Video Game Market Analysis Thread

I know it’s physical. Physical is still a big deal in Japan so it does reflect the state of PS there. PS games also show up when they’re new. It’s common to see no PS games or only GT7 (the main bundle game they push in Japan) when no big PS game released in the last week. Even if you apply a number like 60% digital, PS5 Software sales in Japan are very abysmal…

Next week we’ll see Soul Hackers 2 and EDF6 chart for PS. Maybe Saints Row near the bottom of the chart, idk.

1 Like

I think the hardcore super-loyal PS fans would never make the jump to Xbox, but the casual community that primarily plays shooters and sports games with their friends might. A lot of longtime-harcore PS fans just seem incapable of seeing the merits of other consoles whereas the Nintendo fandom understands other consoles have way better third-party support and the Xbox fandom has come to recognize the positive qualities of PS exclusives during the previous gen.

Idk maybe I’m wrong, and Xbox would convince them with their new studios’ games. Although, I think it is pretty important that Perfect Dark and the Coalition’s non-Gears IP hits very hard to deflect the fanboy argument that “Xbox had to buy good exclusives” or “Xbox had to buy their way to relevance in the industry.”

Or maybe we can all just ignore the fanboys and enjoy good games regardless of how they were conceived under the Xbox banner?

3 Likes

Japanese users are playing PS games the least, stick to individual titles the longest, and buying physical copies the most

Basically, I said all this stuff before. Sony is just confirming it :v:

3 Likes

SE is probably regretting making FF16 and Forspoken playstation exclusive.

Nintendo are making a killing off such mediocirty its unreal. Only nintendo can get away with this. Crazy. But credit to them. They dont have other businesses like sony and ms. If their bang average spin offs and sport a games dont sell theyd be in trouble.

Ff16 will be out on pc fairly quickly and forspoken is pc day 1. Forspoken though will sell crap regardless. Ff16 will be the wordt selling ff game in japan week 1 but SE will try to say it sold well while throwing western devs under the bus.

1 Like

Why do you think there will be a quick PC release?

It is not the thread for the topic but I never understood the hate for the forespoken

The game looks fantastic to me. Good visuals and combat is fast with magical attacks

1 Like

Well, this is basically the results when Nintendo is the only one appealing to the Japanese market with appealing games and very good domestic marketing… Sony effectively pulled out of the region and Xbox was never a thing there.

PlayStation abandoning Japan will always leave me baffled. I don’t get why they thought "becoming more Western " had to = abandon Japan. It’s very possible to appeal to both.

except that everything looks boring

Yeah and I think, in my limited knowledge, that the company that maintained it’s roots and westernised quite well is Samsung. Their phones are synonymous with Android and their other products are amazing. All this success in the western sphere but they didn’t have to abandon Tizen and or their home market. Fricken BTS and Heung Min Son marketed them

1 Like

Fixed-point observation of hardware and software share by year | game sales (teitengame.com)]

2 Likes

I think originally it was a 6 month deal for pc and 12 months for other consoles. but SE will ask somy to change that. If not its going to be the worst selling FF game by far.

Might never come to xbox but ff16 has more chance to come to xbox than remake 7.

Did ps ever appeal to japan?? I mean they had niche studio games. Relied on 3rd party.

Copied from Community Thread:

Big weekly sales of Xbox Series X|S:

7 Likes

Note: The increased price for PS5 went to effect later of that week. Curious if that did push them to go Xbox or timing is coincidental.

3 Likes

Big bomb for Soul Hackers 2…

I guess we’ll find out what Atlus expected it to sell when we get the sellthrough rates when the top 30 is revealed.

I saw some nutty “theories” that if this game sells bad on Xbox then Atlus will never release an Xbox game again… It’s not selling that well anywhere lmao.

From InstallBase:

5 Likes

Since the moment Xbox won a couple of weeks in Japan, Sony never allowed that to happen again.

By December, the PS5 price increase will be in effect. I really hope MS takes advantage…

7 Likes