What's the deal with third party exclusives?

I doubt Sony has long standing ties with those IP’s since they were owned by Bethesda and they were only timed exclusives deals but even if they had ties I am sure MS can solve any limitations if they wanted to since they own them now, see Outer Worlds.

TOW was published by the indie arm of T2, Private Division, which intentionally doesn’t pretend the IP ownership of the games they publish, Obsidian said it from day one (after their past experiences), but T2 itself was very cagey and clearly not thrilled about losing control on TOW, until MS showed TOW 2 trailer, their messaggin was still “we will be part of the future of this IP”. That means MS got lucky with this one, pure and simple, Deathloop and Ghostwire won’t be even on Xbox for who knows how long? Remember FF7 had the one year clause and here we are 2 years after, still waiting or infinite exclusivity windows for even random indies. With all that said, I’d not overestimate MS control/willingness to enforce it and underestimate Sony deals, even when they say it’s timed, I know it won’t be on Xbox for longer than that. Who’s the fool believing Kotor will be on Xbox soon after PS? lol

FF7R extended exclusivity is probably gone through a new deal with SE, I doubt Sony has any talks with Bethesda to extend the exclusivity period of Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo for obvious reasons…it’s a completely different situation.

I guess we’ll learn more about the Xbox version of Deathloop this year so we’ll see. :stuck_out_tongue:

We’ll see indeed, you know that Sony exclusives 99% of the times enforce a no-speak clause until the deal is done, I’d not be surprised if it’s the case here (they couldn’t even show the logos during the Xbox Bethesda march 2021 stream). Maybe they can’t even talk about it until september, imagine releasing it. It’s very annoying, on par with MS softness in response, Xbox customers are the ones who suffer the most.

2 Likes

Basically Sony is a crap company and they are cheap so they just throw their weight around the gaming world bullying their way to #1 while their fans always defend them and do whatever they say. They’d rather throw a few coins at devs and pubs then actively curate something from the ground up with them.

Sony decided to fuck around and find out at the start of this gen trying to tie up every 3rd party exclusive they could and pissed off MS to the point they bought Zenimax.

3 Likes

These deals are crazy expensive, we’ve seen what Epic had to pay for some temporal exclusivity for some games that weren’t even too big, we’re talking about 100M+ , also we heard of the price of some exclusive DLC’s for GTA a long time ago for X360.

Simply not worth for MS, much better to keep investing on first party and on Gamepass deals, we’ve seen some day 1 GP games doing much better than expected on Steam etc, also many developers saying how getting their games on GP helped to boost their sales in the long run, this kind of stuff is gonna lower the costs of these deals.

I understand Sony doing this since they are so ahead of MS on the console war thanks to the X1 disaster, so they don’t have to pay that much, but im still sure these Final Fantasy deals aren’t costing under 100M, i’d even say 200M+ , remember they also pay for the game to not come to PC either.

But honestly i couldn’t care less about temp exclusivity, yes this year you’ll get X game on your console, but next year it’ll be the other console getting the game, meh.

Lastly, since i expect MS to get much closer to Sony this generation thanks to their first party growth and gamepass, i also expect this kind of deals to not happen as frequently, or to be a shorter time, as Sony will have to pay more and more each year.

3 Likes

Exactly. MS hasn’t even stated that Deathloop or Ghostwire are coming to Xbox or Gamepass yet. You would have thought they would have stated it if they were able. These exclusives deals are pretty strict. Sony isn’t going to invest in it if there was any way that Xbox could benefit from having the game a year later.

On top of that, Deathloop is only a console exclusive, yet MS hasn’t put it into PC Gamepass yet either. If there wasnt anything in the contract about gamepass, MS would have been free to, and would have, included it in the PC Gamepass at launch.