VGC: A decade later, Ubisoft has finally greenlit a new Splinter Cell, sources claim [Remake Greenlit Confirmed]

Yeah I’m realizing this now. Snowdrop seems to be their next-gen engine. Could see it become their engine for most of their franchises. I imagine it will also involve ray tracing for the lights and shadows, because Avatar is said to be a ray tracing only game.

It made me think about that deal MS signed with Ubisoft, maybe for that remake ? Maybe I’m confused. I can’t find anything about that deal, so it was probably just a rumor. But I thought for sure it was something Splinter Cell.

There were rumors of Ubisoft+ or whatever their sub service is coming to gamepass like EA play, there was also the rumor of MS securing a big exclusive from a third party

But both are nothing more than rumors

1 Like

It was something like “a deal that made everyone happy” and I remembered seeing Ubisoft, but now, I’m not so sure. It was from a couple months ago. But yeah, it was probably from an insider, so hard to trace back.

As much as I treasure the Splinter Cell franchise, it’s hard for me to get excited about anything Ubusoft announces these days.

I’ll take the wait and see approach. Give me a proper remake without the Ubisoft open world, microtransactions or any mention of NFT’s please!

Straight up single player campaign.

God, FINALLY!

Cool, a new Splinter Cell. Finally!

oh, its not new only a remake.

meh

Remake could be a new game

Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

1 Like

Exciting stuff. Made in my hometown too. Maybe I’ll work on it. :man_shrugging:

Lack of platform has me “worried” though. Well, more so for the optics and browsing here. I have a PS5. But this seems like a prime Sony moneyhat to send a message.

Looking forward to eventually seeing this. Hoping the game gets sped up because 20+ years later, the original is just too damn slow, old and outdated. Very happy that it’s a remake as opposed to a remaster. Also hoping that there’s no “detected, start mission over” garbage. Will have to wait and see how this turns out.

1 Like

When was the last time Ubisoft gave someone an exclusive…2010, Microsoft, and they seem like they regretted. Mario and Rabbids doesn’t count.

Ubisoft are as multiplatform as it gets. They’ll support Stadia & Luna as well.

2 Likes

True enough. Although I can see them more risk averse here given the distance between this and the last Splinter Cell + linear (i.e. harder to monetize).

Oh they’ll find ways to monetize. And it won’t be an expensive game anyway I feel. It’ll also be something to gain some trust and appreciation from the community after so many letdowns and neglect.

1 Like

If the Splinter Cell remake is moneyhatted by Sony i won’t log in here for at least a week :homer:

1 Like

Ubisoft rarely does full exclusives and I don’t remember any timed exclusivity for either side over the last decade. Kingdom Battle/Sparks of Hope is using the Mario IP so of course, it would be Nintendo exclusive but other than that, all I can think of is Conviction which was a full console exclusive and the older Splinter Cell games which were all timed.

1 Like

Yeah. RE2R and FF7R are like some of the biggest games in recent memory for Capcom and SE respectively, it’s not surprising why we’re seeing more of them. If Ubisoft can pull it off well, they can bring in Splinter Cell fans, Metal Gear fans, in general they have potential to reinvigorate pure stealth as a genre viable for AAA.

Welp. There you go lol

2 Likes

I would like it if they just took the franchise and rebooted it. Remake the first game, but make it longer add more content and storyline. Just make an excellent single player game with levels large enough to give you multiple paths to success, but linear enough that the story has a clear progression. We don’t need any Gaas or multiplayer elements If they can make a great single player game then maybe after launch they can make a spy vs spy MP Gaas game to launch later, but first focus on the gameplay and the story.

1 Like