We need to talk about that Square-Enix relationship with Xbox

It’s April 10th not the 3rd. The deal ends a year after the game was released which was April 10th 2020.

Square has a market cap of about 1 billion.

7+ billion

It sold 1 million copies at full price? I doubt it but I do remember the game selling very well on Xbox when it came out but let’s assume FFXV sold 1 million at full price on Xbox, that’s only 60 million dollars revenue that I’m sure Sony can easily afford and they get a big exclusive even if just for a year or two without having to spend twice the amount in development costs.

Not so sure about that, consider they have to pay for exclusive deals for at least four other games that we know about. And who knows if they continue this into the future.

April 3rd? Thought it was April 10th which is 1 year after ps4 release. Either way it’s some horseshit. But of course Noone cares and Sony isn’t questioned a out garbage antiiconsumer shit like that. People would rather focus on ms owned studios getting pa5 releases. Damn stupid biased world.

Also fallguys had a timed exclusivity deal. But they’ve already mentioned it’s coming out on switch Xbox.

It would be really shitty if ff7 remake never came to xbox. Especially the enhanced version.

Take out license fees (~30%) and store fees (~30%) and the deal becomes even cheaper.

There’s really nothing wrong with the Square-Enix/Xbox relationship, it’s just a case of money talking and Sony being willing to spend money to prevent a release on opposing platforms.

There’s a massive difference in the philosophies towards third-party exclusivity deals between Sony and Microsoft. Microsoft has moved away from the practice but is willing to spend in other ways that enhance the Xbox owner experience - the Game Pass deal for Outriders, for example.

Sony is not only still willing to spend on buying timed exclusivity, they’ve actually stepped up their efforts on that front.

It seems like wasted money, personally. The PS5 was going to get those games as Microsoft isn’t going to pay to keep them off the platform…so they’re really just spending money so non-Playstation gamers can’t play them. It doesn’t benefit PS gamers at all.

3 Likes

It definitely isn’t wasted money… Right now the early buyers are making a platform decision and cornering the market on SE definitely matters. Same goes for Capcom and their games. There will be more that comes to light soon as well

The point is that the majority of gamers are simply not patient. Many will buy their system for the generation in the next few months, and software absolutely matters. Hell, at this time the buzz is that FFVIIR will not come to the Xbox at all. Same goes for FFXVI and others. If I were as impatient as many their strategy would have worked on me for certain

Fortunately for MS, I simply cannot buy that ugly PoS that is the PS5. I won’t have that monstrosity in my house.

But it gets people like me who just want to play the game now instead of a year later to buy the game.

The FF7 remake exclusivity runs out 10th of April. Sony putting FF7 remake on ps plus for March suggests to me they’re trying to push it as much as possible before it comes to PC and possibly xbox.

There is 0 mention of Integrade being a ps5 exclusive. So my theory is

April 10th pc version gets announced for definite coming out same time as integrade with intergrade content.

Possible but not certain…ff7 remake comes to gamepass. But standard xbox version only. Integrade comes to series XS in June same time as ps5 and pc. No free upgrade for gamepass similar to ps plus.

Or they might just completely ignore the Xbox version and put out integrade on series XS in June.

I don’t mid waiting for games like FF16 is they’re in a poor state. If ff16 ends up like 15. Its going to be better post launch. Plus I have 0 interest in spending 70 bucks on it day 1. I can wait. Same goes for deathloop and Ghost wire. Both games will be much improved. Cheaper and have more content when they come to series X. Especially deathloop and Ghostwire.

It will probably be just be Integrade on Series X|S. I can’t see Square going through all that work to port an older version to Xbox One anymore now. But who knows I guess.

I still firmly believe that it’s a matter of when and not if when it comes to FF7R on Xbox.

1 Like

I hope so. I’m absolutely certain FF16 will come to Xbox series consoles after a year but not 100% on remake. I think pc version is certain. I’m about 90 percent confident about an Xbox version

Well see April 10th.

How amazing would it be if 7R dropped on April 10th on gamepass suddenly. Would be rad. Although I probably won’t play it again until series x version

I’ve already sort of beat thr gsme on ps4 but the 30fps cap annoyed me a bit. I’m gonna 100 percent it on next gen but I’d prefer if it came to series x. Don’t have a ps5 and don’t plan on getting one until at least god of War.

1 Like

Yeah if the base version FF7R comes to Xbox I can see it coming in April on Gamepass. It’s so annoying how long we’re waiting for it, the year has really dragged on.

2 years of exclusivity for a single game definitely vis wasted money

1 Like

Not if it nets you the sales you wanted.

I don’t think its about sales. If FF7 Remake came out on Xbox and PS4 only…it would sell just as much on PS4 as it originally did.

If anything it would have sold a lot on Xbox too and sold more in general. But the amount of money Sony paid it sort of subsidised possible Xbox sales revenue…and on top of that SE will probably make that Xbox money from Gamepass Contract + future sales of it on Series consoles anyway. For Sony it makes sense. And SE got paid a shit ton. Theres no way they’d be signing these deals if it didn’t mean huge sums of money.

And for SE…its sort of a win win. They know they can make the contract money on top of sales + Future sales of PC/Xbox after they’ve milked the Sony money. The future issue is they’re gonna demand more money for timed exclusivity so Sony won’t bother doing it for all of their games.

IT sucks fans on Xbox/PC get left out for a while. In the FF7 situation…it sucked especially because people were forced to play it at 1080p 30FPS. Those who game on PC and consoles had to settle for inferior version because Sony paid for timed exclusivity.

IF the Ps4 version ran it well and optimized fully…i wouldn’t care as much.

It’s an antiquated way of doing business when your competition is capable of outspending you in areas that actually matter. Sony is competing agains MS the same way they did against Sega in the late 90s, the difference is MS today is willing to drop considerable sums of money to get games into game pass which benefits the gamer, the dev, and MS where as Sony’s system benefits Sony, the gamer would have got it either way, and the pub gets the moneyhat money. Games like Outriders will not be the last and they’ll only get bigger and bigger as pubs start seeing the benefits of supporting a user base of 20 million + subscribers.

2 Likes

FF15 definitely sold much more than 1 million on xbone, as it reached that mark on US and launch alone.

3 Likes