UPDATE: Ray tracing confirmed for The Medium

Yep this kind of knee jerk reaction is exactly what I’m talking about.

5 Likes

Looks like Xbox should be shut down right now! Maybe they should rebrand it to the TikTok Box 720

3 Likes

Yep, stupid things like this are used to push narratives and sew FUD across gaming sites. This isn’t 2013, Series X is by far the more powerful hardware ESPECIALLY when it comes to GPU features and performance. No one should be worried or concerned about that.

3 Likes

Is it ready though? I think that’s what people are asking. Perhaps Covid has impacted Xbox more than Sony? And that would make sense based on geography.

maybe, just maybe you should give these devs some slack? they are trying to make the launch date, under a pandemic.

4 Likes

Not only that the game is running 2 game instances surely RT would’ve been insanely power consuming if they needed to RT 2 games at once basically. It’s by a third party, it’s a launch title and this is the first time consoles have ever had RT so of course it’s going to be tricky for devs to get right. People need to remember RT is still fairly new and even PC games struggle with it. I don’t expect a game to fully utilise RT for a few years in its full power.

2 Likes

Maybe people should stop freaking out over a single website tag, it could be a simple typo by a web developer that hid the label.

3 Likes

We do have gameplay running on series X: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mfsR1fYxZY

About the topic: The top picture is a generic “optimized for series X” banner (the same text is being used on all websites), which does not require ray tracing to be used (hence, not being mentioned).

1 Like

Who is freaking out?

its not a knee jerk its just an observation, I hate how over defensive Xbox fans are nowadays relax bro.

I’m day one on the Series X, I’m also in marketing and if you are going to tout your product as being able to do XYZ you better make sure you deliver is all.

I hope they get it together.

#1. Be respectful to each other. It’s cool to have different reactions to the news.

#2. I personally feel like it’s best to wait for the full story and more context before reacting too strongly either way. There has to be a good reason ray tracing isn’t available in Halo day 1 but will be coming later as well. Devs may simply need more time with the hardware to get it right.

5 Likes

I’m on the bandwagon that the developers need more time for ray tracing. This is a new technology that they need to learn how to leverage correctly. It isn’t something that you can just flip the Ray Tracing switch to “On”. It has ramifications on performance. It is one of the reason I think the native resolution is dead. I think we are going to see more games running at 1800p with up scaling and ray tracing. However that is a topic for another day.

1 Like

The fact that the consoles are even RT capable is a miracle. Should bode well for adoption in more games going forward.

3 Likes

The problem being that ray tracing is one of those buzzword new features for the next gen. If Spider-Man is using some RT features in the launch game on PS5 it’s a bad look of the SX has had to delay RTX. There were rumours a while back about SX dev tools and kits being behind Sony…I thought it was the usual bashing Xbox nonsense…but I wonder if there was something in it…

The raytracing API isn’t new, that is part of DirectX 12 since the end of 2018. AMDs implementation is new and may be a reason for some troubles. But this is all speculation, so a bit pointless.

2 Likes

I think you’re right. I think all gamers expectations need to be modified for the launch due to the combination of the pandemic in addition to the fact that much of the benefit around these consoles is their new features. New features take time for devs to really understand and leverage efficiently. DX12U was just updated. UE5 isn’t ready until next year. I think there’s a lot more variables for devs to juggle than this gen when they came into what amounted to mid range PCs with mature tools.

1 Like

I’m just amazed something as benign as a secondary feature tag on a single website could cause any type of concern or conclusions like said here and a couple of other places. It is quite amazing how quick some are to jump on certain narratives. We’d all do a little better to not jump to such conclusions

Understatement of the year haha, I think people are forgetting we’re in the middle of a pandemic during a brand new console cycle with all new tech and new features that haven’t been done before on console. I’m not making excuses but cmon give the devs some slack just this once, if this was during normal times I’d be more in agreement somewhat but the world is in a crazy place.

They can always do a RT update down the track anyway, also if they’re having trouble with dev would you rather the game to launch in a really bad state but with RT or it to launch in a better state minus RT, I know what I’d like. Not saying it’s going to launch in a better state now but who knows!

<3 to all the devs out there making games for us in these times.

1 Like

I think this alot to do about nothing. People are scowering for information on anything next gen.

1 Like

The leaked GDK said the performance was not the expected for raytracing yet, and some of them would only come after launch.

But I assumed that the XDK was more advanced and would be close to final already.