Video Game Market Analysis Thread

lol

not the move anyone should do in a market where they are trying to break into.

They were never going to break into the market via hardware anyways.

Sucks for the Xbox fans over there though.

2 Likes

They’re not really in it for this market though. All Japanese efforts they make are for the sake of getting JP games for Western players

3 Likes

Lackluster preorders for PSVR2

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-01-31/sony-playstation-vr2-headset-pre-order-disappointment-leads-to-production-cut

Sony Slashes PlayStation VR2 Headset Output After Pre-Orders Disappoint

• High price seen as a limiting factor for wider adoption

• Sluggish demand exacerbates lackluster momentum for VR sector

The company halved its forecast for shipments of the PSVR2, which is set for a Feb. 22 release, this quarter to about a million units, said people familiar with its deliberations. Sony had previously aimed to have 2 million headsets ready for the launch quarter and leverage its second-generation headset to drive user growth and adoption for VR.

2 Likes
1 Like

Imagining laughing at price increase, only for your side to get hit on something as well. Regardless, Monday finally bringing the bad news on both front.

At least the price adjustments were delayed for longer to see if the financial pressures would self-correct. Obviously the pressures haven’t and won’t anytime soon. :slightly_frowning_face:

One thing that tells me is PS clearly overestimated the fans. They won’t eat everything up like it’s free candy.

1 Like

The yen is down bad

2 Likes

This is the perfect time to launch a PC and Console supported VR platform

Most of the VR enthusiasts won’t dive into a closed Console environment

Sony must make an exception here and release VR games day and date on PC platforms

Make there headset compatible with PC

And then they will meet targets

I’ll bet PS is hoping for influencers and reviewers to sell it real hard.

1 Like

A tethered system in the year of the lord 2023 with a hefty sticker price, no killer software and no access for PC players is only for the hardcore cultists. Sad to see there are still more than a million of them on this planet.

I expect this thing to die faster than the PS Vita which also had no confidence and major first party support out of the gate.

Seems even Disgaea 7 is outperforming Forspoken in Japan, even on PS. To paraphrase, a budget JRPG from a small company is outperforming Square’s AAA project that was supposed to be “the next big thing.”

Won’t be surprised if Forspoken makes this list at this point

5 Likes

Im pretty sure every japanese xbox fan bought one. Knowing the 4 xbox guys i who have an xbox and live in japan…they have bought every console near launch.

But they need moee incentive to buy one. Price increase isnt going to do much.

1 Like

Sony denies shipments lowered for PSVR2:

Didn’t they deny the shipment of PS5 only to be mostly if not true? I mean it is funny how we can easily believe with Sony, but anyone else, whoever wrote is 1000% true. All I’m saying is, believe what you will.

1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes

World Cup hype really helped.

That remind me, is the contract with Game Pass close to ending or has it expanded? It has been doing more good than harm.