What kind of controller batteries are best?

This is a good point for me. My TV set-up, and the fact that I have a toddler, would prohibit me from having a cord stretching to the couch.

I already struggle having a wire from my controller to my headset, I donā€™t think I could handle another to my console! :sweat_smile:

Iā€™ve had the my original Xbox Play and Charge kit batteries in my controllers since the Day One Xbox. Iā€™ve since migrated the same batteries to my Elite I Controller and my X1X Scorpio edition controllers, and Iā€™ve changed out the micro USB cable a couple of times, but the batteries have kept a good charge and work fine.

I donā€™t stretch a cord from the console to the couch because my girlfriendā€™s dog is a clumsy derp, but Iā€™ve got a cord from my end table to the couch that I use to charge my phone as needed, so I just plug my controller in there as needed.

Any rechargeable batteries will do. I bought some at Costco a few years ago, and they seem to work pretty well

I have this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TS18AEA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_MganFbPWW8178

And some eneloops.

Works a charm, i wish u could charge rechargeable batteries while in the controller though as well.

I just use the Official play and charge kit. They donā€™t last forever though. Usually will get a solid 2 years out of them from my experienceā€¦ They donā€™t completely for after two years itā€™s just the charge they hold noticeably decreases by then IMO.

Other than that I just buy a sleeve of Amazon basics batteries as they last quite a long time for the price.

One thing that was a godsend for me in terms of battery life was using external headphones that do not plug into the controllerā€¦ That really drains the battery.

Eneloop Pro. Nothing more to say.

I will add my voice to the chorus saying eneloops. I got some eneloops at the tail end of last gen and I am still using them.

Eneloops are the way to go! You can get the set pretty cheap at Costco, they last a good while and you can always just swap between them and put the dead ones in the charging dock. Also you can use them for all sorts of devices obviously.

+1 for Eneloops

Do we have any information on whether currently available charging docks will work with the new Series S controllers?

Do they charge via micro usb or through a port on the battery compartment? I have a feeling the latter will

I donā€™t currently have any charging docks, but Iā€™m sick of swapping batteries on my current controllers and would like to use docks if possible. But I donā€™t want to buy charging docks only for them to be useless with Series X controllers. Any thoughts / recommendatoins?

eneloops. I canā€™t like to them at work right now but I got a kit for $24 and they have been great. 4 batteries and 1 charger so I am only down for the time it takes to change out.

I use regular Energizer batteries. They work great, and overall, I would wholeheartedly recommend them. https://a.co/d/iA6Uyu1

Duracellā€™s batteries have become infamous for leaking. They went to crap after Berkshire Hathaway acquired them in November 2014.

Iā€™ve got a PowerA charging dock and two battery packs. I have two controllers and keep a battery pack in each. One controller is always on the dock, and the other one is the one I use. Then I just swap out controllers whenever I run out of juice. Works perfectly for me. Battery life is good too.

1 Like

Iā€™ve always had great performance out of the official Microsoft Play-n-Charge kit. The downside is having to plug a cable in to recharge. I would love if they had an official charge cradle like third party products or their Elite V2 case offers.

1 Like

Iā€™ve always loved the ease of use that a dock offers, got an energizer rechargeable dock back for my Xbox one controllers and then got the Elite 2 and love the option to set it in the case or if needed plug it in while playing. Still not super thrilled that itā€™s not removable but it definitely is convenient.

1 Like

Amazon Basics. I have 6 of them that I bought in 2013 for the 360 controllers. Theyā€™ve lost juice but they still give me about Iā€™d say 8-10 hours a charge.

1 Like