Where does Xbox need to improve? | Let's be constructive about it

Except you don’t really only say that, you basically dismiss marketing efforts overall and the whole thing started with that stupid Aloy statue and the dude saying they wish MS did something similar, I then showed them MS doing something similar for a smaller game than Horizon even, and then that shifted to “outside of the US/UK” and then “New Zealand doesn’t count either”

Yes it’s not debatable that Xbox should have a better global push and that includes marketing, but y’all are also mixing what Xbox did generally into that and it leads you to dismiss any other efforts

3 Likes

Yep. I don’t think there’s any person here who doesn’t want Xbox to do more with their non NA marketing efforts.

But that doesn’t mean we simply dismiss everything they have done and continue to do. Forza Horizon had a pretty big international marketing push, for example. Sure they could and should do better, but it’s not marketing alone that gives Sony their global dominance.

I’ll applaude them if and when I can see the results where I live and/or around the world more consistently, it’s not like they are a struggling company, it’s mostly a cultural issue.

Probably. I mean Apple does impressive marketing I think, and they are a tech company. But at the same time Amazon. Google, Microsoft are not that great at that.

Amazon reminds me of Microsoft of old.

Apple is a consumer focused tech company, Microsoft is business focused. The approach is massively different.

But what allowed them to do just fine in Xbox 360 era? People who worked there? That’s the mindblowing thing. They knew how to do it in the past.

2 Likes

it’s crazy that that alloy statue has been posted more outside the actual playstation ot than in it lmao. i can only laugh sometimes at the hijinks on xboxera. :rofl:

No one’s asking you to applaud them just don’t dimiss the whole slate of efforts that have been made. I’m from the Middle East and I realize what you feel, I hesitate to recommend Xbox because of the lack of localization for example, but that doesn’t let me dismiss their other tangible efforts with positive impact on the platform and their games. Even with the lack of deep local support, there are things on a platform level that they do better than PS and Nintendo by a mile.

Who knows, I don’t really remember what it was like back then. I will say marketing in 2005 was probably different than marketing in 2021. Buying TV spots is not the greatest way to advertise anymore. It’s online stuff

I mean would it really be so difficult for Microsoft to use a giant laser to engrave the moon with Todd and/or Phil’s face for the Starfield launch?

Imo it’s too small as a push to be considered as a turning point, I’m old enough and I remember when they actually pushed Xbox around here, that’s why I err on the negative side of this topic.

Funny fact do you know Xbox Series is selling better than the Xbox 360, making the most money in their history as well? With a 1st year that had like 0 exclusives :giphy:

I mean just use a giant laser and carve the Xbox symbol RIGHT in the moon.

It would look like a giant light up Xbox controller gem when the moon is full.

1 Like

Market is bigger, relatively speaking their current market share is smaller. Also we don’t know the specific number for the different countries. 360 was a bigger deal 2 years in seventh gen here, I can say it with the upmost certainty.

Marketing with SpaceX and NASA is a no-brainer for Starfield. It remains to be seen if they really do that.

I mean Xbox social media game is on fleek.

But I saw zero commercials on tv for Psychonauts 2 or anything GamePass related when the onslaught of Sept-Oct-Nov-Dec began and they had that GamePass trailer.

What do you honestly think they have to push? Their big lineup is still not in a hugely marketable state because it’s not ready, and console production is still limited by chip shortages.

Let’s cut a deal, when it’s 2023 and they have all the many different games ready to show and market, and console production gets stable, and they still haven’t addressed these global marketing and presence holes, then go at them with your pitchforks and I’ll join you. In the meantime please just try to not dwell on the negatives like this.

Market is much bigger right now. And making more money…Well the release the games on PC day 1. They get this streaming revenue. Also don’t forget that at that time there were not many GaaS games too.

Enter to win a chance to play Starfield… IN SPACE.

I’m literally talking about sending a contest winner into space to play Starfield with SpaceX.

Considering that we had the stories of people, being literally not aware about Game Pass despite being console players tells all you need to know about the marketing push. Outside USA 100%. Not sure about how widespread Game Pass knowledge in USA.