I care about the best IQ and highest settings

I’m not sure. I think the CPUs are good enough to last an entire generation. The GPU and RAM could use an upgrade in order to maintain 4K resolutions, but who knows.

Edit: ok, if these consoles don’t have something like DLSS, I think we will see upgraded versions. I hope they have something like DLSS so they can maintain a 4K res until the coming gen.

I’m not sure either, I doubt 8k picks up in the middle of this gen like it did for 4k last gen and Series X is pretty powerful in most aspects.

The only ground breaking new tech maybe better Ray Tracing but Series X should be good enough even on that to last a bit.

I’m just not sure what game changing thing is going to happen in 3 years to need a mid gen refresh

Yes and no

I think in 5 years you’ll see one company refresh and another not.

The last thing holding these companies to the wars is releasing hardware in sync. Once they decouple it will be like other businesses where comping year on year and driving value become the metrics not this publishers meta vs this other ones

Ive seen some people be like “ms/sony like money so of course they will do mod gens”

This does not make a lot of sense, console hardware never has good profit margins and mid gens dont sell that well.

they are not making mid gen refreshes just for ray tracing, we don’t even know the upper limit of how ray tracing can look on these consoles yet. just because nvidia has 1400 dollar gpu coming out that may make ray tracing trivial, doesn’t mean consoles need to upgrade.

Raytracing is overhyped imo, yes its great technology, but this much fuss was not made when physically based lighting became popular. Better visuals are lots of improvements not just lighting, the standard version of Minecraft with Raytracing does look loads better but it still pales in comparison to non raytraced games like RDR2.

Most people just dont notice this stuff, i didnt even know or notice screen space reflections until digital foundry talked about them.

I hope they have mid gen consoles, I dont want to play on XSX in 2027. Consoles should be like graphics cards.

I think its really dependent on playstation. Don’t think xbox wants to ever lose the power crown again. If they do a ps5 pro then xbox will follow

In 2027 the xsx successor will likely be coming out.

Yes but I want new powerful hardware in 2023 or 2024.

Series X should refresh every 5 years from here on out.

Xsx + ps5 will be in there prime then. Then we will probably be only just starting to see devs get a real handle on the hardware.

Process technology such as 5nm and 3nm are getting very expensive. Despite what many keeps saying, Moore’s law has really slowed down. Whilst the transistor density is still going up (not as fast, ie doubling period has lengthened), the other part of the law has problem… the law says “at same cost”, but cost is going up significantly.

I will be interested in seeing price of 5nm phones and also new Ampere GPU. Also, how are console sales in 2022. One of the most impressive part of PS4 sale was not the volume, I expect Sony to sale 100M+, but that they managed to hold the price well. Do people want to pay significantly more to play on console. Or are players OK with little better graphics, 4K60, but buys for the convenience and that consoles are very good value.

I expect to see move to 5nm because it will bring lower power, smaller console, not necessarily because we'll see 2X perf over Gen9 consoles, and improvement in some specific tech such as ML and raytracing.

1 Like

I’ve already heard that Microsoft is working on the XSX v2, probably upping the SSD to PS5 levels.

I’m skeptical that 8k will be meaningful that soon. Will it exist? Of course. It does now. Will it be mainstream enough to warrant console refresh? I doubt it.

More likely, imho, is that MS updates cloud servers to next-next gen hardware and foregoes future hardware generations entirely from the consumer pov. Guessing they do that in 2025.