What's more appealing, timed exclusive 3rd party content or day one Game Pass 3rd party content?

Timed exclusive 3rd party content is only appealing when you wanna be console warrior.

7 Likes

Clearly GP day one. It means players of PD5 will get the game as well, unlike what is happening these days .

Game Pass is currently the best platform exclusive. Keep feeding the beast.

2 Likes

Day 1 Game Pass 3rd party content is way better for gamers and the developer/publisher. Doing so means you can still sell the game on the store, and put it on competing platforms. Youā€™re not limiting your audience.

That also means itā€™s cheaper for Microsoft to money hat a game coming to game pass day 1 then outright buying timed exclusivity.

100%

I want to enjoy Day One content. I do not want to withhold said content to others.

This is going to be the biggest differentiator between MS and Sony going forward.

MS will invest in getting third party games on Gamepass day and date while still being available on other platforms.

Sony will invest in getting third party games exclusive to their console.

Gamepass.

Xbox Game Pass! Xbox Game Pass! Xbox Game Pass!

Iā€™ve been a fanboy of XGP since the start, itā€™s the best thing that happened this generation. Rather than securing silly exclusives, (unless smaller games that need the funding or to protect them from being moneyhatted and locked in to a single plastic box by Sony) money should be spent to secure third party games Day 1 on XGP and on first party games/studios. All to benefit Xbox Game Pass.

If consoles were the only point of entry into the Xbox ecosystem I might say exclusivity. However, it makes less sense to me to pay for it to not show up on ONE platform instead of it being free on multiple platforms. Thatā€™s just me though.

gamepass if they wanna sell the service. timed exclusive if they wanna sell consoles.

Xbox is clearly focused on the former, so thatā€™s better for everyone. The latter although decreasingly preferable, can be an option if they want hardware sale seasons from time to time? It doesnā€™t look like Xbox is completely ridding themselves of the latter strategy.

Gamepass, BUT it has to be for AAA games day one. So things like Assasins Creed, FIFA, Battlefield, Cyberpunk these sorts of massive games. Just adding content is superb for existing subs but wonā€™t shift needles. Getting big big content day one will.

The thing with timed exclusivity is you can take a smaller game and invest a bit to make it desirableā€¦whereas a gamepass deal to have an impact really needs to bit hitters day oneā€¦

Thatā€™s in terms of the market. For me personally I just want Xbox to keep the multiplats and not lose out to Sony so I can play them on my Xbox. Iā€™ve no interest in Xbox doing these sorts of deals for myself. Apart from as a way of staying relevant and hence not losing multiplats I want to play. Hope that makes sense. It does to me at leastā€¦

1 Like

Day one gamepass obviously.

Timed exclusive gives me no advantage. The game on gamepass does.

I prefer the platform holder spending their money on things that give me an advantage.

1 Like

I have to say day one Gamepass is infinitely better. It doesnā€™t change my enjoyment of the game if people can purchase it on other platforms, but it does keep me using/subscribing to Gamepass, and in that way in the Xbox ecosystem. Over the last 12 months I have touched my PS4 Pro to play TLOU2 and Horizon Zero Dawn, and that is it. But I have played 25-30 games on my Xbox, and Gamepass is a huge reason. I can try out new games, play first party exclusives, and Iā€™ve found so many cool smaller games. It has made me spend a majority of my time on Xbox.

2 Likes

Gamepass is enough for me. Donā€™t even have to buy a console to play.

Can switch to EA play and uplay whenever i want.

Ubisoft already has a subscription like Game Pass called Uplay+ although its only on PC, Iā€™d love for it to be on consoles even though I already own almost every AC game lol. But they have no reason to put games on GP

Same with EA, their new games are on EA Play Pro which is the premium version of the EA Play thatā€™s on Game Pass which includes new games.

Also rumored that Square Enix is looking into a subscription service.

Big 3rd party AAA games would be hard to get on Game Pass because MS would basically have to make up for lost sales.

Yes but those are the games that shift the needle. And itā€™s cheaper for Xbox to put them on gamepass than to buy some timed exclusivity. Iā€™m not saying itā€™s possible or sensible. All Iā€™m saying is that a gamepass add for me is great. But if you are talking about growing the service subs then the big hitters are the way to do that.

ā€œItā€™s not enough that I should succeed, others should fail.ā€

Only someone unwell would choose depriving others over getting a benefit at somebodyā€™s expense. Timed exclusives are terrible regardless though, and I wish theyā€™d go away altogether. If you have the money for these deals, make your platform more attractive instead of screwing over others.

1 Like

I much prefer day one GP.

Making it timed exclusive to Xbox does nothing for me, itā€™s still the exact same game. The fact that it isnt on another console doesnt increase my enjoyment in any way.

GP saved a good sum of money, so Iā€™d prefer that no question.

The voice of reason.

1 Like