What third-party AAA games do you believe/want to launch on Game Pass Day One?

Indeed, apologies though that conversation was born and referred back to the larger point many have that Europe would buy Sony “Just because” even to the point of refusing free hardware and software out of spite. Also trying to argue against minimising those games as just “sad dad”.

No one game (or genre) can be solely responsible for the PS4’s initial success, but is part of the equation of its greater success and part of why, as we started discussing, it is so popular in those markets outside the US.

Sony made a device which was Cheaper, more powerful and (at reveal) less confusing (did not attempt to change the status quo regarding ownership) than its competitor, it also marketed that device with more apparent understanding and investment of the local markets. They kept that momentum and mindshare going all through the generation by then providing high prod. quality games of a style many others do not make.

i.e. Sony earned their “dominance” in the European markets and its is not because of blind hatred Europeans have of MS and Xbox, but because they did things the market responded well to. We see now how MS is making similar good decisions that will affect that dominance and if it does it will be because Microsoft strategised well. Which I believe they are doing globally, while the supply chain is as it is every week MS show how much better it is in “their Ecosystem” Free upgrades, 3rd party Gamepass! week after week. Now all they miss is that laser focus on understanding and marketing to those individual EU markets and they will start to thrive.

Jeez, sorry I went all marketty there, I’ve been speaking to Marketing and doing training today, you can tell :smiley:

4 Likes

What you have said is on point.

In a world where multiplatform games are generally speaking the biggest sellers (COD, Assassins Creed games etc) potential buyers who may purchase a console to play (mostly) these big multiplats will decide on said console based on its USP.

In the PS4 / Xbox One gen the Xbox didn’t really have a USP as Kinect was largely underutilised, and as you said the PS4 was cheaper and more powerful.

Add to that the strength of first party and the PS4 was an obvious choice as a primary console. Best performing multiplats, exclusives and it was cheaper.

The challenge now is pulling customers away from an ecosystem that they have not only grown accustomed to but has also provided them with great content.

What we are seeing now from MS is the first time in a long time where they are offering very compelling USP’s. Gamepass, Bethesda (along with the other studios) and the very consumer friendly approach to back compat and legacy titles.

As a company, they can afford to make these 3rd party Gamepass deals and it is these, at least in the short term until 1st party starts pumping out content, that will pull people into the ecosystem.

As an aside to this, I think we see TV’s (maybe Samsung, official partner) packaged with a Gamepass app, free sub for a few months and maybe even a controller later this year.

It is very clear that Gamepass is the vehicle that MS intent to ustilise.

3 Likes

Giving a free controller could be a brilliant idea, as it could become a tool to incentivize a person to try the service as you will be providing them all the tools necessary to start gaming. If they can eat up $60 dollars for the controller costs this is a no brainer imo.

1 Like

just make it clear it’s pure speculation on your part and don’t be overdramatic and attention seeking.

Post the real list, put a simple obviously fake and say it’s all just very educated guesses :stuck_out_tongue:

At a high level, I think the fact that people don’t yet realize how gamepass is straight up more profitable for most games than just selling for $60-$70 will begin to be appreciated when there are a lot more Outriders-esque stories this year.

Right now people see these situations as MSFT dropping bags of money in mini-acquisition-like ways, but as gamepass momentum continues to grow, the service’s benefit to devs will be the real allure that takes the program to critical mass.

It’s not AAA, but the next game from Spiders, Steelrising would be a great get for both the service and the developer IMO.

Absolutely. While janky, Greedfall had some real charm and this developer doesn’t really produce massive hits, I’m sure they’d apreciate the financial security.

I am going to add Biomutant to this list if that is OK with you haha

1 Like

Currently the fighting games selection is a couple of failed games. I would like to see the next Street Fighter, Tekken, Mortal Kombat, KOF, [Dream ON] Virtua Fighter, Skullgirls, Them Fighting Herds, and Guilty Gear to be on game pass.

hmmm

i think

• RE 8

• Dying light 2

• Back 4 Blood

• Vampire Masquerade 2

• BF 6

• Elden Ring

• Yakuza: Like a Dragon

• Far Cry 6

half of these games will be on GP Day one expect for yakuza but it’s coming sega would not say no for extra money

Very bold and spicy predictions, I love it :smirk:

ITs not in my head dude. I’ve met these people

When you establish a fanbase and userbase…they ain’t moving. ITs not just marketing. Sony has some of the most loyal fanbases around

I doubt it. Also Yakuza i already out. It wasn’t a GP game. I still bought it day one.

Some games i’m not bothered about being Gamepass. Elden Ring is a day 1 buy no matter where it goes. It can come to Gamepass day 1 or day 0, i’m buying the Collectors or Limited edition of that game.

yeah i forget to edit yakuza haha, well i said half of them maybe Elden ring d1 maybe not so everything can happen.

also this not list i want it’s my thought on what games most likely to hit the service

Super ok with that :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I would love to see those too.

And since we are dreaming on. I’d love to see Virtua On on gamepass too

Battlefield 6

Biomutant

???

This year is looking incredibly light with video game releases, I really don’t know what’s releasing on the horizon. The pandemic has pushed back game announcements and release dates, this console generation has been extremely slow so far.

Yeah Greedfall was a solid, if not spectacular, game. Would rather get via gamepass but will happily buy a Spiders game

K03x18y

I’m gonna say another modest guess. Necromunda Hired Gun is launching in June, maybe it could come to Game Pass day one. I see two reasons for this:

• Focus Home, the publisher, has a good relationship with Xbox and frequently puts their games on Game Pass;
  • The IP owner, Games Workshop, has made a deal with Xbox to launch Warhammer Darktide exclusively on Series consoles (and PC) and Game Pass day one, so I believe they want financial assurance and want to minimize risk while investing on expanding the Warhammer IP.
2 Likes