Video Game Market Analysis Thread

They should send more Series X. Series S has been in stock in JP stores since late Sept (it is in stock everywhere at this moment). Series X is the hardest console to acquire in Japan, and with a whopping 35 of them sent there this week… yeah, this just makes Phil’s speeches at TGS about Japan being an important market feel like a bunch of fluff honestly. Feels like there’s towel throwing from MS already.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s exactly what I mean, all Xcloud gets is Series X. So they should invest in Japan the same way and start flooding stores with them. It’s going to be slow of course, but the investment will have a better chance of paying off if they do. Even more so if they buy a Japanese publisher after ABK closes.

Can’t flood stores with what you don’t have.

I don’t think it’s necessarily that smart to prioritize Japan over some of their other markets either. I think a push in their weaker western markets is much more likely to succeed than one in Japan. Their recent acquisitions at least give them content that will help in those markets.

2 Likes

Ff16 will explode ps5 sales, sony better be prepared.

FF is one of the few IP that will do well in Japan. Sony will push even harder on the stocks. Jim did say the issue would be much better closer to Christmas and as we walk into 2023…seems like he was right.

GT7 surpassing 200k from the PS5 version alone is also good news.

lmaooooo

xbox is getting cooked in that region, damn

Theuve doen decent this year. Better than expected. But what do you expect with virtuslly no 1st party titles.

You’re panicking again.

5 Likes

Yup!

:joy:

3 Likes

That dog is Ace! Someone get them a nice new chew toy as a reward.

2 Likes

lol

It also turns out that Square has been in direct contact with Sony about the PS5 Japan stock situation

https://twitter.com/Genki_JPN/status/1606448051660681216

Rather than panicking it is more of a disappointment. But I guess we have to accept the fact that Microsoft is not planning to sell Xbox consoles in asian region anymore. There were hopes for Xbox 360 sales level but oh well.

Guess Microsoft has accepted that home console market in japan (and console market in general) should be given to Nintendo and last Playstation’s attempts to be viable there…

Also makes me sad that Xbox One fell so bad that Series consoles literally sell a lot when they are so much cheaper than Playstation - price literally does not affect Sony but Xbox literally needs price cuts to be an attractive proposition across asian or european markets.

1 Like

1p plays a minor role in that. All over the world but in japan especially.

lol instead of all of that why not just realize that Xbox has a limited number of consoles and they sent them to the more important regions. There is not running clock on being able to expand into Asia unlike what forum goers believe and Xbox has already made great strides there early in this gen.

So yeah, you are panicking.

1 Like

I personally gave up on Xbox winning against Playstation in Europe. You just can’t fight that mind share anymore - if even in Xbox 360 era, when they launched 1 year earlier and was cheaper and then still could not win in Europe - then after Xbox One fiasco they have no chance to recover in Europe at all.

My observation is that Microsoft gave up on “hardcore” console market anywhere outside USA (in USA they still sell a lot of Series X consoles) and went towards “let’s sell Xbox as a companion console to Playstation owner” in a vein similar to Nintendo where Nintendo is a companion console.

You can even see it from UK market (which the sole european Xbox market in 360 era) - Xbox Series S sold a lot when Microsoft made discounts on Series S consoles.

The only difference is that unlike Nintendo, Xbox has to win the market recognition back and they have a catalog similar to Playstation for now (before their first start releasing really big and new games and IPs). I don’t envision european folks giving up on Playstation in favor of Xbox, so the only inroad towards that market left is via a companion console. When you have countries with 70% PS market share, it is the only way.

PC & mobile is a different matter though.

Lot of speculation about the ever changing future.

It is ever changing though? It is expanding but the “old platforms” whether those were home consoles or handhelds don’t change.

Think it’s a lot easier to turn things around in Europe than it will be to turn things around in Japan. Their acquisitions will help them there, but not much has really changed in content that targets Japan.

In Europe they battle mind share, in Japan they battle mind share and a lack of content.

2 Likes

If you ask me, it’s about catching up rather than beating others. It’s why the main battle to win ABK is crucial. I know some don’t think it’s important because it’s not their preference or whatever, but the value is definitely strong. Like game development exclusively for one platform, the effect won’t happen overnight. In time it will. In short, next gen, it will be much much much closer. Maybe not in certain region, but you will see a lot different than today.

I am not so sure - I think Europe to Xbox is what Japan for Playstation at this point :man_shrugging: No matter how many moneyhats Sony will do with Square Enix, it won’t help against Switch there. So no matter what Microsoft buys (especially with COD staying multiplat) it won’t change much for Europe - by the time TES6 arrives, Sony will have a big console advantage in Europe anyway.