Tom Warren: XSS GPU to be 20CU running at 1.55Ghz ≈ 3.97TF

Tom Warren is usually quite reliable, but it does seem odd to go so close to 4tf.

1 Like

Where did they get those numbers from?

And with only 10GB of RAM, wouldn’t it be incapable of running X1X enhanced games, like Forza 7 at 4K/60?

If that isn’t £250 or cheaper it’s dead in the water!!

1 Like

That needs to be cheap as hell.

1 Like

It’s not going to be really cheap I don’t think. Like $200. I think $299 is best case scenario.

Really seems like $499 and $299 to me.

2 Likes

4TF was always the rumor. Now we know CUs and frequency

2 Likes

yea , a lot of this is existing information compiled , really just want to know the price now , only so much you can say about a system just from a specs sheet .

1 Like

Yup. I’ve long felt we are looking at: XSX: $500 PS5: $500 PS5DE: $400-450 XSS: $300

I am wondering when we will get actual prices though. This has been a god awful lead up to a new gen.

I don’t see the appeal if it’s not very cheap, but then I couldn’t understand why people bought the One S when they could buy the One X either…

It seems to be aimed at a resolution lower than 4k, hence the lower RAM. So yes, but that’s ok. My X is currently connected to a 1440p screen, so depending on how this works, I might be the target audience for this. Not everyone needs /wants / can afford 4k right now.

2 Likes

Especially with DirectML, you could basically upscale the resolution to 4K with good results.

I’m expecting the SS to come in around $349 or even more. Having owned a 1S, and not being able to play much of anything new on it for awhile now, I think the value proposition is terrible. I consider the 1S to have been a waste of money, and this will be the same.

1440p 60 fps my ass… maybe in BC mode or cross gen games. I expect the PS5 to be pulling those resolutions and frame rates with complexities like UE5. 1080p is the top end realistic specs for this box on next-gen games. Initially cheaper gamers will be fine with the SS, but when the real games start coming out I expect that tune to change quickly.

So you’re suggesting the box will be 349 or more but also barely able to play 1080p games

2 Likes

If it’s using full RDNA 2.0 that means they will use DLSS method to upscale those 1440p 60fps to 4K. Which will still be great for gaming for budget users, and it will still look good at 4K. I mean that 10GB of ram for the GPU is what gives it away.

Guess AI upscaling is in full swing for next gen games. While the XSS won’t have the visual fidelity of the XSX, it will still be playing at 4k 60fps with the 1440p quality clarity.

In other words its not going to be a blurry mess.

2 Likes

Basically that, I expect a full use of ML for the Series S.

1 Like

Yes. I’m expecting the PS5 and SX to be in the $600 range. Do you remember the results on UE5 demo for PS5? That is one and half times more powerful than the SS will be. As for the cost, that is covered elsewhere. Look at the price of the 1S and PS4 for a taste of the baseline cost. The last generation machines won’t even run the newer games, except maybe at 720p or less …

RDNA2 does not have dedicated cores for performing ML related tasks. If they do this on the consoles itll be using GPU resources that would have been used for other stuff.

1 Like

All consoles will be able to do 4K. The 1S can output in 4K and watch Blu-ray/Netflix in 4K. Not being able to run previous generation games at max settings is lame.

The console is designed to target 1080p TV owners who are more budget conscious. Anyone that wants a high end console to replace their One X can get a Series X. The design makes perfect sense.

1 Like