What are you working on?

Man this is definitely in beta. I’ve started to reach the point where the game crashes and nodegraph is all wonky.

I thought I could keep playing around with a single brain but I think I will have to start dividing logic into multiple brains…

1 Like

What I’m doing right now is primarily testing the limits, physical boundaries and what I can and can’t do and I’m getting fairly familiar with the size of the Forgeable area and I would say that it’s plenty large for a BR especially when factoring in that you would have 24 players.

It’s large enough to have a central POI, and then 4 POIs in each quadrant, with a lot of terrain in between all of them (and those terrains could look and feel different).

There is also a whole lot of vertical space afforded and so a good BR map would take advantage of that with some elevation changes. It adds surface area when you do that and essentially increases the size of the map. Think of driving on a warthog from one corner of the map to the other if it was flat. It might just take you a minute to cross the whole length. But if you add a lot of terrain and elevation changes that traversal time doubles because you’ve doubled the surface area. So smart design can make it feel even bigger.

Speaking of smart design I wanted to share a general trick. A lot of videogames is smoke and mirrors and it’s done for the sake of efficiency. What I’ve done here was to make a forest look more lush than it really is by scaling up a tree and putting it on its side.

So it’s just one very big object. I then add trees in front of it to make it look like an actual forest.

So I add around 10 trees in front and it looks like a lush and deep forest. Since this is for a racing mode people won’t go into there and see how the sausage is made. But it has the appearance of using 50 trees when I’ve only used 11 and these sorts of shortcuts can help performance and reducing your object count. In many different circumstances it’s always good to think of trying to reduce object counts especially for background detail.

I’ve done a bunch of Forging last night but learned a lot about what I can’t do with it. Essentially I was testing the limits of welding and especially welding to vehicles. I was hoping to weld shapes to vehicles so they could look like they Daytona car or a Rally car and it looks like I can’t.

In my test I did a crude kit bash of a mecha and attached it to a banshee to see if I could have a Gundam style mech flying around (where in a more advanced version I would shrink the banshee to be invisible). Unfortunately the objects do not remain in phased physics mode when welded. So they literally weigh down the vehicle.

So scratch that idea. I’ll still make a rally mode with the razorback as the vehicle, but it would have been nice to make it look like a Lancia Delta.

Last night I also realized that you can check to see if the player has crouched. So I was thinking it would be funny to have a mode where you get five points for a kill but a point for each time you teabag the player you killed within 5 seconds. Where multiple players teabagging their freshly killed corpse would get your team even more points. Literally endorsing toxic behaviour lol. I’d call that mode “Tea Time”.

9 Likes

That tree trick is pretty smart, if we all post the tricks we find that’ll probably be quite helpful. The biggest helpful tips I’ve noticed so far is that if you’re making your own steps/stairs or an uneven surface you can use an invisible wall (or player blocker) to smooth them out. i was struggling to get my stairs to feel smooth without making them bigger than I wanted and this let me bypass it.
Also, there’s an item in Structures > Doors MP called Wooden Doorframe that has some thin wood edges. Which sounds silly, but if you’re trying to make any specific details with a thin piece of wood you’ll find there isn’t actually a lot of great ways to do that - even just a regular cube scaled down ends up pretty chonky. I’ve been using it so far to make window details.

3 Likes

Ok, just sharing here what I did in case anyone wants to replicate (Ill have my gamemode able to copy ONCE it’s properly finished. I’ll probably publish it as a prefab even.)

Basically if you wanted to do what I was trying to do, you would have to create a list of all the players at the end of the round that are fulfilling a certain condition (in my case, have a BR). Then, at the beginning of the next round, you do whatever you want with that list and then reset it (so it’s clean by the time the round ends).

Not a perfect system, but it works.

1 Like
1 Like

This is some stuff from my Fallout map. Weird that there doesn’t seem to be a whole of options for making text? Best I can find is decals for A-F, which is not great for writing something that starts with G. Also lol I’m starting to think this is going to be a harsh lesson in budget management more than an actual level in the end.

5 Likes

Dude, this just keep looking cooler and cooler. I’m a massive fan of Halo, Destiny, and Fallout, but the only franchise that I have a tattoo from?

Fallout.

1 Like

Thanks! The good news is I have a bunch of Fallout ideas I’d like to try once I finish Goodneighbor, I have 0 intention to do anything but just remake locations from games I like :sweat_smile:

Im basically done with my Counter Strike Test map. 3 weapons you can buy, rounds work (no bomb, it’s like the headshot maps), you stay with the weapon you have if you live, etc…

But… I can’t publish it at all. It doesn’t tell me why.

People that were looking at Uneeq struggling to publish his map, anyone know the reason why he couldn’t? I’m at a loss

edit@@

Basically too long description

@AustinFordGames FYI, when publishing on forgeEra it’s missing the attrition gamemode as one of the available “supported gamemodes”

CounterStrike Gamemode | Map | Forgera (xboxera.com)

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads up! We’ll add it ASAP.

1 Like

Started working on a remake of Hyperblast2 from UT2004. Currently working on the FX outside of the ship, and I think I can get pretty close to the desired effect, similar to the original game. Thing is I need to see if I can add low gravity on the central zone outside of the ship… if not I have an idea that could work and would basically mean a remake of the central zone.

Kinda pain in the ass to do all of it in PC(mouse), something feels off, tried a little bit on controller and everything was smoother to control, but sadly I had drift so everytime I picked up an object it just went flying away. Probably gonna take way more time than I should just because of the mouse.

1 Like

It’s not the exact same as in Hyperblast but I think the effect that will have visually will be similar when the build is done. I need to add more and properly place the FX when the map is done but I’m happy.

3 Likes

So there may be a bug with loops, but what I do to get around the issue is to do loops per function. So for example, if you need to spawn, rotate, and position a list of items, you should do a loop for spawning them, then use the “on completion” function to exit the loop to then pass the next argument to rotate all the objects in a new loop, and so on, another loop for positioning.

1 Like

I’m working on a remake of Temple from GoldenEye / Perfect Dark with a Forerunner/desert setting. Still in the block phase but it’s shaping up nicely.

3 Likes

Just seeing your vfx here with nothing else looks awesome. I love that map, and you seem to have the flavor of it already

1 Like

Thanks. I wish I could make the same VFX but this should work for now, its a remake at the end of the day haha. Hoping for that low gravity update to come soon so I can add that, you know how iconic it is.

1 Like

Ill be creating Pallets. Ill also be consolidating prefabs into o e giant prefab for quick go to and to have an organized means of grouping everything for houses… or my covenant stuff if i find neat things ill group em up. When needed ill have to ungroup and reselect the items by hand which could be painful on tiduosly small prefabs lol. I think its good for quick … Copy … paste setup. Ill also create some my own = others themed/environmental groupem up. I hope this may offer more space on aiming towards maximizing my prefabs before i start forging hard.

If you want help id love to lend a hand. Im a dedicated hali vehicle buff plus i got exp dabbling in forge . Scripts is something im worki g through but will achieve in one means or another thus i joined here

1 Like

It’s called Quadfecta

4 Likes