UE5 features overview presentation (first SeriesX footage!)

Forgive the low quality pics.

Interesting PC requirements, seems like they are using very large amounts of RAM instead of SSDs. Its also good both next gen machines are running the game at full speed.

Valley of the Ancient is a separate download of around 100 GB. If you want to run the full demo, the minimum system requirements are an NVIDIA GTX 1080 or AMD RX Vega 64 graphics card or higher, with 8 GB of VRAM and 32 GB of system RAM. For 30 FPS, we recommend a 12-core CPU at 3.4 GHz, with an NVIDIA RTX 2080 or AMD Radeon 5700 XT graphics card or higher, and 64 GB of system RAM. We have successfully run the demo on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X consoles at full performance.

8 Likes

Very interesting. So no SSD speed requirements? Then why did these fangirls yelled at me for over a year about this?

6 Likes

Looks amazing, but kinda continue to be disappointed they’ve not made any strides in showcasing vegetation tech improvements for UE5 which was a highlighted point in one of the presentations they had. There’s a reason why all these demos are set in desert environments, cuz there’s very little need for showcasing vegetation tech in them, so it’s just pretty lighting against pretty rocks.

I wanna see this in something like an Uncharted or a Tomb Raider forest level setting to know how it manages that side of the rendering pipeline, because transparency and overdraw is still one of the biggest overheads in rasterization rendering and are a real problem that needs to be solved going into current gen.

6 Likes

Because it’s the only thing their system is better at so they needed justification.

3 Likes

That was exactly what came to my mind when I watched it, only vegetation in that video was the little shrubs. That demo was mostly megascans but it still looks mind blowing.

1 Like

I understand these requirements are for running the demo on a development environment, but not the final build to be distributed to end-users. I don’t think PC builds will target 64 gb RAM in the foreseable future.

2 Likes

I don’t understand the PC requirements. 12 core CPU and 2080 for 30 fps and they say the consoles can run it at full performance, unless they consoles run at lower resolution esp. the PS5 it looks a little off.

Forsaken confirmed for Xbox!

not for another decade easily. Growth in RAM has been abysmal the past two generations, and it’s not gotten a significant enough leap this gen either.

1 Like

Thanks for posting (: These are phenomenal.

1 Like

Those “SSDers” are like the flatearthers.

2 Likes
2 Likes

From my understanding nanite works on static things, however that robot is using nanite because its armour are several different pieces, or something like that. So vegitation should be possible, maybe plants and trees blowing the wind could be problematic, but i doubt it will effect the scene that much because most vegitation is static and unreal has techs that can be used for swaying plants and trees.

1 Like

Thanks for this information.

1 Like

the problem with vegetation isn’t geometry at all, it’s transparency and more importantly, overlaps of transparent regions when a lot of them are bunched up together which is expected to happen in a lot of foliage and anything dense vegetation wise. There’s a lot of “overdraw” that results from these overlapping transparencies which causes unoptimal amounts of rendering overhead. That’s something that needs to get solved. It’s a problem perhaps more fundamental to rasterization itself, so I don’t know if the goal is to look outside rasterization for a solution or find ways to evolve the raster model to work better with transparencies in vegetation. I think we might indeed hear more about this from Epic over the next year or so, because it was a limitation they highlighted in their presentation, something they do intend to tackle and solve.

We already knew it would run on last gen systems…

Yes, little twigs and leaves do overlap unlike little stones and dust in the ue5 stuff we have seen so far. However if they solve the overlapping problem more twigs,leaves, grains of dirt etc will always make a scene more realistic. In vegitation tech demos we have seen in the past more Geometry and micro geomentry has been a key improvement.

1 Like
2 Likes

:chief_think:

Thats nearly a year old. Its all been pretty much debunked, no doubt the PS5 SSD and io system is the best in a console but xbox have there own unique things like hardware based SFS. I dont know of the PS5s SSD system will produce and improvements over the SeriesX/PC ssd systems, but it wont for multiplatform games as games have to be developed for all the platforms anyway.

Apparently rachet and clank is using the PS5s SSD and this UE5 demo shits all over rift apart.

++++++++++++++

Edit I think you might be being sarcastic, forget about this post if you are.