What's the deal with third party exclusives?

Deathloop seems like a very cool passion project but I don’t see a series out of it. I want to see Prey and Dishonored continued if anything or something new.

8 Likes

Haven’t played Deathloop, like the style of it and it sounds interesting in concept. I am assuming I would rather have something less loopy going forward though.

I wanna see Arkane try The Crossing again. Very ahead of its time, MS funding them gives them the security to try again and it would fit well into Game Pass.

But I want Dishonored 3 and Prey 2 more. It’s a toughie.

1 Like

Deathloop doesnt seem like it will get a sequel if what I played is anything to go by. Shame cause I ended up liking it a lot more as I went on until the ending.

Happy Joel Mchale GIF by ABC Network

2 Likes

We need an Arkane Tokyo so yall can have three games and Japanese games.

2 Likes

I just hope Kotor remake isn’t gonna fall into the same “timed” exclusivity bullshit the final fantasy games are having, but with Sony publishing the game I feel like this is gonna happen :frowning:

Sony is only publishing the PS version.

I think FF is a special case for stuff like this. They have a strong desire to keep FF associated with their platform.

2 Likes

I do feel like their brand would translate well there. Would like to see that actually. Good call.

I would love to see another Arkane studio.

1 Like

I have no idea what’s in the contract, but wasn’t their some contract released where Sony did demand things similar to that. I can’t remember what the game was, but it does ring a bell. I would also tend to believe that if Sony is paying what I am assuming is 10s of millions for an exclusive game, they would not allow the devs to spend the 12 months of exclusivity making the game bigger or better on the xbox when it releases. Microsoft said that Bethesda games would be better and the definitive version on Xbox. You would think to offset the exclusivity on PS that MS might give some extras to their own ecosystem like some DLC etc that you could only get on Xbox. If they didn’t do that then I would think there would be a possibility of legal restraint.

1 Like

The contract was signed before MS bought them out.

Sure, I guess we’ll see.

If there is some other bullshit related to those games I’d honestly prefer seeing them forgotten and move on, it’s really an annoying situation.

1 Like

Re: Possible Deathlooop and Ghostwire Tokyo contract shenanigans

If there is something about those contracts that prevent those games from launching on Game Pass, I really feel like Xbox has dropped the ball on messaging.

They must know Xbox gamers are anticipating them both to come to GP immediately after the exclusivity period ends, and if that’s not the case they are only setting themselves up for some upset customers by not revealing that right away.

So with that in mind, I think I’d put my money on there not being such limitations in either contract.

3 Likes

This talk sounds like someone hearing about the RE8 contract and Game Pass and trying to make inferences. Not even worth worrying about IMO.

7 Likes

Maybe, but if Sony started before RE8 or MLB doing these kind of contracts, I guess MS will let Deathloop and Ghoswire fade into obscurity and continue with the other known IPs of the studios (Dishonored, Prey, The Evil Within) and/or start new ones (Redfall).

I don’t think that MS will force anything on the studios which of course is the right thing to do. If anything Arkane is a studio that can thrive even more with creative freedom and strong support from Xbox. Right now sky is the limit for Arkane and the rest of the great but underappreciated studios of Bethesda.

1 Like

The RE8 deal makes sense, Sony doesn’t want to contribute to the marketing of a game that people can go sign up and get on a competitors service for “free”. They already getting their year out of Deathlooo/Ghoswire, there isn’t a reason to have that same sort of clause IMO

1 Like

Letting something fade into obscurity is not forcing anyone, if those games have some sort of long standing Sony tie written down on contracts, I think even Arkane and Tango would move on, they know who pays the bills.

We’ll see, we know for a fact that Sony tried to suppress Xbox before they could move on from X1 failed generations, the aggressiveness of grabbing two Bethesda games and trying for a third is, even on itself, unprecedented, so nothing is impossible.

2 Likes