Video Game Market Analysis Thread

They always need specific content for the region, with western games only, which is the current trajectory, any significant growth in Asia is wishful thinking, the growth MS is reporting now in Asia is relative to the 0 of X1 generation, it’s obvious anything is better than that.

One of the problems in Japan is the lack of competition IMO. Sony isn’t fighting and has mostly given up on Japan since the PS3. That and they still stifle competition there from MS so they can maintain their position without really doing anything. Japan needs more competition where Sony, MS, and Nintendo are fighting and pumping more money into the industry.

I think MS can put a western focus there in Japan and maybe tap a new broader audience. Video games have become too much Otaku-bait and are probably scaring away more casual gamers because of that association.

Pretty interesting results. BF2042 could of been a juggernaut if it was a finished product. Miles Morales will probably end up in the top 10 of highest selling game of this generation if it continues to sell like this.

Forza Horizon is a blockbuster franchise !

The most striking thing is the number two game

Which is the previous year Call of duty

So even with a two year gap… A CoD will still be the most selling game of the year.

That being said, SM MM is selling well as the attached game to PS5… I bet anyone buying PS5 is playing that game first on the new console. Great launch for Sony

2 Likes

Impressed with the Forza Horizon franchise and even Halo Infinite tbh, even with the campaign available on Gamepass it still sold quite a well that it charted, I think it goes to show that people are interested in Halo campaigns, can’t wait for the DLC!

I think it’s because a lot of new console buyers bought COD: Cold War, the attach rate for that game on both Series and PS5 is likely very high in 2021.

Not that we’ve seen. We only know in the UK that ER sold 2.5x more than H:FW the week before and that H:FW sales plummeted by 80% for this week. Source of those statements are from Elden Ring is the biggest non-FIFA or Call of Duty launch since Red Dead Redemption 2 | UK Digital Charts | GamesIndustry.biz

Its sales are 2.5x that of last week’s big new release, PlayStation’s Horizon: Forbidden West.

The sucess of Elden Ring means that Horizon: Forbidden West slips to second place this week in the combine charts, with sales down 80%. In the digital charts, it falls to No.3 behind FIFA 22.

{ This post was from the Xbox Studios thread, but it’s more fitting in this thread }

1 Like

Japan weekly sales:

-Elden Ring is the best opening for a Souls game in Japan, and is the best selling PS5 SKU in the region, but sadly failed to meet that 100k threshold on PS5 people are waiting to see. It should easily hit it though, this should have good legs.

[PS4] Elden Ring ([FromSoftware], 02/25/22) – 188,490 (New)

[PS5] Elden Ring (FromSoftware, 02/25/22) – 90,017 (New)

-Atelier Sophie 2 seems to be a disappointing opening when compared to the previously released Atelier Ryza games, but overall is selling more or less the same as non-Ryza entries. Poor Sophie was mogged by Ryza’s thunder thighs.

[PS4] Atelier Sophie 2: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Dream ([Koei Tecmo Games], 02/24/22) – 22,104 (New)

[NSW] Atelier Sophie 2: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Dream (Koei Tecmo Games, 02/24/22) – 18,912 (New)

-Xbox Series S continues to sell well for an Xbox console in the region. It beating the PS5 digital there has become a regular trend. With Series X it is above 4k for the week.

PlayStation 5 – 15,418 (1,188,101)

Xbox Series S – 3,687 (72,136)

PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 1,614 (215,009)

Xbox Series X – 598 (84,927)

2 Likes

Isn’t usually Sony so eager to announce their sales figures like within the first 3 days, elden ring totally stole the show.

Yes they do and it is something Benji mentioned as well. He thinks it is because it did not sell over 3 million copies within the first couple of days.

I personally think that is slightly disappointing considering this is a sequel and available to more players compared to the first game. I think either people are holding off until they purchase a PS5, or they were holding off on Elden Ring. It is probably a mixture of both things.

3 Likes

The game lacks the mystery of the original. Still think it sells millions like.

In terms of the announced exclusives from MS, what do we think is going to be the best selling?

Starfield

It comes from the one of the most reputed Studio and Game

Has huge PC presence and Xbox equally

Although, it would be next gen only so that may reflect in its initial sales. But game will have legs and will sell a lot after the release window and year

Next in line could be fable and Indian Jones

Perfect Dark is a wildcard entry for me

Note: This doesn’t include CoD for obvious reasons. :joy:

3 Likes
2 Likes

I wonder why Greenberg decided to quote tweet vgcharts

Was there any other tweets out there suggesting Xbox Series consoles have sold better? I sort of doubt it. It doesn’t seem to be a popular notion to present. So perhaps it’s likely a take what you can to then pivot to your own message? Or maybe it’s to use them for their follows for wider visibility?

1 Like
3 Likes

I think Greenberg is seriously lowballing it.

2 Likes

This 26 is also MS earnings date.

1 Like

I’d take the informed market analysis estimates of an industry analyst over anything VGC says.

2 Likes