We need to talk about that Square-Enix relationship with Xbox

Is Dragon Quest Builders real? I thought I was having a beautiful dream.

Where is this rumor coming from?

It was very much justified. There was no other Square-Enix game announced for Xbox anymore except for Outriders and Balan Wondeworld. Things are looking better now, I just hope they will not only add Final Fantasy but also their AA back catalogue. I’m as happy as anyone to see Octopath coming over. Now we should all play it, too!

2 Likes

As a Switch owner, you should try Octopath. Bravely Default 2 is great as well, though I’m uncertain anyone but Nintendo ever gets it. I would love P5 to come to Xbox, but it will probably be Strikers

Is the square thing now

Yes, over at

Forspoken looks great. Sony has at least a two year console exclusive on it as well.

I did play Octopath on the Switch a couple years ago. It‘s excellent, both from its visual presentation as well as the battle system. I‘ll be replaying it with achievements though, though I was not far from the ending back then.

Outriders and Octopath Traveler are a step in the right direction, but at the same time we have another PS5/PC exclusive announced with Xbox ignored.

Square just ndoesn’t appear to take MS seriously when it comes to RPG’s. A two year window of console exclusivity for Sony on the new project is a terrible precedent.

Square follows the money, and Sony throws good money for time exclusivity.

1 Like

Sony paid big bucks for two years. Stop doomposting about a game we already knew was a timed exclusive last year.

5 Likes

It seems to be easy for Sony to moneyhat SE RPGs because they can easily afford the sales they predict they would do on Xbox, it really sucks for Xbox players that are fans of SE RPGs, I’m actually very sad about Forspoken because I think it looks amazing but 2 year exclusivity is just ridiculous, maybe I’ll have a PS5 by then though.

This simply isn’t true, FFXV sold at least a million copies on Xbox… And it’s doubtful Sony is paying the equivalent of that.

That was announced previously they just changed the name. However this one was paid by Sony for a timed exclusive.

While they taking money from Sony to skip Xbox is bad, other games like Last Remnant, some remasters, DQ Builders and etc not releasing on xbox is even worse.

Does anyone know if FFXVI is just timed exclusive to PS or is it completely exclusive?

Also, will it be PS5 only or on PS4 too? Man. If this is exclusive for PS5 that is a pretty big thing for me. Far more important than 95% of PS5 games to me personally. :sob:

Well, you can assume some amount of the audience would wait and buy the game when it comes out (lets assume 50%). So that decreases the number of copies they have to offset. Cost per copy would also be a fraction of retail (take out store and licensing fees).

I think itd become a pretty realistic number.

A year of exclusitivity is hard enough to deal with. Two years is ridiculous, as is the very real possibility that Xbox may not get FFVIIR at all. I hate the design of the PS5, and will not consider it until they shrink it way down or redesign it. And the fact I have no option to buy these games as a result is irritating. To the extreme. Was going to build a PC, but finding a GPU is an experience in and of itself

FFXVI better only be a year …

MS pays for stuff to come to Xbox or Xbox Game Pass like the Kingdom Heart games, late ports of FF, and what we saw with Octopath. The problem with that is it sets a dangerous precedence where SE can hold out on porting stuff to Xbox until MS forks over money instead of just dropping stuff day 1 on Xbox and then taking some cash for a deal on Game Pass.

Sony timed exclusive deals don’t let you mention other platforms or ports at all until the deal is expired. The deal expires April 3rd, 2021. If we don’t here anything about on Xbox port of FFVIIR by the end of April I highly doubt it’s ever coming to Xbox.

I mean the NDA’s on the timed exclusivity are so aggressive they haven’t even announced the all but confirmed PC port.

4 Likes

Well look at it this way. Sony is essentially paying SE for games despite being the major platform for those games. It that a bad precedent where one day Sony doesn’t want to pay anymore? I think the same applies to MS. SE is just talking advantage of the situation they are in now and they will gladly take the money if it is there.