Tips for old games that are MASSIVELY improved on Xbox Series X

Bear in mind there are far more mods for FO4 on xbox too. The PS4 has more restrictions on what can be actually modded.

Tell me Why has auto HDR and it looks very damn good. More and more am I starting to prefer auto HDR over ā€œproperā€ HDR by some of these games that have it. Too much issues and nonsense with games like ACV (and many others) to get HDR looking good at all, I often just disable it. And so far auto HDR has been superb.

Oh yeah Series x for mod heavy games and revisiting old ones. Just need to find one :slight_smile:

Testing this one now and indeed runs great. Auto hdr works nice on it too.

Only wish resolution were higher. The low resolution really sticks out in a 4k tv.

How does Psychonauts and the Dishonored Definitive Edition perform/look on series x?

I can only speak for Dishonoured. But iirc its 4k locked 30fps on all of them, with Auto HDR only working on the expansion, Death of the Outsider.

1 Like

I got Dishonored Definitive Edition about a month ago and itā€™s definitely not X enhanced in any way (with pretty mediocre IQ even for a 1080p title, maybe FXAA?), Dishonored 2 and DotO are dynamic 4K/30fps plus some more really nice graphical improvements like 4K textures among other things. DH2 and DotO both look amazing with the X enhanced patches IMO, art direction is top-tier and with the higher resolution/settings the games really shine.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure this has been mentioned, but Monster Hunter World is a massive difference. Felt like a locked 60 on their resolution mode, which runs at around 1800p. Looks and plays great.

1 Like

Oh apologies on the original. But the second and the expansion are no longer dynamic on the series x. Theyā€™re hitting native 4k now at all times. And where I used to get dropped frames on the second on x1x, its now locked on sx. As I mentioned though, Auto HDR only appeared to be engaging on the expansion when I tried.

Regardless, apologies for any confusion on the original.

1 Like

Is this any good as a single player game? Also is the HDR any good? Iā€™ve always been curious, but on the x1x the performance reviews were pretty awful and when I saw a more recent analysis on SX it still seemed to be missing 60 a lot. Albeit in heavy fight scenes.

But then everyone who ever posts about it on SX says its greatā€¦ Iā€™ve just always been left a bit confused.

Iā€™ve only ever really played it as single player. Have gone on a few runs with friends but with the mission failure counting every death, it sometimes makes things harder.

HDR wise, on a tv with decent/high peak brightness, it looks really good. For example I first played it on my 4 series TCL, about as budget as you can get for 4k HDR, and it felt very dim to me. Playing on my 6 series of a couple years ago and it feels bright and vibrant.

As for the performance, I donā€™t notice the dips too often but I did contrast and compare directly with a PS4 Pro and it felt night and day difference, fps wise. Worst case if the performance does dip too much, you can switch over to performance mode which should be a rock solid 60.

Oh, and sorry, yes this game is fantastic as a single player game. You need to enjoy the mechanics of the hunt though, as sometimes you spend longer than youā€™d think tracking the monster before taking it out. The music is great, the fights are intense and the combat variety is massive. Iā€™d highly recommend checking out some basic combo videos for whatever weapon choice you decide to go with.

2 Likes

Thanks and appreciated. I have an OLED, so if the HDR was fine for you, should be fine for me too.
Iā€™ll check out some more youtube gameplay vids :slight_smile:

Yeah I was talking about the X enhancement improvements so naturally the Series X will max out the dynamic resolution and clear the frame drops with ease. Actually I am trying to make Opatschi give a chance to this amazing series. :innocent:

Also there is no need to apologize man, I didnā€™t point out the fact that the Series X would be full 4K and a steady 30fps on Series X and instead focused on how the games look and run on the One X so itā€™s not that I did a good job pointing out the improvements haha

2 Likes

Thanks. I just wished they upped them to 60fps for SX. Whilst I managed loads of games at 30fps on the x1x, for some reason I did struggle with Dishonored 2 at 30fps, part of which I think was down to the FOV. Its also a shame that only the expansion is Auto HDR enabled.

Hopefully with Bethesda becoming part of xbox, wouldnā€™t it be great if lots of their back catalogue got further optimised for SX. I can dreamā€¦

1 Like

Can you tell me what you set contrast, brightness and the third option in the game at? I remember the HDR being rather bad, but sounds like they fixed it?

Take a look in the community hangout channel :yum:

Obv not an old game really, but restarted Jedi Fallen Order tonight and the increased resolution in performance mode really had it feeling like the way the game was meant to be played. Locked 60 FPS and 1440 is a nice boost to sharpness, felt noticeable compared to my earlier few hours on One X at mostly 60 / 1080.

2 Likes

Iā€™m having issues with 30fps games now. The blur (regardless of motion blur) of the background on camera movement is now unbearable to me. Iā€™d play a 480p game at 60fps on my OLED before Iā€™d touch any resolution at 30fps, now. Itā€™s not a preference thing, either. I literately cannot focus on the image and I start to get watery eyes and headaches. Wolfenstein and Vermintide are the latest examples while Vermintide 2 is fine! I hope Xboxā€™s double framerate fix comes soon!

2 Likes

Sure, but itā€™s better when you mix it up. Do some hunts single-player, some in groups. Some 2 players with two Palicos.

Itā€™s the best videogame of this entire generation.

2 Likes

I agree, i cant handle 30fps anymore

I want to play

Fallout 4, Prey and Dishonored 2

But cant stand 30fps anymoreā€¦ at least Fallout will get that patch (and it CAN be modded to 60fps, but that feels a bit iffy)

Really hope that framerate doubler is for many gamesā€¦