Watch Dogs Legion 4K/30fps w/RT on Xbox Series X/PS5

Wonder if they’ll clarify the “4K” on both consoles

They both native? They both dynamic? Is one native and the other dynamic? etc etc

1 Like

I doubt they’ll clarify, ubisoft never seem to get too in the weeds with these things, but at least we have digital foundry to give us the answers.

Dynamic resolution could be one thing. But it will be interesting to see how RT will work with a dynamic resolution game.

Other thing could be level of RT.

I’m not surprised it’s 30FPS because a hugely systemic, AI driven game like this is gonna eat up CPU time like crazy even on PC and it seems you need a beefy CPU for the PC version. Which makes me wonder how on earth it’s even running on Jaguar cores on the base/enhanced 8th gen consoles.

More talk of the Xbox APIs being behind where they should be and this impacting, or potentially impacting launch games from NX gamer in this video.

One has to wonder - is the Halo delay more down to the need to sort out the APIs? Was it logical that from within a few weeks just months to launch they suddenly identified the project wouldn’t complete? OR is it possible that 343i said to Phil that if you want a graphics complete version you need to get the API sorted first?

I am so glad we are phasing out Jag Cores :grimacing:

The thing is. Where is the evidence of their apis being behind?

We are seeing the full launch lineup running on the actual console more than one month from launch, on preview units, and the performance is already pretty much perfect.

If there was any issue why would Ms just give the console in the hands of the press and allow them to record and analyze unfinished games so far from launch?

And the performance analysis showed why. They have nothing to be ashamed of, their console is performing spectacularly well.

Granted, we know RT performance is not final due the GDK leak, but that is not preventing launch and launch window games from using it as well.

1 Like

I guess you could argue it’s why we’ve mainly seen BC titles running and not much new stuff that would rely on the API being ready and feature full…there is a bit of smoke around this. And I’m unconvinced they’ve shown a game running on the hardware yet that puts this to bed. A game that needs to utilise the new RDNA 2 efficiencies etc to get performance. One could argue we may see that in the bigger multiplat titles this winter. Let’s just wait and see. Not sure DF or even NX gamer would just make stuff like this up. So devs must be unhappy somewhere,

Richard never said all devs were unhappy, he said that the GDK was a bit later than the PS5, and that some developers ( not all ) were having a bit more difficutly to adapt to it, but others were also pretty happy about it. So far, the only game ( I think ) that has RT coming a bit later on SX is DMC 5. WD will still have it apparently at launch. As for the games being shown, we are lucky to be able to already see something running on a preview console so far out from launch.

1 Like

Any game SX enhanced like Gears 5, Dirt5, Yakuza 7 (all of which they allowed unrestricted access to performance, more than 1 month from launch, something never done before) are making use of the rdna2 efficiency.

They had more BC games being showcased because there’s already a enormous library of them available, versus games that are currently coming hot to make it for launch.

However all of those games (save for yakuza 7 which caps the 4k mode to 30fps so we don’t know how exactly runs, though it’s still quadrupling the X resolution and offering a 1440p60 mode that’s also higher resolution than the game on X) are running so well that it’s hard to believe there are any api issues that hinder performance.

If there is something about the GDK I’d think it would be more on the development support side of things. Stuff like debugging on all targets profiles (remember on Xbox there’s a single devkit that allows you to benchmark from SX all the way down to xbone) not working as it should or something like that.

1 Like

Yeah, also let’s keep in mind that the goal with GDK is to unify all of game development on Ms side.

To make it clear, it’s about unifying win32 game development, uwp game development, XDK (from xbone to SX, and also cloud) into a single environment, keeping compatibility with the separated environments.

Its not an easy task at all, and for some stuff to not be as smooth as it should even post launch is perfectly reasonable. Though that will likely improve a lot over time.

2 Likes

Exactly. Although I have one question, is there also gonna be Ray Tracing on Dirt 5 ?

Halos delay or only showing backward compatible titles has nothing to do with APIs. If APIs weren’t ready, you would not get any new software on launch like Valhalla or Gears Tactics.

No, game is not using any RT (in any version, not even Pc)

Thank you !

Well, it’s not long now until we’ll see for ourselves. If it turns out that the XSX version is not on par with PS5, kinda like 2013, although that was a really bad situation, that will be very unfortunate and you can bet the usual suspects will be all over it.

But I’m not gonna worry about it, in time things will work out I’m sure. If it’s a big problem at all, that is.

I really hope this “looks last gen” line to criticize games that dont have photo realistic graphics ends. Now every game that comes out “looks last gen” and it irks me to see it.

1 Like

I think it’s more an issue of Xbox being a bit behind in their api and will likely impact launch only. But nobody knows how big an issue it is. It is frustrating that after the disastrous api issues with Xbox one that once again they have seemingly dropped the ball a bit. As you say it will be blown up by the usual suspects who won’t care that it’s a temporary software issue. By the time MS sort it nobody will even care and it won’t be mentioned and the agenda will already be set.

Hopefully they’ve managed to sort out most of the issues.

As long as it’s nothing like 2013 with rather big resolution differences it should be fine.

https://youtu.be/szrDcTGvp7o

Mate. Watching the Stormzy stuff alone is making me want to get this damn game. Though this is pretty soft for grime tbh.

If this game has a grime soundtrack I’m fucking sold. Was going to rent it but might just have to cop it now.

1 Like