Will there be a Xbox Series X2 + PS5 Pro in 3 years?

No. I think you are more likely to just see new systems in five years. Microsoft’s naming scheme basically tells you as much.

1 Like

The need for next gen upgrade could be three things.

120 fps at 4k

And VR

Performance for VR could be the most surprising factor and could lead to mid gen upgrades. VR games are more CPU taxing and GPU is just god level taxing. 8 core CPU are great for AAA games but might fall short for VR games. And yes, i am talking about next gen VR games.

120 fps at 4k could become a thing but is highly unlikely. The upfront cost is big compared to the enhanced experience.

8k- well i don’t think even mid gen upgrades could achieve 8k on AAA titles, so let’s forget 8k.

PS5 may need to get rid of smartshift and implement 72 CU APU in next version.

XSX may get way with same CU counts but enhanced performance due to RDNA3 and 5nm node which can make way for higher clocks and get even more performance from the same APU layout. Although, with virtualization then can implement any number of CU they want.

If there is a mid gen upgrade i wont be getting one 4k/fauxk @ 30/60fps is fine for me.

If the PS5 truly loses in DF type comparison videos and Sony sees that it is somehow affecting their sales or reputation then I can maybe see a PS5 Pro. But I dont think it will matter because Sony does a great job of controlling the message so if they say that resolution doesn’t matter than it doesn’t.

I really do not think we will see any mid-gen refreshes (outside of possible slim models). The machines are both relatively cutting edge (unlike this gen). There is already talk of games (e.g. Dirt 5) having 120 FPS modes for crying out loud!

I don’t think we will see Pro revisions this gen. Consoles were on the weak side this gen, even at launch. On top of that, the transition to 4K displays gave the manufacturers incentive to release higher end SKUs. Neither is really the case next gen. Both systems will be plenty powerful at launch and both already “support” 8K displays.

I only see them releasing Pro consoles if game technology advances to the state that these systems become horribly obsolete. For example the RT performance is so bad and the technology becomes a key pillar in production, that there’s a clear benefit in both the manufacturer and consumer investing in new hardware. More likely I just see developers adopting to the limitations until next-next gen lands.

Pro version of these consoles is overkill.

Last gen we saw the first mid gen refresh on both consoles. The main reason given was the jump to 4k tv screens, and the main increase was in GPU power , a slight up tick in CPU, and a revamp of RAM on the XOX.

Will there be a need to do so this next gen as well? If so, what areas will get a boost? It would appear the PS 5 would go to a butterfly GPU, giving the 72CU GPU. How they would achieve that keeping the 2.23ghz clock speed im not sure. I could also see a big boost to ML if AMD can push that tech on future RDNA cards.

Whats everyone else’s ideas?

1 Like

Honestly… I hope they do… I know many wouldn’t like it, but there’s always a market for the latest tech… I beleive in year 3-5 they should bring out a elite version… Because I know Sony won’t take this power difference lightly… I suck at tech btw so I wouldn’t have a clue bout specs…

If this gen is anything to go by, there will definitely be upgraded consoles in the next 4-5 years.

Who knows…could be for better visual fidelity with more rays available for raytracing, better ML, and possible support for games at 8K. Too much uncertainty tbh. We’ll have to see how this generation goes.

I think they’re already baking it into the business model, in how they’ve specified that Series X is this particular console, but that for this generation the platform as a whole is just called “Xbox.” It feels like they’re attempting to pivot to something resembling an iPad model.

We get new hardware every 3-4 years, and eventually the oldest hardware starts to lose support, but we rarely, if ever, get a true hard reset.

2 Likes

The need for next gen upgrade could be three things.

120 fps at 4k

And VR

Performance for VR could be the most surprising factor and could lead to mid gen upgrades. VR games are more CPU taxing and GPU is just god level taxing. 8 core CPU are great for AAA games but might fall short for VR games. And yes, i am talking about next gen VR games.

120 fps at 4k could become a thing but is highly unlikely. The upfront cost is big compared to the enhanced experience.

8k- well i don’t think even mid gen upgrades could achieve 8k on AAA titles, so let’s forget 8k.

PS5 may need to get rid of smartshift and implement 72 CU APU in next version.

XSX may get way with same CU counts but enhanced performance due to RDNA3 and 5nm node which can make way for higher clocks and get even more performance from the same APU layout. Although, with virtualization then can implement any number of CU they want.

Absolutely.

Because both don’t have enough power for high level ray tracing.

And Sony won’t want to be the weaker console for long. They might even kill the OG PS5 and have the PS5 Pro be the standard with fixed clock speeds.

:slight_smile:

MS better hope not, because if it happens it will be just like this generation. The Series S will be WOEFULLY inadequate by the end of the generation, like the Original Xbox and 1S are now. Can you imagine the difference between a 4TF and 20TF game?

Sure,but then again you’re assuming the buying public are hardcore gamers that want the best visuals out there. Thats not really the case. Affordability and the fact that those same games can be played on those cheaper consoles are what matter to allot of them. And publishers will support those user bases because those consoles have larger numbers than refresh consoles do.

No, Lockhart will be fine, if the mid gens come it will be because of higher res/fps or more Raytracing. Lockhart will be like this gens PS4.

It would be a waste of time. If the sales are there, they will have no issue riding the storm. Plus what would they be building it for? 8K TV’s?

If Sony is losing out on sales, they are more likely to launch a weaker version of the console as opposed to trying to get a stronger console in.

I remember making a similar post about 4K at the beginning of this gen. I was happy with 1080 apparently. Since then we’ve had two 4K sets, though one was an OLED that went early because of burn-in.