Video Game Market Analysis Thread

Chips restrained immensely helped out Xbox to start the gen.

PS5 would have a disgusting grip on the market if there wasn’t any stock issues.

1 Like

Same here. I also think they have exclusive content? PS5 is default for that game here.

It’s going to take some years, but MS has to prove they can consistently release high quality, attractive, mainstream games every year going forward. For the public, Sony and Nintendo having good years is the norm, for Xbox it’s an exception and then it’s back to “whatever” to “horrible (last year)” years.

The other major thing is that they need to make Xbox bigger in regions they aren’t comfortable in which I still feel they don’t completely understand.

Some people think “CoD on Game Pass” is the magic bullet solution to everything, I personally don’t think so, with it being still on PS being one leading reason. Consistent, high-quality, high marketed exclusives are what’s needed.

5 Likes

It’s an uphill battle for sure. I thought Xbox would do better than they are, but I guess we are still waiting on the big games to start carrying for the mainstream audience.

Are they losing market share in the US too?

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s going to be tough since it’s easier to get and people follow wherever their friends go. Starting to look like they really need ABK deal to go through and then entice gamers to make switch by offering battle pass bonuses and other perks. Crazy that they chose the worst gen o have a disaster. I think similar thing could’ve happened to Sony if the PS3 fiasco happened last gen. Anyways, Microsoft has to improve output and get some AAA stuff here because that is how they’ll move units and convince PS gamers to also get a Xbox console.

According to numbers it seems they may have not close the gap that well in the US since there are more PS5s in stock. I think they really need to have a strong year and then some because consistency is key. Plus, they need to improve their marketing because I still feel not many know gamepass or why they should get it. I think Microsoft needs to revamp their marketing because I think they’re behind and don’t do a good job selling a product.

https://twitter.com/Genki_JPN/status/1621146434648285184

1 Like

Aight, ah well.

Microsoft better be saving up supplies to launch Starfield Series X Bundles, because I don’t see anything else moving the needle enough this year to make a difference. I get Game Pass is their main product, but if they’re not advertising it beyond word of mouth it will take too long to get into the mainstream talk.

3 Likes

Gamepass advertisement is poor tbh. I don’t think I’ve seen many gamepass commercials. Word of mouth marketing can only take you so far, and they should start getting bold. I don’t know what the cost would be, but for example they should be advertising gamepass and major games coming soon at sporting events like Superbowl, playoffs, soocer/football games, etc. I think we’re beyond the stage of word of mouth and Microsot needs to market aggressively. They also might have to create new AAA IPs too because I don’t think Gears and Halo hits with the gamers today like it used to.

1 Like

Best way to start, probably: The Show 2023 coming to game pass day 1 during base games.

They need to ramp up series x production, series s is available everywhere. Especially with holiday stock(with huge discounts) remaining.

4 Likes

Xbox is, at worst, being outsold 1.5:1 after the Xbox One gen.

5 Likes

Yep. Give the consumers what they want.

Stop forcing the Series S on folks.

5 Likes

MS needs to do what Sony is doing: big marketing push for their consoles games and also several third party deals with big franchises . Stuff like Hogwart’s Legacy is going to boost PS5 like crazy even though chances are the best place to play is going to be on Xbox (besides PC of course).

MS needs to start spending money to send the word out and they need to make everything they buy exclusive. Fuck the competition honestly, it’s not about “we all play, we all win”, but about “X Gonn’ Give It To Ya”! Gamepass domination happens with mass adoption, which we are not getting right now, and while Series S is nice, if that’s all you push then it makes Xbox seem like a budget place to play games. Give people the X, font raise the price with pack in games, accept that 50$ loss as you’ll make up for it in no time, and get games usually associated with Sony (for example, next Resident Evil) associated with your console. A marketing deal with RE4 remake right now could have done great honestly to counter that Harry Potter hype a little.

Considering PS5 is up while Xbox is down means it’s not because the pandemic is over and there is a correction, or at least, of there is, then Xbox is losing customers that are heading towards Sony and those are gone for at least the rest of the generation, if not more.

2 Likes

I will just say, the amount of times I’ve been near a TV, or a device playing Youtube ads, and have heard:

is a LOT. And I know Xbox has the equivalent, on the trailers they post on the Xbox YT channel. Problem is I never hear that outside of the Xbox YT channel lmao.

3 Likes

TV is getting more and more irrelevant, but not having your ads everywhere on YouTube is sad. I’m starting to see some ads for Redfall on Facebook, we need more but maybe it’s a step in the right direction.

Hopefully last quarter has somewhat opened their eyes.

I don’t think having ads on TV is old, but you need to center the ad slot during an important event or episode. I rarely see xbox games or gamepass as a promoted tweet on twitter or as an ad on youtube like @saintsflow20 mentioned. I think they need to get the word out what gamepass is and which big games are landing on it because I feel they don’t market that well. I feel they need to take these steps to improve the brand which will result in more sales.

Hah, all the time on YT.

I was exactly like you back in 2020, each time i saw someone posting PS5 would be way ahead of XS i thought they were crazy.

By that time tho, i saw nobody expecting all their games shown in their showcase to land later than 2022, which meant they’d land a stead flow of AAA’s. Sadly the lack of an AAA until a year after the console launched, and then over half a year after that, and Halo Infinite not being what it could be… i guess none of us could see that coming.

This all said i still think Xbox will win on USA as soon as it gets a couple RPG and FPS and Gamepass keeps growing

2 Likes

But does it get you to actually buy any PlayStation or Nintendo product? If not, then its a failed and wasted advertisement.

5 Likes