What are your predictions for Xbox 2021?

I’m aware of why they announced the games but at the same time, there were leaks going around as well so they decided to confirm them. Also, Fallout 76 was announced and revealed at the same E3 2018 event so why would they need to reassure fans when it was announced at that event and no one knew about it? If anything, I believe that it was more due to leaks and Hines/Howard not wanting to be asked repeatedly about the two games.

That’s great that they increased the size of the studio but that doesn’t take into account 2020 when everyone now and for the future is working at home. I believe that it’s just more wishful thinking than anything and also, I just can’t Microsoft/Spencer stacking late 2021 with FH5, Starfield and Halo but then most likely have 6 months with nothing. That just doesn’t make any sense to me. We should know come June because if Starfield is 2021, that’s when it will get fully revealed and dated.

Honestly, there’s a huge amount of money that Microsoft invested in Bethesda to get these IP. We’ve seen what Disney has done with Marvel and star wars and the IP Bethesda puts out are the gaming equivalent. I’d expect Microsoft to drastically grow the resources working on their games. I wouldn’t be shocked to see Bethesda alone get to 1000+ people that really make sure they are getting everything out of the IP.

2020 Releases: Halo, Psychonauts 2, As Dusk Falls, Forza Motorsport, Wolfenstein 3, Flight Sim, Grounded, 1 Unannounced title.

DOOM Eternal, Gears 5, Bleeding Edge, Minecraft Dungeons will not receive any further content drops after 2021.

Xbox will announce multiple titles, ranging from new and existing IP. ReCore, Viva Piñata, Gears, and Forza Horizon will have new entries.

Xbox will announce their first major Japanese exclusive in years. After Scalebound, they made sure to wait till the game was further along to announce anything. Mistwalker is the visionary team behind it will CyberConnect 2 is doing the brunt of development. Two more unannounced new IPs will be shown, one of which will release late 2020/early 2021.

Xbox Game Studios will expand by at least 5 developers in 2020. At least two smaller/mid (like Behemoth, Playdead, Hello Games, White Owls, etc) and 3 mid/large (like Asobo, Techland, Gearbox, etc.).

2020 was a rough year for some of these developers that will be acquired, leading to Xbox having a heftier acquisition load.

Unsure if a publisher will be acquired or partnered with. Could see either Ubisoft, THQ Nordic, or Private Division partnering with Game Pass. I don’t think the entirety of Take Two or Embracer is interested quite yet.

1 Like

Aren’t Bethesda known for showing a trailer and gameplay or w/e for the first time then shortly after release the game?

Maybe MS saw how big and good Starfield is going to be and that was one of the reasons (one of many reasons) why they picked them up. Todd iirc said something along the lines of this game has been in the heads of the studio for a decade but only after Fallout was done they started actually working on it. 2021 would be 6 years worth of development if they did that so I’d say the main reason for it not coming out in 2021 would be COVID fucked the last year or two of dev.

Maybe it was even suppose to come out this year for all we know but got delayed a year because MS wanted to buy them out (highly unlikely though) but yeah I think it’s a good chance of being a 2021 title and just as much of a chance as a 2022 title.

Starfield has been in development for years

• There isn’t a release date yet, but Todd Howard says that the project has moved out of pre-production and is currently in a playable state internally. The teaser shown at E3 2018 was mostly designed to give us a sense of the game’s atmosphere. In an interview with The Guardian, Howard says "We’ve been talking about it for a decade, we started putting things on paper five, six years ago, and active development was from when we finished Fallout 4, so two and a half, three years.”

Here’s the quote I was talking about, so about 3 years woth of active dev as of OCT 25th 2020, meaning next year would be 4 years. I still think it could drop in 21’ but it’s more probable in 2022 and to come to think of it, probably smarter for MS to “delay” it till 22’ when they get the studio so they get more time and have a fairly good chance at a banger the year after Halo.

1 Like

Yeah, Bethesda did that with several games but at the same time, their games (Fallout 4 and Fallout 76) could have easily used another 6 months of development time if not more.

If it wasn’t for Covid, I do believe that Fall 2021 would have been a high possibility with the first half of 2021 being Halo Infinite but as I say below, due to Covid, I add an extra 6 months or for a full year of development at home is like 6 months in the studio.

I see Microsoft showing a story cinematic trailer at the Xbox Games Showcase in June 2021 followed by a gameplay trailer but it says “2022” at the end of the trailer. Six months later at X021 will be when they do the 30 minute blowout of Starfield for March 2022 assuming that it’s ready to be released.

3 years as of two months ago is good but I automatically subtract 6 months due to Covid so more like 2 1/2 years so in a year from now, more like 3 years instead of 4 because I automatically add 6 months to development time due to Covid and as everyone is working from home, it slows down the process completely compared to being in a studio.

It could always be late 2021 but I believe that once 343 Industries announced Halo Infinite as Fall 2021, that eliminated Starfield being released in 2021. But we’ll see.

1 Like

That 10/2020 article is quoting a 2018 article for that statement.

1 Like

oh was it? I thought the numbers didn’t add up, yeah you’re right.

in an interview with Gameslice’s Geoff Keighley on Monday Todd Howard offered a little more detail on the status of Bethesda’s next two major projects, Starfield and The Elder Scrolls 6. “I would say Elder Scrolls 6 is in pre-production, and Starfield is in production. It’s a game we’ve been making for awhile,” Howard said. “Starfield is playable. Elder Scrolls 6, not in that way yet.”

So Starfield has been in a playable state since at least June 2018, that makes it interesting. Wasn’t that Starfield leak suppose to be from 2018 too, maybe it is further along than we think. Still think it’s either 21 or 22 title, it’s 50/50 for me haha.

the guy who leaked the images from the 2018 build said it had a release date of 2021.

Its not a leap to assume he is right about that considering he had so much other information and pictures

Pretty much agree with @DeoGame (good list!). However I think the zenimax deal maybe finalized a bit later in around late spring.

I just hope MS doesn’t do something silly and bring starfield to PS5. Its clear that sony has no interest in letting gamepass on PS5, sony wants the whole pie, gamepass being on PS5 (even just XGS games) will weaken playstation in the long term so Microsoft is batteling sony for the Zeitgeist, and sony will be very agressive towards xbox so xbox has no choice but be equally agressive regarding exclusive content.

2 Likes

There’s little reason to even try to get gamepass on Playstation. Make the mobile streaming experience easily available on smart tvs, android/iOS etc and then make your offering of it compelling. They don’t need Playstation to get at the Playstation user base, they just need a great and easily accessible option. Besides they are working to completely remake the gaming experience and reach hundreds of millions if not billions of gamers. In the big picture, Playstation is small potatoes in that regard.

2 Likes

Its going to be quite the thing in 2025 if Phil announces “theres 200 million active Xbox players and 85million gamepass subscribers” Theres going to be so much salt :drooling_face:.

Factor covid into everything. Starfield I believe was meant to launch Nov 2021, due to covid I now think its Nov 2022

I can agree with this but instead of Starfield being November 2022, I see it earlier as in March 2022. I do believe that once Halo Infinite was announced for Fall 2021 (will be November), that ended any chance of Starfield being released in 2021.

I hope Phil and booty give devs more time if they need it, maybe pushing a game from a 85-89 metacritic to a 90+.

This is my predicted development timeline on Starfield. This is all speculation, so do not take a word of this as gospel.

Pre-2016

Starfield begins pre-pre-production, with Todd Howard and co. generating ideas over the years. Many are scrapped, many are kept.

2016:

Nuka World goes gold. The team at Bethesda Austin are hard at work modifying the Creation Engine to handle multiplayer, but BGS Maryland have some plans of their own. They begin to rebuild from the ground up the animation system, rendering, etc. and fix some of the core issues with the engine and bugs. Aspects beloved about Creation Engine and Gamebryo before it such as ease of modding, ease of procedural and hand-made generation and physics/interactivity are kept. A story session is held outlining the plot of the game, companions, etc.

2017:

With the team fixing up Creation, the world designers and writers have little to do, so they help out the team at BGS Austin with Fallout 76, contributing to the world design and writing for that game. Creation Engine continues its overhaul, with mechanics now starting to be determined.

2018:

The first playable (seen in the leaked screenshots), is finished. It showcases the mechanics and overhauls to the creation engine. The test environment is basic and procedurally generated. It is shown to the higher-ups at Zenimax, who are impressed. Starfield is announced officially at E3, mostly just to calm concerns that Bethesda who just mere months ago proclaimed “SAVE PLAYER ONE!” from the rooftops was still, in fact, making single player games.

Writing, world design and quest design begins. VOice actors are brought in to audition and start recording their first lines, as characters and NPCs are modeled. Starfield begins to enter a stage where the bones of the game are in place, but there is still work to be done. The mechanics have been decided upon, the story is in place, the main quests are written and the side quests begin, but they need to fully flesh out the world to compensate.

Bethesda Maryland continues their work, as Dallas and Montreal temporarily leave to help Austin on 76. Finally, Maryland takes what is supposed to be a month-long sabbatical to help Austin on 76, but when that game launches in a broken state to horrid reviews, they take extra time to help Austin with the roadmap and to fix up many of the bugs and glitches.

Microsoft enters negotiations to purchase Zenimax, but the deal falls through before any sort of public announcement.

2019:

By April, Fallout 76 is left in Austin’s care, and BGS Maryland returns to full production on Starfield. Work continues on writing, and the environments start to look like actually environments. Internally, a release date of Holiday 2020 is set, but nothing is set in stone, and BGS wants to take fuller advantage of next gen hardware.

In late 2019, a PS5 devkit arrives in the office, and they begin some work on the PS5 version, but PC is still the leading platform. The game is still tentatively set for a 2020 release, and things start to click into place.

2020:

Bethesda immediately encounters two major roadblocks: Covid, and Cyberpunk. Covid speaks for itself. Moving to work from home is difficult, and alternative ways to collaborate and ensure access to the necessary software/hardware need to be provided. Cyberpunk, massive competition for the game, is also delayed to September (and later November and December) which puts it right in Starfield’s territory. Both of these give Zenimax reason to greenlight a delay to Holiday 2021.

However, Zenimax itself has fallen on some difficult times, with some recent underperformance and costly delays (both Wastelanders and Doom Eternal were bumped out of Holiday). They sold off Deathloop and Ghostwire to Sony for a year, and it has reached the point where they are shopping around Starfield. Work on the console version is pulled to a halt, as Sony begins to bid up Starfield, capturing the attention of insiders like Imran Khan and Rand al Thor 19. Microsoft is offered Starfield as a moneyhat, but they decline, because they want more than just Starfield. They re-enter negotiations to purchase Zenimax, and both parties agree to the terms of 7.5 billion dollars. The deal is set to close between January and June of next year.

That brings us to where we are now. Starfield is likely in the finishing stages for the content of the game (Bethesda games have long polishing cycles) and the teams at Dallas and Montreal have left 76 to help with everything from asset creation to bug removal. Work on the Xbox version has resumed, and they may be looking at adding next gen features like raytracing. Internally, the game is still set for Holiday 2021, but with Halo there, they may move it up/back. Teams like Obsidian and InXile can, in a pinch, help with the game like Turn10 did on Halo, and MS can fund additional outside work if they really want it over the finish line.

This is my predicted timeline, but for all I know, I am like 75% wrong (because at least 25% is based on stuff Todd has said and we know), and the game is 2022 (shouldn’t be later I wouldn’t think, knock on wood).

2 Likes

First-party 2021 game releases:

• Psychonauts 2 - April
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator - July
  • Grounded (full release) - August
  • Wolfenstein III - October
  • Halo: Infinite - November
  • Starfield - November

Other exclusive games:

• The Medium - January
  • The Ascent - Feburary
  • Scorn - June
  • Warhammer 40K: Darktide - August

My prediction is that Bethesda will fully become part of Xbox in March. As for how exclusivity will work, no games will be made timed exclusives. Instead games will either be fully exclusive or multiplatform. The majority will be fully exclusive, starting with Wolfenstein III and Starfield.

As for E3, I think it will be a very nice one. Halo: Infinite will get another campaign trailer with gameplay. The graphics will be noticeably better and a release date will be announced for November 15. Flighting will also be announced and will begin within a month of E3. The first of Bethesda’s games as part of Xbox will be announced as exclusive, with Wolfenstein III and Starfield, both having their release dates revealed. We will also get a reveal for Compulsion’s new game. Double Fine’s multiplayer game will also be announced here. We will get a gameplay trailer for Hellblade II, releasing 2022, Forza Motorsport, once again 2022, and Everwild, 2022 as well. A new project from XGS Publishing and Forza Horizon 5 will be revealed at E3 as well.

During the Game Awards next year, inXile’s game will be revealed as a new steampunk RPG and we will get a gameplay trailer for Fable with a 2022 release date. As for other things, I think we’ll get a look at Project Mara from Ninja Theory. I think Halo: Infinite will mark a return to the 90s on Metacritic, and will be the best Halo title in years.

So, overall, a pretty good year for Xbox, with 2022 and 2023 looking even better.

1 Like

My predication -

• More great games!

• Game Pass to become stronger and to show up on smart TVs and PCs

• Xbox Series X to eventually prove its power advantage in cross-platform games

• Series S will continue to surprise

• Bethesda acquisition to be completed and for their games to be exclusive to Xbox ecosystem or at worse, 2 year timed exclusive.

3 Likes

All the leaks around the game (who got even the name right before it was announced) pointed to a 2020 release. For all we know without Covid and Ms acquisition it would be properly revealed and released this year, and that’s not too uncommon for Bethesda.

That’s exactly the point I’m making. With Gamepass you don’t have to time your releases into the well known 3 month AAA onslaught.

If the game is ready you could launch in July or August (and Ms just released Flight Simulator this year on August and that turned out to be the biggest launch in the franchise history.

Again, that’s not what I’m arguing for. I’m suggesting 3 games for the 1st half of the year and another 3 games for the second half. With 6 bigish games in a single year they are going to be somewhat close to each other. And while 6 games per year may seem like too much they are already at enough capacity to deliver around 4 with the Bethesda acquisition giving them an immediate boost.

I’d argue though, that at the pace they are investing, it won’t be long where we starting seeing more than 1 big game per month, but when it comes to that gamepass will have enough subscribers to accommodate for that (and more importantly, it will have enough subscribers where this kinda of output will be somewhat obligatory to keep subscriptions going up)

I don’t think we’ll see a hard cut of like that. The whole point of the architecture they made is that if it makes sense for the game to support more devices you can target them more easily. And I think many of their teams will take advantage of that even past 2021.

Perhaps. One thing is for sure, if Starfield releases in 2022, then it definitely wasn’t going to release in 2020 with or without Covid.

I agree but im 95% certain that Wolfenstein III releases in July and Flight Simulator in August. If they do, do you believe that Starfield still releases in 2021 or gets moved to 2022?

I believe that starting in 2022, we’ll get a top tier AAA game every quarter but no less than 3 in a year with Indies/AA/Global Publishing filling out the rest.

I do not however believe that we’ll get more than 1 AAA title in any individual month from the first party studios. I just don’t see that ever happening. But we’ll see.

I think we will. Thus far, outside of Halo Infinite, no first party exclusive has been announced for Xbox One. Everwild, State of Decay 3, Forza Motorsport, Hellblade, Fable and Perfect Dark are all Series X/S only. I truly believe that Halo Infinite will be the last cross-gen game.

I thought Flight simulator was already confirmed for the 2nd quarter of 2021?

That would depend on how many games they have for 2022. If stuff gets delayed I can see them spreading out the games that are ready over more time to not have any long draughts followed by stacked months. And since covid affected everyone but the degree which everyone one is affected can vary greatly so that is a hard call to make.

I think that’s bound to happen with the growth. Right now they already have a big enough audience that is super diverse (as in, most of the user base don’t even try some of their big games) and once will reach a point it will be so diverse it will have tens of millions of different groups with little overlap in tastes. So they will need both small and big content to keep all those groups satisfied so you would inevitably end up with some games releasing together eventually.