UE5 features overview presentation (first SeriesX footage!)

I bet even UE5 couldn’t handle the magical PS5 SSD.

1 Like

I sure hope Epic can get the engine to produce visuals like that at 60fps, which they say they are striving to do. I would be hesitatant to sacrifice 60fps no matter how pretty it looks.

1 Like

If that is possible, it would be hella impressive.

It would be, hence why I said I hope they can pull it off because if they do we are in for a treat this gen.

Of course you said what you said because you mean it, I dont know why you’re reiterating it?

Even I am not sure, sorry lol. I think I am just excited and hoping Epic can pull it off.

I am surprised their lumen system is software based though. I can understand that it is less taxing than triangle ray tracing, but I would imagine it is still costly for GPUs and probably a big reason why the demo is 30fps atm on consoles.

Yeah no worries, I agree with you, im hyped to.

1 Like

Today i learned ‘we’ are not a lot enough people :cry:

Should be possible. They talked last year about some performance numbers and Nanite was only around 4ms of the GPU time. And for Lumen lighting they can hopefully use some of the hardware raytracing acceleration inside the new consoles.

2 Likes

I believe that’s what Alex said he hopes Epic enables the engine for developers to be able to use hw ray tracing instead of the software based ray tracing. I have to imagine that would significantly speed things up.

3 Likes

The coalition will make the engine sing. Can’t wait.

3 Likes

Im really hyped for what gears6 , star wars fallen order 2 will look like with this tech.

1 Like

We know why :slight_smile:

But also both Sony and Ms made the point that the invested in IO tech so they don’t need to spend on more memory as that is costlier overtime. And looking at the requirements for the demo I’d say that’s very true.

3 Likes

I do not understand the discussion or bringing up about the PS5 SSD.

I think it is more important that the potential of UE5 might be better perform on a Xbox Series compared to a PS5 just because of the features that are unique to the console: SFS, VRS and Mesh Shaders are a perfect fit for most subsystems that were shown in the UE5 demo video. At least that is my hope that Epic will invest some optimization into those DX12 Ultimate / RDNA2 features, so devs get the best performance out of the engine when developing on a Xbox.

1 Like

Yep, from what I’ve read and come across, it’s using a software based solution that’s gaining popularity in rendering these days and that’s something called Signed Distance Fields. The Media Molecule Dreams engine uses it, Godot engine has extensively worked on it and has made some innovations on that front and Lumen seems to be using a form of it hybrid with height fields and voxels, and perhaps something proprietary.

I suggest people read this, it’s really fascinating and gives a glimpse into how non RT realtime GI can be approached for games in the coming generation.

2 Likes

It’s to cover the overhead of loading into ram and then loading from ram to vram on PC. On the consoles, ram is vram so there is no double handling.

It doesn’t require or use that much on PC outside the dev environment, how an actual game would run it. It’s somewhere around 6-7 GB VRAM and 3-5GB System RAM for native 4K. Reference: Clukos @ B3D Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05] | Page 91 | Beyond3D Forum

6-7 GB VRAM / 3-5 gb RAM at native 4K

Also, video comparing NVME to physical hard drive @ 125 MB/s transition speed from LordVulkan @ B3D. Of note is that the PC demo does not have DirectStorage API / Velocity Architecture to use, which should improve things further for the NVME once it’s available.

2 Likes

With UE4 they allowed anyone to fork the code to edit the engine and Microsoft did it to create a fork that supported UWP app development (Epic didn’t want to support UWP).

So here’s hoping that in the same manner MS gets their best engineers on it. As mentioned many times Epic has created software solutions here, probably to be able to hit many different target platforms that don’t have dedicated functions in hardware.

It would be obviously beneficial to Epic as well because taking advantage of DirectStorage, SF, and mesh shaders benefits every DX12U card out there (which is pretty much every decent card sold from here on out).

Another video showing in Editor memory usage of the demo. Memory usage will be less when run outside the editor.

1 Like

It’s almost like the hardware and software was designed in conjunction between Ms, AMD, Nvidia and Epic :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

SFS will eat that memory usage for breakfast.

1 Like