Video Game Market Analysis Thread

There’s a reason Sony expanded to the whole extra/essential system and it’s not just to compete with GP

If they cant get more subs they will try and get more money out of the ones that already do

Why would they do that though? That would be basically telling everyone to go buy an xbox instead, they’d never do that

6 Likes

I believe the stocks dropped by 2 in the pre market. Woof.

So HFW and GT7 were not major release? Are they AA games now🤣

3 Likes

They are called “bundle games”. Like there is “Game Pass fodder” now Sony has “bundle fodder” :joy:

8 Likes

Simulators don’t count as games :wink:

1 Like

You guys are making my Friday. Thanks for good laughs.

So it does seem like investors weren’t happy with today’s report. It dropped more than 2.

1 Like

Apparently first party only moved 6 million units this quarter. Does that count every first party title pr just for horizon/ gt7? Because if that includes bundles…it seems rather bad.

Also, lots of “downs” there…I wonder what people that looked the xbox results are thinking now? :nerd_face:

It’s every first party, old or new, this year or previous.

1 Like

Sony also benifted from a weak yen.

6.5m for GT7 and horizon combined? Thats awful. No wonder theyre bundling horizon and gt7 to boost sales

Having said that. GT7 deserves what it gets. Abaolute shitshow or a game(not the game itself just the whole MTX structure)

7 Likes

Nonono not only for horizon and gt7, but for all their first party sales during this quarter including (MLB ps versions also count here) bundles. So…yes, it doesn matter how you look at it, really bad numbers

5 Likes

I’m a PS5 owner that didn’t buy GT7 or Horizon Forbidden West. I also plan to let my PS+ subscription lapse at the end of the year.

I’m apparently your typical American gamer that just prefers his Xbox lol

To be fair to Sony I will preorder God of War and the PSVR2 so at least they have that to look forward to.

3 Likes

If all 2.4 Million PS5 sales were bundles, then every other first party sales would be down to 4 Million. Even if none of the sales were bundles, then its still at most 6.4 million across all titles. That’s rough when you don’t have a subscription service to offset or replace sales revenue.

As others have noted, that is exactly why they are moving more focus to GaaS and kind of starting to push their Subscription service.

3 Likes

I think it actually hides the figures(Sony said they benefited of the weaker yen) . I would guess that 70% of playstation’s sales are from the US and the EU

1 Like

1 Like

I think Xbox needs to have two or three people on their accounts for different timezones for the engagement

4 Likes

Oh show me you don’t know how a financial quarter report works without telling me. This is only sales data from April till June and Horizon was released in February. The quarter before this was had one of the highest first party sales of the last years, thanks to horizon and GT7.

the biggest time of sales for any game is always the first month. After that, they tend to drop off and sell a much lower, but consistent, rate. Considered there were no big releases in Q1, 6.4 million is actually pretty damn good.

So they completely stopped selling that title on April 1st? Yeah, No. Games still continue to sell long after their release date.

Even during their slowest quarters the prior year with nothing new being released they still had substantially more First Party Title sales numbers.

8 Likes

Yup, they did stop selling this year’s games that day. That’s the sales phenomenon known as April Fools. Also am I the only one blown away on how dlc and mtx seems to make them more money than actual game sales? I knew it was a lot, but sheesh.

1 Like

That’s why Sony is going all in on live service.

3 Likes