UPDATE: FALSE FLAG! Entire Xbox 360 marketplace might be closed by May 2023

Better start buying up those 1,892 Rock Band songs if you want them on the 360.

1 Like

No offense, but if you’re going to post for the first time for over a year you should at least have a bit more reading comprehension. I stated why I mentioned potentially 2025, literally immediately after. I don’t know why you use the term “fake” here.

For more context, Sony are most likely going to re-introduce their PS3 closeout date sometime this year or the next, going by their communications. Ditto with Nintendo and the 3DS (March 2023).

If you think the OG Xbox 360 marketplace is going to be up forever, especially with most titles being able to be played/downloaded with BC on newer consoles (unlike Sony/Nintendo), then I’ve got a bridge to sell you.

TL;DR: If you really want to own non-BC titles and still haven’t pushed the trigger to scoop up the few that you want by the year 2025, two decades after the marketplace launched, then you really can’t complain if Microsoft decides to sunset the old marketplace sometime on or after the 20 year mark.

3 Likes

you didn’t answer the question, why did u make up the 2025 date?

1 Like

I don’t see why MS would take such a boneheaded decision given the amounts of work that have gone into their BC catalogue, so I’m glad this isn’t actually the case.

Haha for real? I mean, 2025 being the 20 year anniversary doesn’t mean that’s when it’s closing? Seems like a reach on your part, to say the least. Also if someone doesn’t believe your pulled out of thin air date of 2025, they must think the OG marketplace will be up forever? Come on, do better.

This type of seething over me mentioning a hypothetical year for Microsoft to sunset the OG marketplace (which is happening eventually, whether you like it or not) is hilarious to watch, because:

• I never said 2025 to be some definitive date, just my opinion, and gave reasoning. When this was still a rumor, many on forums assumed it was actually happening due to the specificity of it being on an official MS website and many, including myself, hoped that MS would recieve backlash like Sony did and at least postpone it a few years

• The consensus around the internet, from popular Xbox podcasts to gaming forums, is that this message is too specifically written by Microsoft to be an error. Even gaming media websites are mentioning this:

Though reassuring, it still makes one wonder why such a message was even written to be accidentally posted in the first place. There has been some conjecture that the actual mistake was the year in the message, which many think was meant to say May 2024. Upon seeing the intense backlash at the idea of the Xbox 360 marketplace closing, however, some people think Microsoft walked back the idea entirely. Gamerant

Regardless, it’s a pretty intriguing error to make, given the definitiveness of the message, complete with a timeframe. Destructoid

That said, the delisting of 40-something games and items of DLC from the Xbox 360 Marketplace isn’t exactly a positive thing, and could indeed be the first signs that the console’s store could be due to close down in the near future. XboxAchievements

That still is a strange message to post on the official support website, especially in error. While it’s great that the Xbox 360 marketplace isn’t going anywhere, the fact that this copy was even produced suggests that the shutdown may have been on the cards at one point. Gamepur

I’m sorry if you lack reading comprehension and are getting triggered by my 2025 guesstimate, so if it makes you feel better, I concur with the common consensus that Microsoft might be sunsetting the OG 360 marketplace in several years. My reasoning had already been stated, thoroughly, in my previous post.

You’re free to have your own opinion, but it’s really not that deep.

1 Like

*sigh* I got bullied into buying games I will likely never play. Picked up Jet Set Radio, The Orange Box and Mutant Blobs Attack (not upset about this one because I fucking love it and will definitely play it again).

1 Like

Same here with Counter Strike: Global Offensive. It sucks that the game is being removed today and is BC but only available on the 360 marketplace.

I’m going to be honest. Your attitude is pretty out of line based on my response and I find it pretty rude. Absolutely uncalled for and off-putting. I’ll go have a conversation with someone else, I think.

That’s fine.

Me saying you lack reading comprehension (and again, explaining in detail which you conveniently ignored) is rude, uncalled for and off-putting meanwhile you’re the one instigating telling me “come on, do better” because of a common, uncontroversial opinion?

1 Like

I just grabbed Jet Set. Tempted for Orange Box, but I own the disc and…$20 is a bit steep. Hoping there’s a sale before the delist…may have to just bite the bullet. Never heard of Mutant Blobs, need to look into it.

Funny how every time there is backlash to something released, it’s always posted in error. These types of moves generally go through multiple people before being made public.

100%!! Love that I can play Jet Set Radio and Daytona on my Xbox.

1 Like

You reckon it’s a trial balloon? In my experience, people are just that dumb…