Tom Warren: XSS GPU to be 20CU running at 1.55Ghz ≈ 3.97TF

I have the feeling we will be surprised by the XSS.

No issues here. Good enough to run nextgen games at 1080p with the same effects and bang for the buck. Just not more than 1080p and the same frame rate as its big brother

That’s not how it works. If a game expects X amount of RAM to be available, it needs that amount. Many games have high quality texture patches for the 1X, that uses the extra RAM it had (like Rise of the Tomb Raider, Shadow of War, etc).

I am genuinely trying to comprehend your reasoning here. The SX will be the strongest visually, because it has cores dedicated for RTX. And it can probably do the UE5 demo at something like 1800p at 30fps or 1440p at close to 60fps. The PS5 did 1440p at 30fps. The SS is considerably weaker than the PS5, so probably around 1080p at 30fps, and that isn’t guaranteed - we always stress TFLOPs here, and the box is just plain weak in comparison to everything else by a factor of more than 1.5. It also has no dedicated cores for visual effect so all capabilities like RTX would have to be in software.

So, for cross generation it might surprise. It will really struggle with next-generation games on UE5 to do anything over 1080p. And RTX is a dream for that box …

4tf with that new tech is way better than 6 tf old tech by a mile

I guess we will see then, I’m no technical guy but I’m pretty sure the tech guys at MS know pretty much how things work there, much better than you and me.

FWIW

something I posted on ResetEra and Twitter a long time ago. Still the same opinion about it to this day:

5 Likes

Yes casuals will be utterly bewildered as they are with the current base consoles and mid gens, I show my casual friends 1x and pro gameplay and they can not tell the difference at all.

1 Like

Great next gen console for 1080p/60fps.

A friend of mine owns the X1S and believes its a 4k gaming box, doesn’t think the X1X is any different.

If casuals connect it to a 4k tv then they’ll think it’s 4k gaming regardless.

1 Like

A game does have a minimum ram requirement i never said it doesn’t. Any game has a minimum requirement for most specs such as I/O, CPU clock speed, gpu clock speed, etc. However, having 10 gb of Ram would not make an Xbox game not playable on the series S but playable on the series X which was the spirit of the original question.

Could a game be made not to run on a series s yes, but Microsoft would never allow that.

I think we will see higher then 1080p quite often.

Although this video is not representative of the final performance of the next gen consoles, but the same logic still applies.

I’m going £350 for this …£550 for the X

All Ms has to do is this:

Xbox Series S - Up to 4k gaming Xbox Series X - Up to 8k gaming

£300 for this, £475 for XSX.

But that’s not true…

tbh I feel it might be 300 for Lockhart and 600 for Series X

In my opinion, Microsoft should remove the S from Xbox One.

This way, on shelves will be

Xbox One Xbox Series S Xbox Series X

1 Like

There is a separate price thread.

1 Like

If you go by the leaked controller, that’s what they are doing. It said Xbox One, PC, Mobile, Xbox Series X/S

1 Like