[Update: Officially announced] XBL Gold is being replaced with Game Pass Core; same price, 25+ games instead of monthly games

Today, we’re continuing our commitment to give players more choice and value by introducing Xbox Game Pass Core , launching on September 14. Game Pass Core is the evolution of Xbox Live Gold. Game Pass Core will give players access to our advanced multiplayer network, a select collection of over 25 games to play with friends around the world, and exclusive member deals, all for $9.99 USD per month or $59.99 USD per year.

For over twenty years, Xbox players have been connecting via Xbox Live to compete, cooperate, and experience the world’s biggest online multiplayer games. In 2017, we introduced Xbox Game Pass which provided a curated library of games. Game Pass Core brings online play together with Game Pass in a new offering for gamers around the world.

With this evolution, we’re saying farewell to Games with Gold. We wanted to use this opportunity to re-imagine how to include content with this subscription. We found that the answer to the most compelling catalog was to leverage select titles from our Xbox Game Pass catalog.

Our launch collection of more than 25 titles from Xbox Game Studios, Bethesda, and our content partners will offer something for everyone to play on their Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One consoles. Today we’re confirming the following titles for launch*, with more to be announced in advance of September 14. New titles will be added 2-3 times a year.

First batch of games:

• Among Us
  • Descenders
  • Dishonored 2
  • Doom Eternal
  • Fable Anniversary
  • Fallout 4
  • Fallout 76
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • Gears 5
  • Grounded
  • Halo 5: Guardians
  • Halo Wars 2
  • Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice
  • Human Fall Flat
  • Inside
  • Ori & The Will of the Wisps
  • Psychonauts 2
  • State of Decay 2
  • The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited

On September 14, Xbox Live Gold members will automatically become Game Pass Core members, with no change in pricing, and have immediate access to a new library of over 25 high-quality games.

• Member deals & discounts will also be part of Xbox Game Pass Core.
  • Games with Gold will come to an end on September 1.
  • Players can continue to access any Xbox One games they previously redeemed through Games with Gold if they remain a Game Pass Core or Game Pass Ultimate member.
  • Regardless of subscription status, any Xbox 360 titles redeemed via Games with Gold in the past will be kept in a player’s library.
12 Likes

This is pretty genius IMO

• They can combine golds install base with gamepass. 50 million is closer than ever!
  • It’s better then PS+ lowest tier.
  • It conditions gamers to subscriptions (for good or bad)
  • Its smart to do this before Starfield, give them a cheap upgrade path to ultimate and they ain’t leaving for a while.
  • After a few years, get it to 100+ games you can drop the online element and you just have Gamepass in 3 tiers
6 Likes

What happened to the previous Games For Gold that was given out for free? Is it still part of your library?

3 Likes

The only concern i have is what happens to the library of games we’ve collected over the years will they default to our libraries or will they take them away?

1 Like

Agreed, and I’d imagine when ABK goes through they’ll have a few ABK games included as well, including CoD (an older title perhaps).

I wonder if Jez was alluding to this when he sent this tweet even though he immediately played stupid, lol:

https://twitter.com/JezCorden/status/1680668177590636548?t=rNhzkuhV6gvvgDSeUo0ufw&s=19

2 Likes

It says you will own them. You could unsubscribe and you will still own them.

7 Likes

Updated OP with info. Apprantely all the GWG we’ve redeemed over the years will stay in our account.

Sounds great!

10 Likes

My nephew has gold and has always wanted to try Ori. Now he can. To all the console warriors, how is this bad for consumers?

1 Like

(reposting from the other thread)

I like that.

They can’t cancel Gold and risk losing millions of paying subscribers, and they can’t move them to regular Game Pass and lose them what they are paying Gold for, and they can’t add GPU’s most differentiating feature to console’s Game Pass and lose GPU subscribers.

A new lighter Game Pass with Gold’s main feature is a good compromise.

Also, a good thing that the entry Game Pass now has online multi-player.

On the other hand, I guess there’ll be confusion regarding upgrades to Game Pass. You can’t upgrade and lose features, so you have to upgrade to GPU. I don’t know if they’ll try to deal with that.

I still believe that Gold/online paywall should be eliminated. PC online is free and yet, you have to pay to play online multi-player? And I just noticed that PC Game Pass gets EA Play for $10 but on Xbox consoles, I have to pay $17 a month? Come on man. I’m sorry but Microsoft continues to favor PC over and over compared to console owners such as myself. I honestly don’t like this change at all and don’t see it as any better than what it was before because you’re still paying for online multi-player.

3 Likes

Nothing changes for me yet. I have GPU until 2025, when that year rolls around, we’ll get to it.

3 Likes

I just bought Gold as a gift for my nephew. With 25+ games catalog, he doesn’t have to buy any games this year. He living good now.

4 Likes

It’s not about favoring, it’s basic economics.

No one on PC will pay for online multi-player, so it’s not there.

Tens of millions of people are paying subscribers for it on console, every company on earth dream of such revenue stream. No one will cancel that just because people on some other platforms don’t pay for it.

4 Likes

Give me an annual Gamepass Ultimate Sub option you cowards!!! :smile:

6 Likes

The reason why I believe that Microsoft should eliminate the online paywall is because they support cross-platform play with all of their games and one purchase gives you both PC and console. But that’s just me. I also think that eliminating the paywall now that they’ll have COD will entice many people to jump to Xbox or guarantee that they buy an Xbox for their online multi-player games. Oh well, it is what it is.

1 Like

It seems odd to me that the regular GP tier doesn’t include multiplayer.

It seems like it would make more sense, if you are going to change things, to make each tier build on the previous tier.

3 Likes

well, if you’re not going to get rid of gold, giving more value to the service is the next best thing.

1 Like

Yep. Basically, if you want both, you have to subscribe to Ultimate for $17.

2 Likes

I’d like to take this moment and voice my approval to the removal of Games with Gold. No longer will I have to see people complaining about the quality of those games even when they know they’re going to be bad. :smile:

6 Likes

I agree. The paywall has to go. The thing is…presumably, there are something like 10-15m Gold subscribers still remaining…and none of them went for the $1 upgrade path. This kind of forces them into it. That is a very important psychological step.

1 Like