Ubisoft has delayed Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora to 2023/2024 | VGC

Oh did they? Was thinking it was a rumor.

Yeah, it was announced late last year.

1 Like

Not cancelled because funded by MSFT, got it lol

That sucks, 2022 has been a huge delay. Hope games scheduled for 2023 actually come out

1 Like

Was hoping for Avatar to get delayed out of 2022 so this works out perfectly for me. Was hoping to see gameplay at the Ubisoft showcase in September but seems like that’s unlikely at this point. Oh well.

Haven’t seen any Gameplay at all. hopefully the game will be better than the Movie

Just saw your post Staffy.

While I was looking forward to Avatar, I was also hoping for a delay as I have a few too many games between September and December so I needed to cut down my list and delays would really be the only way for me to do so.

Avatar being delayed out of 2022 along with me passing on TLOUP1 has actually helped me finalize my 2022 ten game list so im actually very happy. Plus, I know Avatar is going to look amazing but I really want the combat and gameplay to be really good especially since it’s going to be a platform/live service game so it getting delayed is fine by me.

1 Like

I was hoping this game would be a killer app for PlayStation VR2. It was never announced for VR or anything but it just seemed like it would be a cool thing to walk around Pandora in VR.

So Ubisoft also canceled Splinter Cell VR.

Is PSVR2 dead on arrival? I’m still planning to preorder it but I’m starting to have doubts given Sonys track record with killing the Vita the way it did. And maybe the writing is on the wall with Ubisofts VR cancellations.

Seems like quite the leap. Maybe they just cancelled some games that they could only sell to a limited audience and expected less of a return on?

1 Like

Its so niche its not going to be dead. People will buy it but dont know why any 3rd parties will make big budget vr only games. Even the horizon one looks like a rail shooter.

1 Like

The dream of VR isn’t big budget vr only games. The dream is big budget AAA games with a vr mode when it makes sense. A VR mode where I get to walk around Pandora makes sense to me. Otherwise what is even the point of vr on next generation consoles?

1 Like

What is even the point of VR on current generation consoles (PSVR 2) if it doesnt play the existing VR titles from last-gen (PSVR 1)?

2 Likes

Yeah I agree that just tells me that the PS6 won’t support PS5 games. The PlayStation and Nintendo ecosystems are a total cluster f-.

As for VR2 on PS5. I think we should demand support for AAA like Avatar. Otherwise what’s the point.

1 Like

I think it’s more that VR is very immature technology and control methods and sensors are changing. As it matures, there won’t be as much change from generation to generation and compatibility becomes a given.

1 Like

True. I think with compatibility backwards and forwards Xbox and Steam have that built into their ethos. PlayStation lacks that kind of confidence unfortunately. It’s possible the variable clocks on PS5 make it difficult for PS6 to maintain compatibility. I think it’s perfectly plausible that the PS6 starts from scratch. The PlayStation controller is becoming bloated with underused features that it makes sense to just cut ties with the PS5 next generation similar to what PSVR2 is doing.

Sorry to get so hung up on the Sony angle of Avatar being delayed. It’s just to me this stood the chance of putting AAA vr games into the mainstream and I wanted to live in Pandora through this game and PSVR2. It seems Ubisoft is getting cold feet.

1 Like

I’m just glad that Phil & co greenlit the back compat last generation, or we would be in the same place. That was such a good move, even though it may not have seemed like it would make them much money.

2 Likes