Will Sony's exclusive game portfolio lack genre diversity even more compared to Xbox's?

According to Benji-Sales, Days Gone went over 10m a while ago and is top 5 for PS4 exclusives. Spider Man 2018, God of War, Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn and Days Gone.

Ratchet & Clank 2016, Ghost of Tsushima and The Last of Us Part II will eventually join that club if they haven’t already.

Game hit 10 million and no acknowledgement from Sony? Impossible

1 Like

It’s a quiet 10m because the game reviewed lower than expected. If reviews were high, they would have said it. For Sony to announce sales the game has to also review well and make them a profit.

Will?

It already does and has done for almost a decade.

Argue quality and quantity all you want, but anyone arguing variety is just being plain disingenuous imo.

7 Likes

They did try and buy Leyou to be fair, which would have mainly been for Warframe, because Sony does lack any sort of title that ensures a constant stream of revenue. They are heavily reliant on games to sell once and that’s IT, which some people might be happy about, but from a business point of view it is leaving potentially a load of money on the table.

I’m starting to think sony might try and buy bungie tbh, they are the only independent studio with a big multiplayer game, and they are up for spending the cash, leyou technologies ended up going for over a billion, so maybe they will bid on bungie?

I have my doubts since they would not come up with the cash for Leyou and that tied in nicely to where Sony is weakest. Bungie is rumoured to be asking for a lot more, so I just don’t see Sony being willing to suddenly part with a lot more cash for Bungie.

true, I was more thinking if they are the last option left they might feel they cant afford to not get them. I would imagine microsoft wouldn’t let that happen regardless of the price tbh, and with Microsoft owning a minority stake in bungie they would know of all offers made, and would just counter them, imo

Completely agree. Plenty doing it as well. They may throw a bone to another genre every now and then but the vast majority of their focus and budget is in one game type that they market like hell.

2 Likes

I don’t think they will. They didn’t bother on the PS3, they didn’t bother on the PS4. Sony has already stated they’re going to make fewer games this generation and for a company that didn’t announce any AAA games for 3 years and skipped E3 thats not good.

Their relations with Supermassive Games, Quantic Dream and Kojima seem to have evaporated.

I’ll say it plainly. Sony is preparing to lose.

They made a console with just enough spec and just enough games to sell just enough to make money.

1 Like

You don’t need diversity when you are the dominant platform and can rely on third parties to cover the bases. Diversity is only important when third parties are not supporting your platform or you have a subscription service to support.

2 Likes

This stuff starts to add up for Sony, I hear this about everything involved with Sony

1.They don’t NEED variety cause they are Sony and market leader, 2.They don’t need the most powerful console cause they are Sony and market leader, 3.They don’t need gamepass cause they are Sony and market leader, 4.They don’t need to improve MOD support cause they are Sony and market leader, 5.They don’t need to buy anymore studios cause they are Sony and market leader, 6.They don’t need cross play cause they are Sony and market leader,

Seems Sony doesn’t need to do a damn thing cause fans just think Sony will always be the default “Market Leader” and sit on their ass while fans just buy their stuff because of the name “Sony”

This self for filling loop is not sustainable, their was a gaming industry before Sony and their will be one after Sony. The gaming world does not revolve around Sony.

8 Likes

Here is my theory. The majority of gamers are playing multiplayer and service style online games of one form or another. Unlike say ten years ago where these games arrived sporadically with big noise and the community into these sorts of experiences were more or less moving round from one to the next and were very vocal about it - now you have games that last a long time communities that become self isolating around their game of choice and you take a large group of or general game discussions.

So what you are left with if you take the overwatch/destiny/COD/BAttle royals etc crowds out you are left with the impression that all people care about is single player stuff because everyone else is discussing whatever thing they are into wherever it is they are into it. So this distorts the landscape and impression. I don’t know a single gamer in real life who has played TLOU2. I’ve never heard anyone discuss it. Obviously the original was different and whatever people played it as it was new and different. But I suspect much of the online noise and hype is a product of console wars and that those who used to chip in from different perspectives move in different communities generally.

1 Like

The goal of the first party studios should be put out good games and draw people to the ecosystem. Genre diversity is not a requirement for that.

Genre diversity will become a problem if companies like Microsoft continue to acquire and they can no longer rely on third parties, like what is kind of happening with WRPGs.

FPS could become a problem for Sony, but as long as the “best” options remain multiplatform its a non issue. If Halo Infinite turns out to be amazing, it has the potential to make XB the platform of choice for FPS. Doom could also turn the tides, i did not realize how much that game sold.

3 Likes

Yup agreed. I think we’ll see more variety this gen, I just don’t think we’ll see the types of games we typically see from Sony Japan Studios, which is a shame.

1 Like

Genre Diversity will become an Issue for Sony when the “Sad Dad forest simulator” Genre starts to dip due to over saturation and players moving onto something else. To think Sony doesn’t have to do anything because they are now the market leader is pretty short sighted and stupid on Sony’s part and anyone else thinking that.

Nothing lasts forever, like I said their was a gaming industry for decades before Sony entered the market and their will be a gaming industry after they leave.

Look at Sony’s game monotony that even Housemarque Returnal falls into the third person shooter with somber tone.

Interesting. Because when Halo, Gears, Forza and Fable were dominating and Xbox 360 outselling the PS3 by quite a bit all I heard was “Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable samesamesame!!!”

3 Likes

If Diversity wasnt a problem we wouldn’t be hearing about what you just said regarding xbox.

Sony’s lack of diversity will become a problem when/if Microsoft start putting out Sony-quality games in genres where Sony is underrepresented.

There will likely never be a point where a first party is putting out high quality in every genre. I would much rather have best in class in a genre or two than “not as good as the best third party” in 8 genres.

1 Like