Video Game Market Analysis Thread

Isnt this the exact same building ?

6 Likes

Agreed. Part of me wonders if they’re holding off until they are fully firing on all cylinders. The 1-2 punch late last year that was Forza Horizon and Halo is hopefully a taste of what is to come, and once they start releasing top tier games at a steady clip, maybe they’ll also pull out the big advertising guns.

1 Like

Starfield should get a pretty nice marketing campaign

1 Like

I agree but I’d have they’d have advertised game pass in this way while the games were coming

Seems to be the same indeed

Really well done :+1:

1 Like

Haha
 It is

So Gears marketing is at Sony marketing level now?

Lol

1 Like

It does make me wonder if Microsoft does do a lot of advertising but the media and Xbox gamers just doesn’t give it as much attention as they do Sony. Like the murual in game for Forza Horizon 5 and it was recreated in the real world, the time Square advertising for infinite, and even the murual for Infinite that I remember seeing a video of it being done sped up. The Age of Empires advertising in times Square as well. But I don’t remember many people posting about any of that not even the media.

2 Likes

I think it’s a matter of scale. With PS it is everywhere at the same time, in different ways.

One platform is more popular than the other, so if course the advertising gets more attention.

I think Sony do put a lot more money into their advertising but that’s to be expected. Their budget is much larger thanks to larger revenue. After the AB acquisition that’s likely to change as the combined entities will likely generate around $30bn a year(that’s an estimate based on AB projecting $12bn for 2023 and Xbox showing around 10% growth in the next couple of years)

Post stolen from @Deus community post, about Series X|S sales over 150K in Japan.

3 Likes

I wonder if the Xbox series ends up outselling the 360 which sold like 1.6 million lifetime, with a few AAA Japanese exclusives and better 3rd party support I think they can do it but they need to fund a game from Fromsoft and also work with Platinum again or acquire them if it’s possible.

i think they can more than double the current xbox series sales by the end of he year.

With the current trajectory, they won’t. Xbox 360 had actual content for the region, Series consoles do not until now.

Yes i agree. but now they have Gamepass, Bethesda, ATVI, etc. i think they can.

a lot has changed since the days of the 360. we’ll see. :slightly_smiling_face:

That stuff will help sales in Japan (as it already has) but nowhere near to the extent of surpassing the 360. Western games are not all that big there
 Last week in Japan, Horizon Forbidden West and Touken Ranbu Musou released, Touken Ranbu sold more.

360 sold as well “as it did” (it’s sales are still poor when compared to competitor consoles) because it carved a niche for itself as an otaku box, with games like Idolm@ster (one of the highest selling 360 games in Japan), exclusive JRPGs, TONS of exclusive visual novels including really “high profile” stuff like Steins;Gate, becoming the home of shmup titles with again “high profile” stuff like CAVE’s games exclusively, and then being able to impressively keep up with getting many of the JP multiplats PS3 was getting (Series still has a LOT to do here).

Series Japanese exclusives still stand at
 0? As of this post (unless there’s something seriously under the radar I missed). Even Xbox One had a small couple by now in D4 and Crimson Dragon, and at least the announcement of Scalebound.

I predict perhaps 400k sales, maybe 500k.

We’re past MS caring about the actual console sales in the region anyway. When they advertised Game Pass during Tokyo Game Show they did it using Xcloud and made sure to say “You do not need an Xbox console to enjoy Game Pass.”, And when they do the Game Pass promos with Hololive they use PC Game Pass.

So IMO and probably to Microsoft too, getting good amounts of GP subs in Japan is much more important than selling a bunch of consoles there. To do this though, Game Pass still needs a lot of JP content, and that also includes stuff you can’t get anywhere else (so I mean Xbox exclusive)

My main issue with Xcloud and Japan though, is that games leave Game Pass and thus leave Xcloud. A good amount of JP games left Game Pass this month alone and nothing replaced that hole right away.

5 Likes

Consoles in general are a niche “Otaku” thing in Japan. It’s kinda looked down upon to be playing video games at home rather than doing something productive, well at least the “image” of it anyway. That is where the Switch and mobile comes in since it is something you own to play on public transportation or for productivity in the case of the phone wink wink. Essentially you need an excuse like Wii and Kinect “It’s for exercise!” to help sell to the casual crowd.

I think Xbox has a chance at a 1 million sales assuming console stocks return to normal and if MS does buy a significant Japanese developer/publisher. Honestly all it would take is one hit game to really take off there like that rumored Monster Hunter-like game.

1 Like

If they buy Sega, I can see it happening. It’s impressive that the demand is this high with no real Japanese games.

I wonder how how many units they would be able to sell weekly right now because the demand seems pretty high for an Xbox console currently but they are only selling between 3K to 6K depending on how many units they are able to send, maybe it’s wishful thinking but I think they will be closer to the 360 than the original Xbox at this rate.