Ubisoft Massive to make a new open world Star Wars game

I guess I’m personally disappointed that single player games such as the one involving Amy Hennig were canned. There’s a place for the Battlefront’s of the world (and I had fun with them) but they dropped the ball in telling true single player Star Wars stories outside of Fallen Order.

There is so much potential. So many stories they could tell or worlds they could help gamers explore but EA did not deliver in that department.

The one from Amy Hennig was canned because Publishers see little value + too much risk in a 6-8 hour game with limited replayability which in turn spanned the “EA wants to kill singleplayer” nonsense. Tell a gamer to drop $60-70 dollars and it has no online or open world and they will faint.

Don’t remember the last story only game that dropped that was like that besides A Plague Tale.

Obviously this means Playground games will make a brand new Pod racing game!

1 Like

EA bet against single player games and then Fallen Order went on to be the second best selling game of last year.

With respect to Hennig’s project, I don’t remember hearing or seeing any concrete details beyond the small teaser we got. But based on her pedigree in the industry and other titles she’s worked on, I highly doubt it would have been a short 6 - 8 hour experience. That’s more in line with the single player in Battlefront 2 which to me felt like a tacked on after thought.

EA bet against single player games and then Fallen Order went on to be the second best selling game of last year.

EA has bet so much against singleplayer games that they let Respawn do Fallen Order however they wanted without Frostbite and greenlit the sequel. They also want to kill singleplayer so much that they are funding (the much deserved and panned) Bioware team singleplayer endeavors in Dragon Age and Mass Effect after the last 2 games they have dropped.

With respect to Hennig’s project, I don’t remember hearing or seeing any concrete details beyond the small teaser we got. But based on her pedigree in the industry and other titles she’s worked on, I highly doubt it would have been a short 6 - 8 hour experience. That’s more in line with the single player in Battlefront 2 which to me felt like a tacked on after thought.

What this means in practice is that the sort of game that the original Uncharted was can’t exist today. The first Uncharted was a short, single-player-only game with a story campaign. Once you finished the story, there wasn’t much else there for you.

“Now you have to have a lot of hours of gameplay. Eight would never cut it. Usually some sort of online mode. And of course you see where things are pushing, toward live services and battle royale and games as a service,” she explained.

2 Likes

Hey what happened to their Avatar game

Bottom line for me: I am happy it’s not just EA making Star Wars games anymore.

I think that it’s because of Fallen Order’s success that they are opening up to more single player experiences. With Fallen Order’s sales as a single player story driven game and the bomb that was Anthem, it’s no wonder that they are letting Bioware get to work at a proper Dragon Age and Mass Effect RPG.

But before Fallen Order, what did we have? Multiplayer focused, games as a service and predatory monetization models. Battlefront 2 launched to a ton of criticism with their loot box model.

Bioware has been struggling with their identity since being acquired by EA.

Visceral games shut down.

Again - I’m just happy Star Wars is open to other developers out there. I see the potential for more creative and unique experiences.

1 Like

Bioware struggling for identity cause they have a shitshow for management. Anthem was a colossal failure ON Bioware and EA is letting them fix that mess while also letting them do 2 other games.

I liked Andromeda and wish EA didnt pull plug on dlc for it but this was Bioware treating it like a second rate IP and having a B-C studio try to make something in 18 months.

1 Like

This is awesome news for me as I love Ubisoft!!!

UBI!!!

Open World Star Wars game…okay. Let’s go!!!

Ubisoft just needs to EXPAND Massive so they can work on this game, Avatar and The Division 3. Teehee.

We’re in for one hell of an amazing generation of gaming!!! Whoooo!!!

3 Likes

I’m still pining for that cancelled open world game developed by Visceral. :frowning:

Making games is hard before covid so imagine now. EA put out 4 games in 8 years and all 4 have been hits so idk what more yall want.

Cancelled the Amy Henning game quite simply because 6-8 hour only game at $60 doesnt appeal to consumers or publishers nowadays and the Visceral game was more behind and in a worse state than Fallen Order.

I want to see a Japanese studio do a Star Wars game. Imagine a Platinum games or From Software take on Star Wars.

1 Like

Platinum Games with Star Wars sounds like a dream. Would be an instant buy for me.

2 Likes

My prediction is that hardcore forum types will dislike the Ubi open world Star Wars game, but it will be insanely successful and loved by the masses and I expect to love it myself.

2 Likes

I just need more Battlefront, so I’m glad today’s news leaves open that possibility.

1 Like

Battlefront will probably continue to exist even after 2023 EA deal is done. There’s no reason why EA can’t continue to work on Star Wars games.

As a Lucas IP fan these last 24 hours have been amazing.

SiDENOTE: Bethesda or Obsidian should totally do a new KotOR (even though, really, I would prefer Bioware, they are busy)

2 Likes

I’d imagine Microsoft is still trying to secure an exclusive to the level of Spiderman PS4. That’d be a huge get.

1 Like

Just hopefully not too repetitive like Assassins Creed and Far Cry.

1 Like

Its The Division team.

1 Like