Video Game Market Analysis Thread

Exactly. Selling the Series S at $200 this year versus $250 - $270 last year is at least 20% lower.

2 Likes

Gonna need Sony’s numbers for third party sales to see if the decline is the result of pandemic boom being over.

If it’s just Xbox declining then it should be new supporting material for CMA / EC.

1 Like

It isn’t pretty. This isn’t “Xbox is doomed” but this should put to rest the “Meh, all they need is Game Pass.” rhetorics I’ve seen before in reaction to 2022 Xbox.

8 Likes
3 Likes

Shocking financials… Sad to see even though Xbox ecosystem is incredible now.

As they say, the bangers need to drop.

This is why ABK must go through, to save Xbox.

When Phil or Satya moves on it’s possible the new person guts Xbox and shuts it down if it doesn’t start making more $$$

This. The complete lack of knowledge of interpreting these results is not surprising. But it’s very obvious. MS have been effectively shifting production to mainly series S as they cannot make that many series X consoles with silicon prices and issues. They have reduced the series S price. They are almost certainly reaching the market saturation points for the series S at least initially yet they are still not producing the X in volume.

The numbers are considerably better than I think anyone was expecting given lower unit cost and significant reduction in series x to market.

This means literally nothing in the way people are suggesting. If anything it probably means they really need to get the series x production ramped up and consider how they can permanently lower the series s price.

3 Likes

TBH I don’t think most people still realise Microsoft/Xbox own Minecraft.

I even forget and my daughter was playing it earlier today.

1 Like
1 Like

Windows decline is the pain for MS. That will be reason for layoffs.

Oh right!! yeah I asked because I remembered seeing this character in a tv show from my childhood :grinning: thanks!!

Christ! aside form their cloud division its no mystery why they are lying off so mane people :grimacing:

Also does someone know if they said something about the acquisition? or just the same stuff?

I wonder if the barren 2022 is the cause of this. I know many of us are enthusiast, but I think having a barren 2022 made undecided consumers wait for PS5 availability. Hopefully they can bounce back this year and never repeat a 2022

Not sure yet but I’m 99% sure it’s your standard usual stuff that they’ve been saying over the past year.

Don’t worry a sub 300 gaming console that can run Starfield with Mods will sell like bonkers for the casual that is interested audience. 2023 is a bouce back year for sure.

1 Like

To be expected though. With all the free upgrades their biggest driver has been new computers purchased during the pandemic. The new pc market has fallen off a cliff so I don’t expect an uptick for about 18 months to two years

The Xbox numbers aren’t good but were more or less in line with their expectations. It was a two fold problem, a lack of first party titles and also a lack of big third party software bar Call of duty.

I wonder if a lack of X stock played a part as well? Anecdotally, they’re still not easy to find for some reason. My local shopping centre has a 4 major retail chains and you still can’t find an X on the shelf. Meanwhile, there’s 4 different PS5 skus (digital, regular, GoW bundle, controller bundle) just sitting there waiting to be bought. They need to get that thing out there by the time Starfield launches.

1 Like

100 percent. A lot of people do not want the S. I know this from speaking with my cousin whos worked at game retail in the uk for past 3 years.

Lack of major exclusive if the biggest. I Remember when forza horizon 5 came out these things were flying off the shelf.

1 Like

Yes.

I’ve always been of the opinion that a digital Series X > Series S. I hope they’re able to build more Series X consoles this year.

1 Like

Whenever I go to the game store there are a bunch of series S just sitting there . Unsure if its like that everywhere else. However, it makes me think a series s shouldn’t happen again and they should aim for digital version of main console instead

1 Like

I disagree on the Series S not happing again. But they definitely need to be putting out more Series X stock when they have big games on the way. If that means making digital only version all the better.

1 Like