Video Game Market Analysis Thread

Yeah, I totally get the reasons, I just hadn’t looked at the actual numbers. Was thinking it would be more like 2/3 = games, 1/3 = add ons which would still be pretty significant.

1 Like

It is a common topic across all the medium.

Ummm…that’s a bogus statement from Andy Robinson. In the article from VGC it cites Sony’s comment:

“About a potential price increase for the PS5, at this point in time there is nothing specific I can share with you about prices”, came the response from executive deputy president and chief financial officer Hiroki Totoki (transcribed by VGC)."

Sure sounds like GT7 and HFW both got erased by the Elden Ring hype. Yikes.

2 Likes

“Nothing specific I can share” sounds pretty similar to not commenting to me? As would “we don’t comment on rumors” and other variants

2 Likes

Nobody is gonna say about not raising price because nobody knows for sure what might happen (let’s say some issues with shortage or some parts will suddenly become expensive)

1 Like

I don’t disagree, but my point is that Andy saying they declined to comment wasn’t wrong.

No, it’s not necessarily, Ubisoft for example had half as much from “Player Recurring Investment” as game sales.

I was more surprised to see the specifics here that they earned MORE from dlc sales on the platform than from game sales. Not that it was a large amount, but that it was more, when their games have tended towards being single player so presumably the majority of the dlc transactions are coming from 3rd party games plus whatever they sell as season passes for their own stuff.

Edit: Actually just reread ubisofts release and realized I was reading part of it wrong anf that dlc made up 53% for the quarter. So my example was wrong here. I’m still a bit surprised.

Ubisoft is a bad example, they have a problem with their revenue - it is very very small in comparison to their output and size. Look at revenue breakdown for EA for example.

The thing with MTX they people spend money while they are playing. A lot of sales are coming from the discounted games. So 10m copies can easily be - half of them with half price.

Normally if they say no comment that means the response to those asking is either to not reply or to literally just say “No comment”. It’d have been more accurate for Andy to say they aren’t able to rule it out presently or something.

1 Like

You say tomato, I say tomato. Or I would but I kinda hate tomatoes.

It’s not wrong, it’s just phrasing and how people interpret the same phrase differently. I don’t think his wording is unreasonable.

1 Like

Did I miss something? I thought gt7 was pretty well received?

Agressive MTX was disabled for review copies. Then they added that layer later. The actual game is fine. But the level of MTX and the way its done is pure horseshit.

very scummy. did the media just ignore it?

of course but they got stick for it…but little too late. But the game did suffer, sales slowed down and they had to bundle the game to shift more copies. GT is a flagship title for them. It should be selling a lot more than it is.

If I had to guess I’d say the first head to roll from this will be canceling the Gran Turismo movie they had planned.

The biggest implications of Horizion being a sales dud is that PlayStation has banked thier entire VR strategy on Horizon VR. There are some nervous boardroom meetings happening right now as the brand is much weaker than they anticipated.

1 Like

Knowing the Sony luck, if they ever released a GranTurismo movie, it would be the same week as a blockbuster Fast-n-Furios movie.

4 Likes

So with Sony IP struggling is it time to give me credit yet for calling this.

I get attacked far too often for speaking the truth here. :smile:

2 Likes

Both Horizon Forbidden West and GT7 are already more successful than Halo infinite and Forza which is crazy

Halo was 2nd in sales in December NPD but for some reason didn’t even chart in the top 20 of the year.

You look at Forza and Halo and and yet neither game finished above top 20 in NPD. Forza was literally ranked 20th and Halo was nowhere to be found after charting 2nd in December.

Meanwhile Miles was ranked 6th in its SECOND year on the market.

NPD June

• June Revenue: PS5, Switch, XBS
  • June Unit: Switch, PS5, XBS

Both Xbox Series S/X and Switch were ahead a month ago…for PS5 to surpass both in a single month, stock must’ve been huge in June!

They basically erased the Xbox Seres S/X lead from the first half of the year in a single month.

Yeah good news for Sony as the demand for the PS5 is still higher than the supply. And with God of War Ragnarök coming in November, they will need all those chips they can get.

Sony wasn’t kidding when talking about stock getting better…

Because of game-pass effect and it’s interesting that you didn’t mention it.

3 Likes

We can never establish that each platform has different path. People sure accept Netflix or Spotify over physical/digital single purchase, but gaming, impossible. It’s why Fortnite is successful right?

3 Likes