[Update: Officially announced] XBL Gold is being replaced with Game Pass Core; same price, 25+ games instead of monthly games

It’s kinda weird from a branding perspective, but I understand them not basically turning console Game Pass into what many of us pay Ultimate prices for.

2 Likes

So does Ultimate include all the stuff that comes with core like it included live previously?

Adding online to console Game Pass =

• Losing many Game Pass Ultimate subscribers.

or …

• Raising console Game Pass price to or near current GPU pricing.

Tough choices.

1 Like

I would assume the 25 games are a subset of the Game Pass library

3 Likes

Do I have to pay for multiplayer if I pay for Ultimate?

Yes. Effectively the only change is the name at the bottom tier and 25 games instead of 2 monthly games.

No, it’s included.

1 Like

No. Nothing above gold changes.

1 Like

I hope they have a discounted annual sub option

1 Like

TLDR, Gold is renamed, Gwg dead and we get a subset of gamepass instead. plus discounts on those games.

1 Like

Also, this is a step in a direction of making online free on console without losing gold subs imo. Or rather minimizing subs that could be lost.

5 Likes

Thanks!!

they should bring yearly periods to gamepass (core to ultimate)

Advertising and messeging could be tricky now.

Which Game Pass will Xbox be mainly promoting now? Console or Core?

They always advertise the huge Game Pass library, and they should, but that won’t apply to Core. So you don’t want to end with “Game Pass, starting $9.99” when that starting option doesn’t carry the expected benefits.

Also, will Core affect Console GP growth negatively? (people subscribing to Core instead of regular).

If yes, is that good or bad? (for MS, developers, gamers)

So for someone on Ultimate allready this means:

• No more Games with Gold.
  • Higher price

Pfft.

1 Like

You already had the higher price. So only difference is no more GwG.

That price is pretty new, like next month. I would say these changes are close enough.

And that you get to keep however many games you redeemed with Gold if your sub lapses.

Which for me would be close to 200 games.

4 Likes

It went into effect on July 7th.