Video Game Market Analysis Thread

I think as long as they can’t reasonably cost reduce the consoles, a low end console will need useful later in the gen when people would typically be buying on the cheap.

We are 3 years into this generation and console prices have actually gone up. When will mainline consoles hit 299? How about 199?

2 Likes

Its tricky because once that price drop happens people will shrug and say its just $199. However, at the moment here in Canada it’s alarming how there’s always multiple in stock while other consoles are sold out . Plus my friends wont considered a series s since its much weaker. Next gen will be interesting to see if they continue strategy. Personally, I think a digital version of main console is way to go

Next gen might already be digital only :stuck_out_tongue: or perhaps with a externsl drive like Sony already appears to be planning.

2 Likes

Your friends aren’t the target audience though. You won’t be hearing from people who buy a series S that they bought a series S. It targets the casual audience that isn’t talking about consoles online with passion.

I still think it’s good busines move. But we’ll see in a couple yars if it was worth it.

4 Likes

My friends are somewhat the market they play mostly sports, shooters, and massive AAA every now and then. However they still want to play those games in 4K

1 Like

Thats the thing. Even the casual audience wants the XSX lol.

1 Like

I saw this posted on Tweakers, Dutch tech forum in Xbox thread. I can only say I hope the guy is dead wrong. It also wouldn’t make sense, Diablo last year looked anything but rough. And a Starfield show is coming up pretty soon!

It’s from RE. He turned out to be right about Tango, but at the same time there were more sources implying a release today. Also the Azure stuff. I don’t keep up with that, but is that even remotely true?

Didn’t want to post this on the studios thread, just keep it in here.

2 Likes

The shadowdrop rumour has been floating around before this guy posted it and Azure has been doing alright. So maybe he has heard something, but wouldn’t take it as gospel in any case.

People hear rumours from discord servers all the time. Most of the time it’s bullshit

Edit: also if all the teams would have to release something before end of fiscal year why the fuck wouldn’t they give FM a release date lol.

11 Likes

The MS Financial reports were linked earlier in this thread and posted by MS so no need to read what others say about it when you can go to the source material.

Here they are again along with 2023 forecasts:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Investor/earnings/FY-2023-Q2/document/viewdocument/SlidesFY23Q2.pptx

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Investor/earnings/FY-2023-Q2/document/viewdocument/FinancialStatementFY23Q2.xlsx

Microsoft forecasts for Q3 2023 earnings:

• Overall gaming revenues to decline in high single digits %
  • Xbox content and services declining in low single digits %
  • Windows OEM revenue to decline in mid to high 30%
  • Devices (Surface) revenue to decline mid 40%

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1618023417734926336

1 Like

Also didn’t mention FM in the post because it has no date yet. If it does, he/she would have mentioned coming in hot despite how it looks.

If MS loses tons of money on Azure Xbox will be their last problem. The stock would totally tank and Nadella searching for a new job.

Spoiler: they didnt lose money on Azure, they made tons of it.

Making up such shit only a day after the fiscal report from Microsoft is amateur hour.

6 Likes

Didn’t the recent earnings result said Azure did great again? Besides, this company still has strong standing. Don’t treat it like it’s Circuit City or Blockbuster.

2 Likes

Iirc azure was up like 30%

• Server products and cloud services revenue increased 20% (up 26% in constant currency) driven by Azure and other cloud services revenue growth of 31% (up 38% in constant currency)
7 Likes

It did. Thats why this is so bonkers. How is your first sentence in this ‘insider leak’ a obvious fake everyone can verify is untrue in 5 seconds or even knows its false because it happend right before?

Also, if Azure loses money the deficit will be in the billions and no Starfield can save the fiscal year.

3 Likes

See @Staffy , you should now entirely ignore everything that person is saying from now on. They’re an obvious console warrior. It was so easy to invalidate them.

3 Likes

Ah classic FUD

Also as some as noted if Azure were actually losing money Satya would have be out of MS like months ago lol (spoilers alert! Wether it is big or small Azure is basically the thing that always goes up in MS).

Seems like the dude is just riding the wave of bad press MS as a whole has gotten and wanted a piece of cake on the matter.

4 Likes

If MS hypothetically lost a ton of money on Azure, they aren’t going to go around to the games division to help “blunt the loss”. The divisions stand alone for the most part and if one has a problem then that is what investors will focus on. The games division making some quick cash won’t hide a problem in a different division.

That’s like saying Sony is going to push out TLOU3 early because the movie division is in the red due to Morbius 2 flopping.

4 Likes

Microsoft has 3 major segments where they report revenue and operating income separately. Xbox is in More Personal Computing, Azure is in Intelligent Cloud. So profits tanking in Azure could not be hidden by releasing Starfield earlier. Also, Azure makes more profit in a year than Xbox in revenue in the same time. It just makes zero sense.

Famitsu sales

1. [NSW] Fire Emblem Engage – 144,558 / NEW
  2. [NSW] Pokemon Scarlet / Violet – 43,983 / 4,739,035
  3. [NSW] Splatoon 3 – 16,091 / 3,833,699
  4. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 13,857 / 5,115,176
  5. [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports – 9,220 / 978,511
  6. [NSW] Minecraft – 8,146 / 3,016,620
  7. [NSW] Mario Party Superstars – 6,009 / 1,157,864
  8. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! – 5,942 / 2,830,215
  9. [PS5] Gran Turismo 7 – 5,468 / 267,222
  10. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 5,327 / 5,105,655

Hardware Sales

Switch – 51.587 (28.101.042)

PlayStation 5 – 42.152 (2.548.810)

PlayStation 4 – 2.544 (9.425.538)

Xbox Series X|S – 945 (402.131)

3DS – 83 (24.596.902)

For the games side, FE Engage had a good opening. Not much else to say there lol

Hardware side, Switch had a big drop, quite low for Switch (still #1 though lol), PS5’s new average is 40k from the looks of things.

There was a conversation earlier about the lack of Series X, this is another market where there is a demand for Series X but they are sent very, very little. Again, Series S is in stock everywhere there.

2 Likes

Microsoft what are you doing. Send more consoles to japan right away

Especially when Wo long hits.